Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 14348 times)

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Geocaching
« on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:23 PM »
An outdoor activity my family enjoys is geocaching. You might ask what that is? Well it's a game of sorts played with a GPS and a keen eye.

It all starts with getting the coordinates online at geocaching.com or similar. Taking those coordinates you go off in hunt of the elusive cache. The reason you need a keen eye is that most civilian GPS units will only get to within about 15 feet of the cache. from there the hunt is on, because it is the goal of the person hiding the cache to do just that... HIDE IT!

Caches can be any container. I have seen ammo cans, coffee cans, and Tupperware containers used for the regular size caches. Then there is the micro cache where altoid tins, breath strip containers, and 35mm film cannisters are used. I have even found one where a film cannister was camouflaged by gluing pieces of pine cone to it so it looked like a pine cone, and then hanging it from a branch with a hook of wire (very cool!). The only rule with the caches is that it has to have the minimum of a log sheet for the seekers to log their cache.

The goal of the hunter is to find the cache and log it. On the regular caches there is treasure or swag that you can take as long as you replace it with something else (of the same or greater value by etiquette). Once a cache is found and logged it must be put back where it was found so that others have the same opportunity, then the geocacher can move on to the next cache.... etc. At the end of the day the cacher can go online and log the caches he/she has found to receive credit for the cache.

The cool thing about this activity is that it is reasonably inexpensive. The GPS is the most expensive thing, but it is a one time expense. A GPS that will work well for caching only costs around $100. They can get into the thousands by adding all the bells and whistles, but a $100 model has the same receiver as the more expensive ones. Other expenses are gas and swag. I usually go to the dollar store to get swag, because that is generally what most swag is in the caches. Other expenses can be hiking gear and things like that. But there are caches located in the cities as well.

This is a very fun thing to do as a family and gets everyone outdoors.

For more information on geocaching go to www.geocaching.com You can also post any questions here and I can try and answer them.

If you are a geocacher post here and share. Help change some muggles into cachers.  :)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »
I haven't done it, yet!   I did sign up for the site and my handheld GPS is ready for the hunt.  Soon as it gets alittle bit warmer, my boys and I are off to the hunt.  I did a search on that site for caches around here and believe it or not, there were like 15 of them.   This would be a great Saturday or Sunday thing to do with the kids.   My boys are excited about it and I know that I am.   Can't wait.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »
In my area, within a 50 mile radius there are nearly 1000 (977), within a 100 mile radius there are over 2500 caches. There is no way I will ever find them all, but I can try.  :D

Offline floridamcmarion1

• Proud Daddy Of Khadijah, Joe, Bryan & Faith
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Maybe it's about time I get a pic of myself put up
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:27:22 PM »
I started geocaching in June of 2004 when I got a GPS for Father's Day.  I was constantly going until my daughter was born in August of 2004.  She is now getting big enough to go on some caches, so I need to get doing it again.  My boys love it!  I'm looking forward to doing some caches when I go to Oregon for my brother's birthday next month.  Since I'm going for a week by myself I plan to spend one day just doing caches.

Marion

"Some people collect stamps.....but me....I collect children.  If I collect any more I'll have to trade my van in for a bus!"

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 02:46:10 PM »
I like to geocache when we are on vacation too. Last year when we went to Big Trees California State Park, we took an extra day on our way back and geocached along our rout. We saw a bunch of stuff that we wouldn't have seen had we stuck to staying on the freeway. It made it a lot of fun.

TAZZFANN

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »
How's the Geocaching doing?

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 08:49:33 PM »
I haven't been able to go yet.   Been working alot of OT.   Trying to get some bills caught up.   

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 02:11:50 AM »
Been too rainy & snowy o my days off for quite awhile.

TAZZFANN

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 11:31:43 AM »
snowy??

Where do you live man

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 11:46:14 AM »
Sparks Nevada, elevation about 5,000 feet, in the foothills of the Sierras. Lake Tahoe is about 30 min from here. There are also many ski resorts located within an hour of here. We've still been getting snow up in the mountains and rain here in the valley. I WANT SPRING TO GET HERE DAMNIT!!!

TAZZFANN

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »
Ha Ha we have it... 68 and sunny as hell

NYC (Long Island)

TAZZFANN

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »
Not to rub it in or anything

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 02:27:19 PM »
You??? Rub it in??? Never!

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 02:36:06 PM »
HA!! It's finally warming up, hopefully it will last for more than a few days. Right now it is 11:30 and it is 56 F out. Nice.... now I really want to get out and play. Knowing my luck though, it will get cold and rain this weekend. We've gotten more rain here in the last few weeks than we normally get in a year.

TAZZFANN

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 09:02:53 AM »
That Sucks big Time

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution