Author Topic: Being a Stay At Home Dad Does Not Make Me a Mr. Mom!  (Read 8136 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 75
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Being a Stay At Home Dad Does Not Make Me a Mr. Mom!
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
Due to most women now being able to bring home around the same amount of money that their male partners do, it is certainly not surprising that you will find overall one in seven fathers are the primary care givers of their children.    But the subject “is this type of care really a win, win environment” is brought up very often as it is not the norm to have a stay at home dad.

Day care can sometimes be an extremely overwhelming cost on your personal finances, draining you of all the extra money that is coming in the household.  Does each parent keep working in their jobs and pay a large piece of that income for childcare or is it simply wiser for the main top earner to continue to do their high paying job and for the other parent to make it their role in the relationship to care for the young children, and this in turn will mean becoming a stay at home dad.  This is not a possibility but a reality that is taking place all over the world.

Is there anything wrong with stay at home dads?
NO!  There is nothing wrong with stay at home dads at all, with the change in today’s society, guys currently have a lot more rights whenever this situation takes place and can handle childcare better compared to how they did in previous generations.
Stay at home dads today have definitely got rights to request much more flexible earning and living standards, as long as they have young kids under the age of 16.  Anyone issuing an application for leave of absence must get permission by writing from the individual’s company and should try to display how it will actually work in practice either by offering to work from home or coming to a compromise of some sort.  Regardless of all of this, many fathers fear asking for leave due to pride or even embarrassment.  It is definitely harder for a male to take prolonged paternity leave and even harder for them to make the decision to leave work completely.

Males can additionally now demand more lengthy periods for stay at home dads and even take on shared roles so the income stream is not totally gone.  This decision has the ability to sometimes be more beneficial to both parents when the male parent wants much more time on to spend with his new-born baby.  Also this can help on a financial basis if the mother can bring in a high income.

Stay at home dads are on the increase.
There is actually a community of stay at home dads and it is growing throughout western culture this means that it has become more socially acceptable for males to stay at home.  In fact, in a lot of cases the male partner can make a better home than his wife as she may be more suited to be working.  If you are looking to become a stay at home dad then there is a lot of information available on the internet and also you will find that you can work from home too as the children grow up and go to school.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Re: Being a Stay At Home Dad Does Not Make Me a Mr. Mom!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
I think that another contributor to the rise in stay at home dads is the economy. A lot of dads that had high or decent paying jobs have lost their jobs due to cutbacks. If the only job that is available for them to land earns less than day care costs then it makes sense to take the kids out of day care.

Dads are definitely suited to be stay at home. Many may have a different style than moms, but they can get the job done. There are some dads that really are not suited for the job of a SAHD, but then there are moms that are equally unsuited.

kindledad

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
When i watch the baby for the day, i find that it is harder than actually going in to office.
Being a stay at home dad is HARD! kudos to every dad that does it.

GirouxZone

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
Occasionally, my wife will wonder aloud "what I do all day long" as a stay at home Dad. Usually if I go do something for myself and I'm gone for a while, or out of town for a day, I'll get home and she'll wonder aloud "how in the world do you do this"?

I always just say yes, I do work. I just don't get paid!

But yeah, I understand the resistance to the "Mr. Mom" title, even though that movie was funny. I'm taking care of my daughter, but as part of that, instead of seeing me bake cupcakes, she sees me renovating the basement, fixing stuff, and doing the heavy lifting in the yard. Same benefit of care, without being "Mom", as it were.

TrekkerDad

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Occasionally, my wife will wonder aloud "what I do all day long" as a stay at home Dad. Usually if I go do something for myself and I'm gone for a while, or out of town for a day, I'll get home and she'll wonder aloud "how in the world do you do this"

LOL! Last weekend, I got slammed by the flu. Hit me out of the blue and hit me hard. After a trip to urgent care, and a few shots and meds, I got home and collapsed for two days. I could barely move. Which left my wife with the kids. :laugh2:

By the evening of the FIRST day, after only about 8 hours, she came into the bedroom with a screaming child under each arm, snot all over her shirt, peanut butter in her hair, and asked me how in the world I handled these heathens without going crazy! :rollinglaugh:

I loved it. I just smiled and said, "I do what I need to do to make sure you can enjoy your career to the fullest, Sweetheart" Since then, I've noticed that she helps out a whole lot more with the kids. And she no longer asks me why the laundry didn't get done today!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:48:12 PM by TrekkerDad »

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
As awesome as that is, it's sad it has to come to that to be reminded how important that role is.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

bigpapagosik

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »
I love this. It reminds me pf the episode od home improvement where tim took care of the lids when jill went bacl to wprk. 

CoffeeKev

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
Thinking back over thousands of years of history for the family unit. Isn't it safe to say that the "Natural" for the family is to have both the parents accessible for the children? I mean we only  have to go back to just before the industrial revolution. The mom and dad were both working hard on the farm (Atleast in the case of a LARGE portion of families). And they could have both been considered "Stay At Home Parents". I used to get all messed up in the emotions when people would call me Mr. Mom. But hey the fact of the matter is. Well yeah, if we look at the modern understanding of what a mom is, I supose that's true. either way I am glad that I can come to a place like :righton:. But yeah, instead of doing girlie things in the house we are usually doing the hard stuff. Like building things, rebuilding the quad, stuffs like that. S'cool with me

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
My wife can't hardly deal with the kids for the 3 - 4 hours after she gets home from work, let alone a whole day.  I actually enjoy giving her the opportunity to deal with them for an afternoon, or whole day when I can just to remind her how frustrating it is all day and how much work it is.  I consider myself a patient man, but man, these kids get to me and they get to me fast.  She has less patience than I do so its even worse for her.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution