Author Topic: New National Alert System  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
New National Alert System
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
So we will have a new national alert system.   What do you guys think about this?

I'm not one to say that the government is wanting total control of us, but with this system they could actually turn off our tvs and our radios.  I have heard rumors that it will include the internet as well.  I'm not for sure on that one, but what about cell phones and landline phones?

I truly hope that it is just for alerts and for disasters or whatnot.  But this does give the government control at anytime to shutdown how we access our information and communication. 

So, my question is, How do you guys feel about this?   

The link and story are below.

Next Wednesday, Nov. 9, when you’re settling down to watch “One Life to Live” on ABC, your other favorite daytime TV program, or listening to the radio at 2:00pm EST/11:00am PST, the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will conduct the first ever nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS).
The test will be carried on all broadcast television, radio stations, and cable and satellite television systems in the U.S. and U.S. territories. Although EAS has been used locally for many tests and notifications, such as tornadoes, there has never been a nationwide test.
Although an audio notification will state, “This is a test,” the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the FCC say that because of limitations in the old alert system, not all TV stations may be able to carry the words “This is a test” on some TV screens.
The system, initially designed in the 1950s, is run by FEMA and the FCC.  In 2006 President Bush signed an executive order to mandate the nationwide system and national alert capability.
Since the national system has never been tested, DHS officials say this is an important trial to see how it works. It is expected to last 30 seconds.
FEMA and the FCC want to ensure that the deaf and those hard of hearing, people with cognitive or mental health concerns, senior citizens, and people not proficient in English are aware of it.
“You may not see the familiar test banner crawling across your screens. We want you to know this is a test,” FEMA administrator Craig Fugate said in a recent video posted on FEMA’s website.
FEMA has more information and videos here:
www.fema.gov/eastest/
“It’s our opportunity to check to make sure that our systems are working across the country if we have a national emergency.  Because of the system design not all of you will see the crawl that says this is a test.  It will say this is an emergency alert. But we want you to understand this is a test,” Fugate said.
Officials say the system could be used to ensure that the President and officials can address the nation during a significant emergency such as a natural disaster, terrorist attack or cyber incident.
DHS and FEMA are currently working on expanding the EAS  by developing the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS), which will allow nationwide alerts to be sent to wireless mobile devices and phones. Working with the FCC, they are also working on the Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) and the Personalized Local Alert Network (PLAN), which would allow local alerts to be sent wireless technology and devices.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/national-alert-test-next-wednesday-this-is-a-test-this-is-only-a-test/

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline iDad

• Make my day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 6
  • Helping Dads,all over the www.
    • idadgraphics.com
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Norm
Re: New National Alert System
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »
"government control" is only going to take more of  our freedoms away............... WHAT'S NEXT?

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
So we will have a new national alert system.   What do you guys think about this?

I'm not one to say that the government is wanting total control of us, but with this system they could actually turn off our tvs and our radios.  I have heard rumors that it will include the internet as well.  I'm not for sure on that one, but what about cell phones and landline phones?

I truly hope that it is just for alerts and for disasters or whatnot.  But this does give the government control at anytime to shutdown how we access our information and communication. 

Funny thing is, I have seen exactly that done. When you are deployed. They can shut down ALL forms of communication. No internet, no haji cell phones, no land lines...heck, I'd bet they gave the Air Force instructions to shoot down our paper air planes (incase we tried to scribe a message in them) and the Navy instructions to torpedo any messages in a bottle!  :LMAO:

Ok so I got carried away with the Air Force and Navy cracks but the rest was absolutely true! It's called a "black out." Consider our over sea's bases a testing ground...Just sayin'...

Offline James Reardon

• HAPPY NEW YEAR DAD's!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 7
  • It's been a while but, I'm back once again.
  • Children?: 4
  • First Name?: James
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »
I don't know, but if a hurricane hits my house and I get blown down the street because I had to answer the damn phone instead of taking cover, I am gonna be pissed....
Thanks,
James Reardon

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
I don't know, but if a hurricane hits my house and I get blown down the street because I had to answer the damn phone instead of taking cover, I am gonna be pissed....
  :LMAO: That is SO true! I have litterally gotten up from the hallway to grab the phone during a tornado warning. Just to find out that it was another warning!

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
I can see where you guys are going with that but I can also see how that would have been great to have on 9/11.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »
Your right Randy, and I agree.   But my point is why do they want to be able to shut down ALL channels and radio stations.  Why not just do a mandatory channel switch?  I mean it will automatically tune to a certain channel with all the info we need....we can turn it if we want.   

I just don't like the fact that they can "at any time" take away tv and radio from me.   And I guarantee it won't end with just the tv and radio. 

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »
The end goal is to take over your private thoughts...

:china:

mccoym

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
When I first heard about it I immediately thought of 1984.  I get the idea behind the national alert system but I'm still leery of where this could possibly lead.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
If they want to reach the populace in a way that the people will understand, they should create a game on Facebook called Disasterville and then post to our walls.

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
If they want to reach the populace in a way that the people will understand, they should create a game on Facebook called Disasterville and then post to our walls.
  :LMAO: Sad but true!

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
My company is seeing bits and pieces of this being put into place.  There's already a project called Wireless Priority Service where city, state and federal officials (including emergency responders) will have call priority during a crisis.  They can't disconnect calls in progress, but if they want to start a call, they'll have priority on the phone switches.

We are also putting in Phase 1 of a "text blast" system that will send alerts to mobile phones in case of flood, earthquake, tsunami, etc., warnings, similar to what was done for Japan during this last disaster.  It's just an SMS sent to the mobile phone (at no cost to the customer, and should work even if they've disabled SMS).

What I personally don't like is Phase 2 of the "text blast" system where local businesses will be able to purchase a service that, based on your geolocation (obviously if it's turned on in the phone) will send you ads for their business to your phone (thing Groupon at a local neighborhood level).

Shutting down communications only makes sense if they want to keep the communication channels clear for disaster updates or instructions on where to go or what to do.  Beyond that...dunno.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

troygreen

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 05:48:17 AM »
For the very first time ever, the Countrywide Emergency Alert System will be fully tested on Nov. 9. This test will cover all radio, television, satellite radio and broadcast satellite suppliers; location-aware alert systems that concentrate on wireless programs are due to come online in 2012. I found this here: National Emergency Alert System test planned for Nov. 9 .Everybody will be glad if this will work well.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution