Author Topic: Zombie Books - Anyone else into them?  (Read 2041 times)

working_man

Zombie Books - Anyone else into them?
« on: November 15, 2008, 12:29:45 PM »
I am a nut for Zombie movie, books and stories.  Anyone else into these?  So far I have read:

World War Z  - Max Brooks
The Zombie Survival Guide - Mel Brooks
The Dead Sea - Brian Keene
Rising - Brian Keene
City of the Dead - Keene
Ghoul - Bran Keene
Monster Island - David Wellington
Monster Nation - David Wellington
Monster Planet - David Wellington
The Morning Star Strain: Plague of the Dead - Z. A. Recht
Thunder and Ashes The Morning Star Strain - Z.A. Recht

To be honest - I really enjoyed all of these - they each seem to have a unique twist on the zombie myth.  If pressed, I would say The Keene and Wellington books were my favorites.  Any other "zed-heads" out there?

outlikealight

Re: Zombie Books - Anyone else into them?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:36:05 PM »
I really enjoyed World War Z. I'm going to look into those Brian Keene books. I've never heard of them. Thanks for posting this.

working_man

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »
I think you will like them a lot - you can get them from Amazon and they also stock em at Borders.  I highly recommend starting with "The Rising" if you are going with Keene. Very addictive page turners.

outlikealight

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »
I'm on it. Amazon Prime here I come  ~o).

BagABones

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
 :righton:

Definately check out the 3 part Anthology series : The book of all flesh, the book of more flesh and final flesh. All are edited by James Lowder and are excellent.

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »
I frigging love zombie culture!!!! I can't believe i just saw this thread! Guys, please give me a best of so i can start my collection.
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline spddrcr

• missing in action on xboxlive
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • just say no to the brady's
    • AKNewMedia
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:52:23 AM »
ive been listening to the zombie survival guide in my car, people usually look at me funny when im stopped at traffic lights with my window open :laugh2:

BagABones

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
I frigging love zombie culture!!!! I can't believe i just saw this thread! Guys, please give me a best of so i can start my collection.

Dead City --- Joe McKinney

Autumn --- David Moody

The Rising --- Brian Keene

The Rising : Selected Scenes From The End Of The World --- Brian Keene

City Of The Dead --- Brian Keene

Dead Sea--- Brian Keene

The Monster Trilogy (Island, Nation, Planet) --- David Wellington

The Undead Zombie Anthology--- Eric S. Brown

The Undead Skin And Bones--- Eric S. Brown

Deathbringer --- Bryan Smith

The Dead Shall Inherit The Earth--- Vincent Churchill

World War Z --- Max Brooks

Roses Of Blood On Barbwire Thorns ---- D.L. Snell

Zombie Survival Guide --- Max Brooks

The Living Dead Anthology --- John Joseph Adams

The Dead --- Mark E. Rogers

Chronicles Of The Apocalypse: Species --- Michael McBride

Day By Day Armageddon --- J.L. Bourne (this one for sure)

Dead In The West – Joe R. Lansdale

The Book Of All Flesh --- James Lowder

The Book Of More Flesh --- James Lowder

The Book Of Final Flesh --- James Lowder

This is about half of the list that I've read.

Generalfrag

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:27:49 AM »
Lol.  While I can't say that I am into it as much as some of you guys, I do enjoy a good zombie tale every now and again.  A friend of mine got me started reading a graphic novel series called "The Walking Dead".  The books are written by Robert Kirkman.  I've been reading the trade paper version of the books so that I get several issues read in one sitting.  I've read through the first 3 books and they are pretty good.  The author is trying to focus on what would life be like if zombies really started walking the earth.  His characters really evolve as time goes on so it's worth checking it out to see how their life changes.

Offline Leukoi

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
It's not really a 'zombie' book per se, but how about a possessed tank?  I read this book when I was a kid, and I still own it.  I met Tom Townsend when I was younger, and the guy is an incredible person.  I have one of his books that he autographed for me.  He has written a ton of books about shipwrecks off the Gulf Coast, and when he writes books, fictional or not, I guarantee you they are accurate in their detail.  The guy does his homework. 

The one I would recommend is Panzer Spirit.  It's about a WWII German tank that sort of develops a mind of its own.  You can check out the reviews at Amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/Panzer-Spirit-Tom-Townsend/dp/051700819X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249652301&sr=1-1

BagABones

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 06:04:07 AM »
Lol.  While I can't say that I am into it as much as some of you guys, I do enjoy a good zombie tale every now and again.  A friend of mine got me started reading a graphic novel series called "The Walking Dead".  The books are written by Robert Kirkman.  I've been reading the trade paper version of the books so that I get several issues read in one sitting.  I've read through the first 3 books and they are pretty good.  The author is trying to focus on what would life be like if zombies really started walking the earth.  His characters really evolve as time goes on so it's worth checking it out to see how their life changes.

Oh, yeah. Great series. Really surprising the twists that he throws into the mix. I recently submitted a short story for a zombie anthology coming out. Haven't heard back yet and its driving me nuts.

Resdawg2

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »
I have also read  The Walking Dead hardbacks, good stuff.  The 4th hardback is due out in january, i think.  Alos read the Zombie Survial Guide and the Resident Evil. I plan on getting World War Z on audio. Oh, and I just read The Zombie Survial Guide:Recorded Attacksby Brooks, more of a graphic novel but I enjoyed it.

supertim

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
Some of the Marvel Zombies trades is cool to check out.  Imagine Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine etc as zombies. 

shadowdancer21b

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
There is a great Zombie story anthology that came out in the 80s called "Book of the Dead".  Some great stories in there.  Foreward by George A. Romero himself!  Edited by John Skipp and Craig Spector.  Included such authors as Steven R. Boyett, Ramsey Campbell, Stephen King, and Joe R. Lansdale to name only a few.  :BNB:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:24:51 PM by shadowdancer21b »

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution