Author Topic: The Stop Smoking Thread  (Read 10572 times)

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
The Stop Smoking Thread
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:59:47 AM »
So I'm taking part of the initiative from Joey's thread in order to help those of us that want to quit but haven't been able to cross the threshold to non-smokerdom or reformed smoke-aholic if you will.

I'd like some idea's from you guys as to what to put in here as well so let's start there.

I'm thinking that, much like the DOOD's thread we can all use tips and tricks and things to help us take our mind off of it.

The first tip that I can think of is to identify your habit spots, name anything you do where the first thing you think is "Where's my smokes?"  These are going to be your trouble spots and they'll need to be eliminated, if you're going by a cut-back method to quit smoking, start with these spots and get something in your life to take over that addiction.

If you're getting medical assistance of any kind, tell us what you think of it, tell us if it works for you.  Zyban didn't work for me.  One of Zyban's biggest side-effects (aside from the long list of improbable heart problems) is insomnia.  Seeing as I've had insomnia before, my doctor kept a close eye on me for two weeks.  3 days into the second week I stopped sleeping.  By the end of the second week I had had 3 hours of sleep since Wednesday and I was taken off of Zyban.

Offline joey791

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Re: The Stop Smoking Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
Good job Bill

The only thing I can add starting off is I was on and off the patch several times. It changes your sleeping habits and causes some very crazy dreams also, I'm talking wierd, even for me. It worked for me once but after trying on a few other occasions it didnt have the power to help like it did the first time and I smoked almost as much with the patch as without. A word of warning you can overdose on nicotine if you use the patch and continue to smoke.

I am also another Zyban failure. I can take the going without sleeping but as many as you know I am a commercial HVAC Controls mechanic. I was on Zyban for FIVE days. I developed a rash on my forhead as long and as wide as my forehead almost that was sensitive to the sun. Everytime the sun hit the rash it felt like someone took a hot skillet and was pressing it against my forehead and this was during the middle of the summer so guess where I was 99% of the time. Cost me 200 bucks to take 5 pills :LMAO:

Laser therapy, if anyone has had this let us know, heard there is decent odds but 300 dollars is a good bit of money.

Hypnotism, my mom and her friend went to a hypnotist seminar to quit smoking, my mom wasnt able to but her friend was that day.

I will not be going into full swing mode until I get my hands on Chantix, I will need something to help me do this. On that note I'm happy to hear people have quit cold turkey but I never have been able to, so I would please ask lets not have the willpower/weak mind discussion because all it has ever ended up doing is making me feel like a failure/bad because I am a strong willed person but nicotine addiction has some kind of power over me.

Seeing as this is a work in progress we can continue to add as we go.

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:42 AM »
Yeah, this is NOT a thread about the willpower/weak mind debate.  This thread is here for support.  If you are quitting cold turkey, congratulations!!!  Obviously if there was one thing that worked 100% of the time this thread wouldn't need to be here.

This is a thread for help and encouragement only.

Offline Fleury

• "Right Turn Clide"
  • Daddy Sr.
  • Liked: 22
  • Laid Back and Relaxed!! oh ya, and Competative
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Brad
  • Xbox Gamertag: Jig72x
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:53:27 AM »
Good job Bill

The only thing I can add starting off is I was on and off the patch several times. It changes your sleeping habits and causes some very crazy dreams also, I'm talking wierd, even for me.
LOL, Ya my dreams are messed up!! I too was smoking (only at work) with the patch on. Home wasn't a problem. I stopped using the patch last week for fear of ODing on nicotene. I think I'm ready to get back on the wagon.

"There is only one way to settle this, "Chinese Downhill

Offline vegaskiller73

• Too good to be caught around Damian and Joey
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »
Good start here Bill.

I have been trying to quit(kinda) for a long time. I have tried the patches and other methods.
Back in late last year I got on Chantix. I thought it was expensive but found out my insurance covered it. Then I had gotten the ad pack from the doctor and there was a $30 off card that can be used 3 time @ $10 off each refill. I didn't finish the first perscription. Also I found out that if you buy it online BlueCross blueshield will cover a good portion of it. It is expensive, but there are was to get it cheaper.

My mom got on Chantix and after 3 weeks hated the smell of smoke. She quit but my stepdad still smokes but not around her.
I did Chantix for 2 weeks and it made me really sick with an upset stomach. Even if I had eaten something, 1.5 hours later I felt like I had to puke. Really didn't like that side effect.

With me drinking makes it even harder. When I drink I smoke. So for me I'll have to break both habits.
I think for me it's harder to break the habit more than breaking the addiction. Eat-smoke, coffee-smoke, drink-smoke, sex-smoke :laugh2: .

After Mardi Gras, I plan to make a big effort to quit. Especially after I just got interviewed by my son. He had a health project for school and I was the person that he decided to interview. Some of those questions were real eye openers.

Anyway, I plan to come here more often for help and possible tricks. :biggrin:

Offline jbpdvm

• I have lots of guns and an "emasculator". Who wants to date my daughter??
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:49 AM »
I couldn't use the patch. I had really weird dreams with the patch. The nicotine gum worked, but when I quit the gum I started smoking again.  THe only thing I found that stopped the craving for nicotine was acupuncture.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

Offline Rich M

• If I set up a day to meet online, I'll be there three days later......maybe.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
After 20 years of smoking my wife and I quit at the same time.  She used the laser therapy thing and I did it cold turkey.  I will post up some more info about the laser therapy (I'm at work now), but something that helped me was knowing that we were both doing it at the same time.  I had tried to quit before, but as long as she was still smoking in the house, and in the car, and everywhere else, I never made it more than a couple of days. 

I did gain a little weight after quitting, but it's a he!! of a lot easier to reverse the effects of that than it is to reverse lung/throat/mouth damage from smoking!
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about??

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
I'm a miserable failure at quitting.

I had attempted to quit 15 years ago. Went on the patch and experienced the same weird dreams as the rest of you guys. It really freaked me out, but at the end of the day I could feel it working so I continued to use it. I was able to stay clean for 5 years.

I then got involved in a high-stress project at work and our team went to a happy hour and that was all it took and I'm disgusted with myself to this day.

I've tried various other methods with mixed results. I did one cycle of Chantix after hearing great results from others. I noticed the change in taste, and it was bad but not bad enough for me to quit. I've also had some success with the Commit lozenges where I've been able to quit for months at a time.

The chink in the armor for me has always been alcohol. After a few vodka and tonics my inhibitions go out the window and I'll smoke one after the other.

I've noticed the times I've had success were where I (tried to) convince myself that I was going to quit. I'm getting close to that point again, yet here I sit just waiting for that next smoke break. :banghead:

I guess I really don't have any advice. I'll just share in the misery of everyone else and keep my eyes open for some good tips.

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:31:17 PM »
The one thing anyone trying to quit must know is that they have to truly want to quit. If you don't, it makes it so much worse. I have tried to quit several times, but I didn't have a true desire to quit. Without that, starting back up is way to easy to do.

Bill, great idea about that trouble spots. I'd be screwed, tho, cause my trouble spots are when driving.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »
The one thing anyone trying to quit must know is that they have to truly want to quit. If you don't, it makes it so much worse. I have tried to quit several times, but I didn't have a true desire to quit. Without that, starting back up is way to easy to do.

Bill, great idea about that trouble spots. I'd be screwed, tho, cause my trouble spots are when driving.

We don't smoke in the house and as I've said that makes it easier to cut back.  I don't smoke with the kids in the car... when they aren't in the car, it is a habit spot.  Work is my other biggy.  So I figure that so long as I win the lottery I'll never have to drive again and I won't have to go work... Problem solved.

Offline pinhead1376

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
As a non-smoker, I have no idea what it's like to try to quit.  I know it's addicting, but why is it soo hard to quit?
I am serious and don't call me surely.

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »
because of the habit. the nicotine is out of your body in a few days, a habit takes 28 days to make or break.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:24:02 PM by Chef Dad »
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
Nicotine (How it works)    *   Nicotine causes chemical and biological changes in the brain. Although it is less dramatic than heroin or cocaine, the strength of the addiction is just as powerful. It is a “reinforcing” drug, which means that users desire the drug regardless of the damaging effects.
    * The human body builds a tolerance to nicotine and the effect of the drug is reduced over time. As a result, regular smokers can inhale greater amounts of smoke and toxins without showing immediate effects (ie. coughing, nausea).
    * Nicotine is considered addictive because it alters brain functioning and because people use it compulsively. Addiction to nicotine is not immediate – it may take weeks or months to develop.

Levels of dependency
    *   Levels of dependency vary, but 80% of smokers have a cigarette every one to two hours throughout the day.
    * A highly addicted smoker – smoking more than 25 cigarettes a day – ranks the first cigarette in the day as the most important, and will smoke within 30 minutes of waking up.

Withdrawal Symptoms

*   Nicotine addiction is a physical dependency. Withdrawal symptoms can be severe and many smokers might not be able to quit on their first attempt because of these symptoms, and a lack of preparation to cope with withdrawal.
    * The most severe withdrawal symptoms occur within the first week although the craving for cigarettes can persist for months even years. The desire to smoke can be especially strong when a person is under stress although others crave cigarettes while socializing or when bored. The typical withdrawal symptoms are:
          o headaches
          o anxiety and irritability
          o difficulty concentrating and sleeping
          o hunger
          o decreased heart rate and blood pressure
          o craving for nicotine
    * Other side effects such as fatigue and coughing are indications that the body is in a state of repair and is cleaning out the poisons associated with smoking.
    * Your body uses food more slowly when you first stop smoking. You may eat more when you quit too, so there is a good chance you will gain weight. And, while the average weight gain is 5 pounds, not everyone gains weight when they quit smoking.

Offline Fleury

• "Right Turn Clide"
  • Daddy Sr.
  • Liked: 22
  • Laid Back and Relaxed!! oh ya, and Competative
  • First Name?: Brad
  • Xbox Gamertag: Jig72x
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »
On the note of messed up dreams. I got in the habit of taking the patch off when I went to bed. That seemed to work.
  I was telling a buddy on XBL about the dream thing and he started laughing. He went on to say that he quit using the patch. He actually liked the dreams. His wife would make sure that he didn't put a fresh patch on when he was going to bed.
"There is only one way to settle this, "Chinese Downhill

maccabees65

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 09:49:35 AM »
To everyone on this board. Good luck. I stopped smoking just over 7 years ago. Used to smoke 2 packs of Marlboro fully leaded. It had to be the hardest thing that I have ever done. I used the patch, and that helped me, although it gave me funky dreams. I noticed the talk about this on the forums.

Just to let you know, it is worth it and it can be done. When I get a craving (still do), I just say "I wish I had a cigarette". That usually makes the urge to go away. Also, change the way you drive to work, especially if you smoked on the way there. That helped me a lot. Also changing my morning routine was invaluable.

Hope these little pointers will help some in your journey to be smoke free. Believe me, I did it, you can too.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution