Author Topic: The Stop Smoking Thread  (Read 8572 times)

DgiftedJJV

Re: The Stop Smoking Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »
I've tried a few times and failed, going to grab the patch because cold turkey was incredibly hard. Gotta suck it up and do it for my kids, for my health and at 8 bucks a pack, for my wallet. Thanks for the tips, the changing of the morning routine just might do the trick, had the hardest time in the mornings.

Offline jbpdvm

• I have lots of guns and an "emasculator". Who wants to date my daughter??
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
 :omgsign: Are they really $8 per pack? I  quit when they went up to $3
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

dadof2b0ys

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »
Good Luck to everyone that is trying to quit. I know exactly what you guys are going through. I quit back in '02. I did it cold turkey. While it worked for me, I know that isn't going to work for everyone. No matter how you do it, it is very difficult to do and you really need all of the help you can get.

I think where you live also plays a big part in the difficulty in quiting. I live in New York- you can not smoke in ANY public establishment. Meaning you have to go outside to smoke. Smoking outside in Buffalo in the winter is no fun. I grew up in North Carolina though, there you can pretty much smoke anywhere. So wherever you go you smell it, see it. Makes it more difficult.

Some of the things that helped me-

We never smoked in the house, even in the winter we went outside.

My wife quit at the same time- that helped TREMENDOUSLY. Having her going through it at the same time made things a lot easier. One of my friends had quit at about the same time as I did. His wife never quit. He was good for about three years, now he's back to about a pack a day.

I also tried to avoid coworkers that smoke for about the first six months, especially when they were on smoke breaks. That's just tempting yourself.

I chewed on straws and gum A LOT during the first year or so. I still chew a lot of gum to this day.

For the first year, I would say that the cravings for a smoke were pretty strong. I could have picked them back up no problem. The next few years cigarette smoke actually bothered me. I just tried to avoid being around it as much as possible. It was the smell. I could not stand it. Now it really doesn't bother me at all.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Good luck guys, find what works for you and stick with it. Do not give up. We are all here for support.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »
Well, I am taking the plunge.  I got a prescription for Chantix and I am on my 4th day of taking it.  I just took my first .5mg 2nd dose in a day pill.   So far, everything is going well.  I can already tell that I don't enjoy smoking like I did.  That's a good thing.  I am also not smoking as much and not wanting too.  Another good thing.

I'm waiting on the vivid dreams to happen.  (I love scary dreams.  LOL)

How did everyone else do on Chantix?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »
How did everyone else do on Chantix?

I did 1 cycle of it but it didn't work for me. I noticed the taste of cigarettes got worse but not so bad as to make me quit. :sigh:

My wife and I did the patch 2.5 months ago and have been smoke-free since. This has worked the best of all methods for us. I also downloaded an app for my iPhone (Quitter) that keeps track of how much money I'm saving. When I see that figure (+$500 so far, +$850 between the wife and I) the anger is a great motivator. The key though to any successful attempt is "wanting" to quit. My wife and I reached that point and it sounds like you have too.

Good luck and just take it one day at a time.

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »
Once again, just for the record, my quitting was due to my heart attack ... if I were you, I'd use the patch ... LOLOLOL
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

Mini Man

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 08:46:34 AM »
Chantix has worked awesome for me. At the end of the day though, you have to want it. No medicine or patch will do any good if you aren't ready and committed. Those things help, but they aren't the 'magic bullet' people need if they aren't committed to quitting.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:51 PM »
How long had you been taking Chantix before you quit?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Mini Man

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
A week or two.

Duke

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »
I posted this in the book section as well. Honestly this is great. This book helps you quit WITHOUT replacing your nicotine addiction with another medication that has nicotine IN IT! how much sense does that make??? Get this book it's cheap! Here's what I posted.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking is by far the best self-help book out there. You probably feel the same way I did before I started reading. How the hell can a book help me stop smoking. Well this book takes you through a bunch of steps that give you a 360 on the way that you view smoking, why you smoke, why you think you smoke and how easy it is to stop. ACTUALLY.

He doesn't rant on about how bad it is for you, how the effects of smoking will kill you, that it can cause cancer because as a smoker or even non-smoker you already know the effects of smoking. If the heath issues/scares actually worked we all would be smoke free, but the point is these labels and images don't help you quit, they stress you out and what do you do? SMOKE!

So for all you smoking dads out there who are thinking about stopping - whats stopping you - give it a try, really what do you have to lose. If you want to keep smoking after do it. (in the book he actually says while reading this book KEEP SMOKING)

Please let me know if anyone else has read this book or is on their way to their local book store.

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »
LOL ... having a heart attack will assist in quitting cold turkey ... trust me ...

My advice, read the book and follow it ... I wouldn't recommend the heart attack.
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

tigershark99

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 03:08:35 PM »
Just turned 39 yesterday and decided that it's time to kick the habit.  I had quit back in March and who would have thought I developed asthma.  Started back up again in June and now back up to almost a pack a day.  Lol of course the asthma is no better just think my body is used to being sick.  I plan on going cold turkey as I have tried the patches and have had the most vivid dreams along with not sleeping well so that is not an option. 

Drew

Offline Rob

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 13
    • Longitude 111
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Rob
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
I too want to stop smoking. I have only been smoking a little over a year but I really want to quit before it starts having negative effects on me. I've tried a couple times to quit but of course it was a failure. I found that its not even the nicotine that I'm addicted to. I have just created a habit, and I am addicted to "going through the motions" of smoking

I've noticed my heavy smoking times are:
• After Eating
• Every time I get in the car
• When I am bored
• When I am out drinking

I need to figure out how to kick the habit, especially since I am trying to get really big into the gym and health again... it would be foolish to continue this dangerous habit. not to mention its expensive and i hate smelling like smoke.
My Geocaching blog: http://www.longitude111.com

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
Although I am not a smoker, one way that I have seen work was to keep track of the money you will/are saving as you attempt to quit. A buddy of mine is keeping track of what he used to spend daily on cigarettes. after 17 days, he has saved well over $100  and he periodically updates facebook.  If there was a weekly checkin on here like we were doing for daddyplace fitness at one point, then guys could post there amounts and temptations, success and failures weekly.  Just a thought though

Sent from mytouch4g using tapatalk

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution