Author Topic: Afghanistan  (Read 1676 times)

Offline firedad

• Daddy
  • Liked: 4
  • Living the Dream...
    • Tom Price Weather Centre
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Chris
  • Xbox Gamertag: TP Fire 1
Afghanistan
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:44:12 AM »
just heard an ex British army commander saying we should buy the opium off the farmers in Afghanistan  to help the economy for at least five years then start to introduce other crops.

Pretty expensive but if done HONESTLY then we would prevent the drugs getting on our streets and help build a nation.

Thoughts?

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 11:21:34 AM »
I'm sure that's got to be a black op.  No way they can put that one on the books.   
The problem with this is that it does nothing to curb demand.  It will likely cause others to start growing to make up for the demand in the market and drive the prices higher. 
Standard microeconomics; supply and demand for a product with a high inelasticity of demand.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Re: Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 12:33:05 PM »
Not too bad an idea... but I agree with Frobozz, it could lead to a higher demand and increase the crops grown. I think it would be better to introduce a bonus program with subsidies for those farmers who grow wholesome crops, while doing things to make it more expensive for the opium to be grown. The problem lies with making the subsidies big enough to influence growing, yet small enough to be able to ween the farmers off after their crops start really producing.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution