Author Topic: The Garden  (Read 11277 times)

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
Re: The Garden
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
these are some hungry fuokers  :banghead:

the tomato hornworm, anyone ever have these before? I've been killing around five a day with one day of tomato worm genocide bagging 21 of these fat bastards. They make quick work of a tomato plant.
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »
Oh yeah, I had that before.  I think I even posted pics of one before.   I had one once eat an entire fruited cherry tomato plant that was about 6' tall.   I found him he was down to the last 3 tomatoes. Sucker was huge (see attached photos).  The only way to kill them off is to cut them in half.   I wound up keeping a close eye on the plants the rest of the season and pulled a few more off over the next few weeks. They are hard to spot early on since they aren't so large until they've done terrible damage and they are almost the exact color of the plant's stalk.  I think you need to find some wasps to take care of these suckers.  Certain wasps will lay eggs in the caterpillar and the larvae will eat it as they grow.

Good luck with these pests. I know it's irritating to keep them away.

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
Plan on saving your tomato crop via canning/jarring? What do you make, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa? I have a ton of tomatoes this year and I'm planning on doing all of the above with them. I thought I would share a tip with those of you doing the same, knowing that you need to remove the skins on your tomatoes and that you're going to cook the tomatoes I've found that in an effort to keep up with my plants production FREEZING the tomatoes after letting them fully ripen on the vine and then pulling them out when YOU are ready to start cooking them saves a lot of tomatoes that might otherwise end up in the compost pile. Also, when your tomatoes thaw out the skin just falls right off. :up:

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
Nice tip Chef. Thanks!

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 11:15:46 AM »
ok, for a small batch of tomato sauce you'll need a splash of olive oil, a few slices of bacon, one small onion, a few cloves of garlic, about a cup of red wine and some dried oregano, basil and thyme. Start out by blanching and shocking your tomatoes to remove the skin, quarter and remove the seeds. On a low flame render three slices of bacon chopped into little pieces with a small amount of olive oil. Once your bacon has let out almost all of its fat add your onion ( small dice 1/4"cubes ) and sweat on a low to medium flame until a small amount of browning is obtained *do not rush this sauce* Add mince garlic cloves and continue cooking for about five minutes, you do not want to brown the garlic ( burnt garlic is very bitter ) You might notice at this time that a little suc is sticking to the bottom of the pan, this is a good thing, deglaze with the wine and reduce until au sec ( almost all liquid is gone ). Add tomatoes rough chopped and cook on a low flame for at least an hour ( if you are using a thin pan you'll have to keep an eye on the sauce so it wont burn to the bottom) after one hour take small batches and run through a food mill or food processor OR if you like, just keep it chunky. The measurements and cooking times will vary depending on the quantity but at this point you should add, lets say for about 1 gallon of tom sc., one half teaspoon of dried oregano, one half teaspoon of dried basil and an eighth of a teaspoon of dried thyme. Now for the fun part, depending on the type of tomato you are using you might have to cook this sauce for an additional two hours even for a small batch to get the desired consistency, season to taste with salt and white pepper. Variations~ like it spicy? use red chili flakes during the dried herb stage. Sweet? add and dissolve a small amount of brown sugar after the  garlic is done. Vegetarian!? well, i guess you could omit the bacon and use more olive oil. No vino? no problem, to replace the acid and sugars from the wine you could make a Gastrique by using a teaspoon of sugar after the garlic is done and then using 4 oz. of a red wine or balsamic vinegar to deglaze and reduce. Like mushrooms? when your tom. sc. is done use it to "deglaze" a big pot of mushrooms sauteed with shallots in butter. The same process for "meat sc." brown some ground beef, add tom. sc. boom. Go nut's, have fun, happy cooking.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:57:31 PM by Chef Dad »

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
  :rollinglaugh: Yo Mitch, i let my tomatoes go at the end of the year and it payed off big, i attracted those parasitic wasps that kill these guys.  :up:

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »
Cool!  Now take a picture of the wasp larvae eating their way through his body.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
i did, looking for it now..

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »
Alright, it's that time of year again, what are you guys planning on planting this year? I'm growing the San Marzano and Pachino tomatoes i got from Italy again this year, brussel sprouts, dragon beans, butternut squash, lemon cucumber, orange watermelon, moon and stars watermelon, tigger melon, black Krim tomatoes, yellow strawberry, black sea tomato, pink corn, hopi flower corn, black corn, blood red corn, rainbow corn, purple corn, purple carrots and yellow carrots, i also plan on starting a potted olive tree and my purple Peruvian potato is already ready to go in to the 5 gallon bucket of sandy soil. OH, i almost forgot, new this year i will be growing the famed "ghost chili" check videos on you tube if you don't know what that is, i tried it this past fall and fell in love.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
zucchini, cucumber and a lemon cucumber

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
zucchini in progress, lemon cucumbers and purple long beans

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »
cantaloupe regular size ( softball ) and growing and the biggest damned cantaloupe i've ever seen, this thing will be the size of a basketball.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
tigger melons in progress, these guys will be about 1lb each when done and the colors will end up being bright red and yellow, i have one plant with eight fruit on the vine already.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
this is gonna be an orange fleshed watermelon, im done with pics for the day, much more to follow.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
 :up: you have a green one of these!  nice!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution