Author Topic: The Horus Heresy  (Read 1442 times)

outlikealight

The Horus Heresy
« on: March 25, 2009, 08:24:03 PM »
I'm back on a Science Fiction kick again. About a month ago I started reading a series of Science Fiction books based on the WarHammer boardgames. There are a gazillion of these books out there but one series has really caught my attention. The Horus Heresy. Basically the storyline is set way in the future. After thousands of years of warfare the Emperor of Mankind is winding down a crusade to conquer all of the known Universe. The main soldiers in this fight are legions of genetically enhanced super soldiers called Astartes. There are twenty legions and each is lead by a Primarch. The Primarchs are each like a god almost the perfect soldier in every way. The emperor has returned to Terra and has handed control over to one of the Primarchs, Horus. Horus is the most honored of all the Primarch's. Utterly devoted to the emperor and loved and respected by everyone. The first three books detail Horus' corruption and fall from grace which results in the start of a civil war. Primarch against Primarch. Legion against Legion. Loyalty, deception, betrayal, brutality, epic battles raging on planets and in space. I could go on and on.

A couple of cool things. The writing and storyline is just great. Each book has been by a different author. With some authors having done more than one. The first three books detail the beginning and deal mainly with Horus and his legion. Following books have dealt with other characters and the storylines occur at the same time so they all intersect and you can see how each group gets involved in the spreading Civil War.  As a whole all of the books are well written and have been a great read. The plot sucks you in and the twists and turns are fantastic. I really read so much stuff that when I find a series like this I feel like I struck gold. With different writers taking part you also don't have to wait years for the next installment (AKA George RR Martin and The Song of Fire and Ice series). Two to three books come out a year.

I became interested in the series because Dan Abnett wrote the first book and I love his stuff. I was looking on Amazon and came across these books. Literally hundreds of people have left rave reviews so I bought the first three and was hooked.

The Books

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
The Flight of the Eisenstien
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels
Legion
Battle for the Abyss
Mechanicum

If you want to get a good Sci Fi fix give the first three books a spin.

BagABones

Re: The Horus Heresy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
I've read all but the Mechanicum book. The entire series is well written. Good call.

outlikealight

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »
I've read all but the Mechanicum book. The entire series is well written. Good call.

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying them. Mechanicum was very good. Lots of MechWarrior type battles with the Titans. There is another book out now that is a collection of short stories. It's called Tales of Heresy.

BagABones

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »
I'm reading that one now. Half-way through the second story.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
So would this be a good place to start to learn the Warhammer universe?  I started playing Dawn of War 2 and while I really enjoy the game, I don't know much about the universe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:53:56 PM by Adrian's Dad »

BagABones

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »
Yup. Dawn Of War (I & II) take place millenia after the Horus Heresy but the Heresy series is still a damn good place to start.

If you like some light comedy with your Sci-Fi I recommend any of the Commisar Cain series by Sandy Mitchell.

I've actually got a few of the miniatures painted (Couple of Necrons, Night Lords and Deth Korps) but I just don't have the time anymore to keep up with it.

Felix

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
I've read all the Horus Heresy books up to the Tales of the Heresy.  As for Adrian's dad, to learn more about the Warhammer 40k universe, hate to say it but sometimes the rulebooks for the actual tabletop wargame have the most complete introductions.  Books like the Horus Heresy, Space Wolf, and Gaunt's Ghosts novels (my personal fave) are simply too specialized in their storylines and don't really offer a broad intro into that universe.

-Felix

outlikealight

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
I've read all the Horus Heresy books up to the Tales of the Heresy.  As for Adrian's dad, to learn more about the Warhammer 40k universe, hate to say it but sometimes the rulebooks for the actual tabletop wargame have the most complete introductions.  Books like the Horus Heresy, Space Wolf, and Gaunt's Ghosts novels (my personal fave) are simply too specialized in their storylines and don't really offer a broad intro into that universe.

-Felix

There is a new one out.  It's called A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeil. I'm only alittle bit into it but it's good so far.

Felix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »
I think I own that one just haven't read it yet....perhaps, it's been a while since I've read anything out of the HH series.

-Felix

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution