Author Topic: Blueray Player Suggestions  (Read 3468 times)

Offline pinhead1376

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Blueray Player Suggestions
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »
I need some help.  I am looking into getting a blueray player and would love to get some suggestions.

Thanks.
I am serious and don't call me surely.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
Re: Blueray Player Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
A PS3.  It's still one of the cheapest players out there, plus you get all the extras like gaming capability.  Plus, it autmatically and easily updates the BD firmware without much hassle.

jer_ran

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
I agree - a PS3 is a great BD player - one thing that mine has issues with is the BD-Live part - if I allow the player to access BD-Live stuff it takes FOREVER to start the BD, sometimes crashing in the process.  So I jsut tell it no, as I'm just looking to play the movie anyways.

On another note, I recently built a HTPC with a BD player in it and I'm burning my dvd's/BD's to my HDD and using a free add-on to Windows Media Center called "Media Browser" to create a library that is easily accessible.

Jer

Offline pinhead1376

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
I heard the PS3 is the best, but I'm having a hard time convincing my wife.  She believes I want it for the games.  Probably true, but I won't admit it.
I am serious and don't call me surely.

Offline TrickshoT GDLD

• My wife is holding my sausage hostage.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • You gonna stand there and bleed?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »
PS3 is the best, its what I use for a Blu Ray player. And also the updates are great, with the standard Blu Ray  player it a bit of a pain in the ass to update to get the new features available on the disc itself. I would go with the smaller PS3 IMO.

cc0724

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
For a stand alone.. I use the Panasonic BD-55 and love it. It is HDMI 1.3 compliant BD Live. The upconversion of SD discs is very good. Load times are much faster than most tested. It has an HD Audio decoder, if you are using an older reciever.. or you can bitstream out. The 35 is about the same as a new PS3, as I also debated over this.. but, I spend enough money on Xbox games.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
but, I spend enough money on Xbox games.

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence.  MY wife says it all the time but I still don't know what it means.  :laugh2:

Offline Garand

• You can find me in the phone book, under "Professional Ninja"
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Husband, Father, Gamer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:49:47 AM »
I'd recommend the PS3 also just for its ease of updating.  Also, if it matters, its the reference blu-ray player used by the Criterion Collection..

Generalfrag

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
I have also heard that the playstation 3 is still the best player out there since it pretty much does everything you would need and has some of the best menu features out there.  If you really want to get a standalone, I have recently picked up the LG BD370 player.  It has decent load times, lets you stream netflix movies and the menu system is fairly intuitive.  It upscales my DVDs excellently as well.  It retails for anywhere around $219 - $299 depending on the retailer.

Offline vegaskiller73

• Too good to be caught around Damian and Joey
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
I bought a Samsung BD-P1500 for $249 last fall and it works great. Easily upgraddable via ethernet cable. Plays just about anything.
Samsung has a new version out, the BD-P1600. It retails for $249 @ BB.

It all depends on what you want. Do you want another game console that can play BD, then try to get a PS3. If you want a dedicated BD player, you should be able to get a really decent one for $250-$300, depending on brand and features.

Offline joey791

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:21:28 PM »
I have the Sony S350

I believe the new Sony S360 has wireless internet but I could be wrong.

Panasonic makes some of the best though hands down, the BD-60 is awesome.

Also do you have a HDMI receiver?

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
So I know this post is old, but I was wondering if you picked up a BD player yet? 

If you haven't amazon.com has some great deals not only on players, but HDMI cables and what not.

I just picked up the LG BD370 that streams netflix for about 150 or so.  Also a 10 ft HDMI cable for 10 bucks and a digital coax (would have done optical but my xbox is taking that one up already) for about 5 bucks. 

Great deals to say the least.  You save way more than you would if you went to BB or some place like that.  Maybe if you were able to skip the PS3 idea and go for a stand alone player, you could convince your wife.  I got lucky cause its my birthday.

I wanted the PS3 as well, but even then, I would still only buy xbox games, so I figured I'd save us some money.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »
Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I'm in the market for a new BD player.  How have the LG BD370's been treating you guys (if you did end up getting one)?  I'm looking at the LG BD570.  I'm just looking for the best non-Sony player that's under $200.  The 570 is around $170 on Amazon right now.

Sony and the PS3 have been absolutely terrible since the 3D update in June and since I don't play games on it anymore, I'm looking for a standalone that streams Netflix since I probably won't be renewing my Xbox Gold account come May. 

I want:
TrueHD audio
Decent load times
Netflix (although not a big priority)

I don't care about 3D or many of the other online streaming services.

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »
I love my Panasonic

The link is actually the one that replaced mine.

I needed the 5.1 analog audio out option since my receiver isn't HDMI capable. The BD45 Doesn't have that option so it's a bit cheaper.

I don't have any experience with LG products, but I'm sure they're great. I've had a few Panasonic disc players (DVD/BR) over the last 15 years and they've always been rock-solid when it comes to performance and reliability.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 01:09:22 PM »
The 85K was one I was looking at it.  How are the loading times?  I was looking at the 65K as well which was a bit cheaper but it didn't have the Wifi, which isn't a big deal since it will be right next to my router.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution