Author Topic: Anemia  (Read 2166 times)

iamdaddy

Anemia
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »
Got some labs back a couple of weeks ago. My red blood cell count was low. Doctor ordered more tests. Came back that I am really anemic. They think that I have internal bleeding somewhere. There is no blood in stool or urine. Meet with a surgeon tomorrow to discuss and to set up a colonscopy and a upper GI tract test (where I have to drink radium)

Has anyone ever had this issue before or this procedure. This anemia is making me reall exhausted and causing my blood sugars to go a little nuts. I am worried, but should be as of yet. I am assuming it might be an ulcer or something?

Any words of wisdom or advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Anemia
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
Well acute anemia is a rapid onset thing, usually stemming from internal bleeding, stomach ulcer, menstruation (I guess we can rule this one out).   Gradual anemia is from other health and disease related issues.  When were your previous blood labs and do you know what your iron levels were then?

Barring proof showing that this is slow onset, a colonoscopy is the best route to go.   If the docs thought you were in immediate peril, the wouldn't be waiting a day or so for a consult prior to exploring your innards. So don't freak out just yet and do keep us up to date with your situation.

iamdaddy

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:37:55 PM »
At the beginning of April I was okay. Third week of June is when I had new tests done (diabetes related). I went and had the other tests done a week and a half ago. So, it was a sudden type of thing it appears. I have just started feeling run down about three weeks.

Yep, they must not be overly concerned or they would have had me in there right away. My wife told me that. So, that does make me feel better. I used to be pretty healthy until diagnose type 1 diabetic in January of 2005. Having things wrong with me other than that I am not not used to.

Also, the doctor said they are pretty sure there is bleeding inside and they are not looking at anything else. I guess I just needed more reassurance.

Thanks Fro!

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »
Always trust your doctor's reactions moreso than his words.  He's acting concerned but not panicked so I would say you've caught it early.  All you can do now is sit back and wait, eat plenty of spinach, red meat and supplement with iron if you must.  Remember to keep your diet fairly evened out though, if they're worried about intestinal bleeding the last thing you want to do is bind yourself up....

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:38:03 PM »
Don't take any iron supplements until after your colonoscopy.  Iron supplements can possibly alter the color of the lining of your colon.

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:58:51 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks fro.

iamdaddy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
Thanks guys! I will keep you posted.

iamdaddy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »
Found out I had a bleeding ulcer. I was worried about nothing and pretty much figured I was. On Prilosec now forever. had two weeks of anti-B's and two prilosecs and 8 pepto tabs a day for two weeks. I also have some gall stones sticking to the outside of my gall bladder. They are going to leave that alone until I get symptoms (If I do). And I have a hiatal hernia (which I figured). Been a month now and feeling pretty good. Getting that energy back so I can start going to the gym again. I have really missed it.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:12 AM »
It's good to hear that you're recovering and gaining your strength back.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 08:28:59 AM »
Yes, good to hear that getting better.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »
Glad you are feeling better!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:13 AM »
Sounds like some tough times, but I'm glad your feeling better now.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »
Good to hear that you are doing better.   Hope it continues, that sounds like a lot of meds to take though.   :laugh2:

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution