Author Topic: Work nights, go back to school, or both?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
Work nights, go back to school, or both?
« on: August 20, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »
I've been debating this for a long time now.  Being a SAHD is great and I love spending time with my boy, especially now that he is crawling everywhere and climbing up on everything.  He is a blast to hang out with. 
My wife works M-F and makes great money.   Just enough to keep us financially stable.  However, at some point I will have to go back to work and that is fine.  The degree I have currently isn't exactly my dream degree so I have been debating going back to school either at nights or online.  However, I have also been debating on getting a part time job at night for a little extra spending money for going out and the little one. 
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat at one point or another.  I really want to be able to contribute, even though I am doing more than I could ever imagine by raising our child. 
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Danny22

Re: Work nights, go back to school, or both?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:22:45 AM »
if your able to afford it go back to school for the degree you want there is always net school so you can stay being a sahd until you think its time to go back to work and then get a job you love

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »
When I was bouncing on the weekends 7pm-5am it caused some issues, I wanted 2 sleep in and my gf wasn't so happy with that. I have insomnia so when I can sleep I like to sleep
   Also She said she never felt that she had much time 4 herself not that she wanted to go out n such but time 2 do outdoor stuff around the house w/o the  baby "helping" her. It took time away from "us" time as well just being able 2 hang out since 1 of us always seemed 2 be at work or going to sleep to get ready for the next days work.
     Another thought whats the longest time you've been away from your son? I hated being away from my kids and any little thing got over blown in my head cuz I would think why am I hear dealing with drunks instead of seeing my kids

I would try 1 or the other not both. School would be my thought for you  as long as money is ok at home. I understand wanting extra spending $ 2 do special with him but he has his daddy 24/7 and I'm sure hes content with that

You just want money to buy some camping supplies  :LMAO:
all jokes side I hope my ramble helps out in some way 

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:43:53 PM »
Thanks for the input man. 

I've been looking into HR programs, whether it is a certificate or another degree.  I do have a business degree but most companies want you to spend time with them before they give you the big bucks as a manager which I am more than qualified to be.  Too bad they don't care. 

I don't think going back to work is going to happen.  If anything, it would be at like Best Buy working in the warehouse or something.  I never want to sell again after being in the warehouse with Circuit.  It was fun and I didn't have to deal with customers. 

Offline JacksDaddy

• Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
Oh and I actually got rid of all my camping supplies this morning when I got the Danger Close challenge all wrapped up.  I wouldn't say I camp anymore.  I don't even noob tube anymore.  I am a little cautious still.  I don't run out and shoot at everything I see, but I still play it a bit safe and manage the game, but I don't camp anymore.  So THERE!!!   :LMAO:

Mini Man

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »
Ryan,

I'm going through it right now, so I definitely can understand where you're coming from. I worked two full-time jobs for over six years straight, six days a week. I was at the point I couldn't get out of bed in the morning and just was hating life and it really was effecting my relationship with the wife and kids. When my youngest got to kindergarten age, it just didn't make sense for me to work so much as any extra monies earned were going to daycare expenses.

I did the 'husband' thing and asked the wife if she wanted to say home, but she said "You've been working two jobs forever. You quit one." I thought about it and the only way it was going to work was for me to quit my day job, which incidentally was the job I hated. I was in shock, trying to figure out what I was going to do with myself during the days while the boys are in school. I decided to go back to school myself, and I'm pursuing an MA in English.

It's still difficult at times because I work evenings and weekends 6-12 M,W,R,F 2-12 S and 12-6 U, but it is great because I get the boys off to school each and every morning, pick them up in the afternoons, and get to spend each school break with them. My current semester ends in a week and I can't wait for the boys to be off for Christmas break.

I say do it if you can. It's obviously a little different for me because my sons are older and in school during the day, but there is always a way to make it work if you want it bad enough. Talk to your wife and see what her thoughts on the situation is.

Offline Leukoi

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:33:37 AM »

I don't think going back to work is going to happen.  If anything, it would be at like Best Buy working in the warehouse or something.  I never want to sell again after being in the warehouse with Circuit.  It was fun and I didn't have to deal with customers. 

Don't build a resume doing something you aren't interested in.  When you do decide to hit the job market head on and land a full-time job doing what you want, and they look at you and ask you what you've been doing to prepare for the job you're applying for, telling them you were just doing some crappy job for extra money isn't going to cut it.  If you don't want to start at the bottom, then give them a reason to put you in a higher position.  You can't learn experience in text book. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:35:44 AM by Leukoi »

Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:08:06 AM »
I've just started retraining for a new career after deciding whether or not to go back to my old job which was a store deputy manager. I also wondered if I'd have the time to work part time as well and both myself and my wife decided it would be too much looking after the twins, training and working at night. We've had to make a few sacrifices when it comes to luxuries ;) but we're managing and all going well I'll be in full time work by next summer.

BluRhino

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:46:30 AM »
I am a licensed electrician and have been out of work pretty much all year. I have been loving the SAHD thing .Getting a job in this market is pretty hard with trying to afford daycare. So I thought about what would be best for the family and am now back to school. I am studying something I think I would "grow up" and enjoy. If you think about what you really want in the future for your family you can take the time and make it work.

Good Luck with what you decide to do

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution