Author Topic: Hypertension  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Hypertension
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:59:41 AM »
I went to the doc today to have him look at my shoulder (I strained it pretty bad a few weeks ago and it still is aching). While there I checked in as usual through the nurse with BP, weight, you know the drill. Well for the last year I have been borderline hypertensive and this time my BP was 150/100!  :whoa:

All of this this after losing 35 pounds and eating way healthier for the last three months. The doc decided to start me on meds (Lisinopril) to lower it. The meds he has me on are pretty nice (he said) with few if any side effects. The biggest one being a cough for 1 in 20. He told me that I may lose enough weight and get off of them, which is a good thing, but that I may have to be on them from now on. This is not a huge surprise. Both my mom and dad were hypertensive, as were three out of four of my grandparents. It was not so much a matter of if as a matter of when.   8-|

I still have hope of lowering it enough with diet and exercise and am going to continue on that path regardless. Like I said I have lost 35 pounds so far. My big downfall is exercise. It is getting better, I am walking more and more, but there is still room for improvement. I am going to start checking in here with you all and the get fit again. I think this will help keep me on track as well as give me good friends to share and be comrades with in a journey to better health.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Hypertension
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 07:25:54 AM »
Good luck John.  Also remember to cut down on your sodium intake.  That should help as well.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
Good luck John.  Also remember to cut down on your sodium intake.  That should help as well.

Thanks Mitch.

Already been doing that my friend. I'm not a huge salt fiend anyway. I like the salt free spices like Mrs. Dash, especially because there is such a variety now. I started cutting down on sodium a long time ago because I saw what it was doing to my family. I figured I better learn how to get along without it if there is a propensity in my family for high BP. I was also using potassium as an alternate, but now after reading the literature about Lisinopril I found out that it can raise potassium levels and it is not recommended to use potassium supplements or salt substitute without consulting a doc or pharmacist. I'll talk to one of them before I start using potassium as a substitute. It will take me awhile to get used to it. Hopefully I wont have to be on it for too long. If I do have to be then not a super huge deal, just some adjustments.

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
A) The Cough is the side effect of many blood pressure medications (i'm on one as well) ... and, it's INCREDIBLY annoying when it occurs while your 3/4's asleep.

B) Mine prior to the heart attack was around the same range as yours ... and, now - with medication, diet, exercise, mine is around 109/69 every second of the day :)

It'll be fine, trust me.  There are worse things that could happen :)
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

Offline rob_ferg

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:42:58 PM »
hey john,
i left you a message on your facebook status, but i will leave you one here also..

it is probably a good thing that you went to the doctor for your shoulder for them to find it.  I went to the doctor because i thought i had frostbite after trying to push my car out of my driveway one winter morning a couple years ago.   he wrote me a prescription for blood pressure meds....i never filled it always thinking in the back of my mind that i would get around to changing my diet and exercise someday...

fast forward to earlier this year..i had a good stretch going where I had a headache more days than not, and not just a dull headache, but headaches that would make me nautious.....usually I didn't go more than 1 day without a headache. so with some pressuring from my wife i went to the doctor.  the nurse took my blood pressure and the nurses eyes got wide and her jaw dropped...it was in the 160/110 range.....   they hooked me to an EKG and the doctor told me that it looked like i was already starting to get some damage to one of my ventricles because of all the pressure.   so for the following month they monitored my blood pressure meds...first they started me off on 25 mg of atenolol...then upped it to 50, and now I am on the 100mg...they said that if the 100 didn't take care of it then they would have to give me additional meds.

well after being on the 100mg dosage, my blood pressure was still hovering around the 130-140/90 range.  i have talked in the DOODs board about that fitness class that i have been in and since i have incorporated my running on the off days when i am not in the class, my blood pressure has been around the 120/70 range. 

If i remember correctly, a while back normal used to be 120/80...i don't know if that is still considered "normal". 

Now i just have to tackle my diet which is my biggest downfall...i have started getting in the habit of daily exercise, but the diet has been my biggest hurdle....and is a struggle for me daily...although i do not go out to eat as much as i did when i was working (for obvious financial reasons and because also at my old job i would go out to eat with the guys from the office or by myself if i wanted to get out of the office and nobody wanted to go out to eat about 3 times a week--and a lot of times that was at a buffet).

at any rate, it sounds like you got a good start with already being down 35 pounds..here is to continued success to you and everybody else on the DOODS board!

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »
*likes* Rob's post.
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:38:09 PM »
Thanks for the support guys. I see I am not the only one here with BP issues. LOL I knew I wasn't but it is cool to get it out in the open and talk about it.

I Knew my pressure was getting high, but it was only an every other time I checked thing and I convinced myself that it was because I was fat and all I had to do was lose weight and problem solved, right? I can do that at any time and snap my weight problem and BP would be fixed overnight, and since it would be so easy I don't have to start today. Oh denial! I think the number one true cause of male deaths is not from some medical condition, but from the denial of that condition, especially since now a days most can be treated.  :shrug:

So I at least have two things going for me. I'm losing weight and eating healthier, and I am getting my BP treated. Hopefully one day I can drop the BP treatment. I will never be able to drop the healthy diet.

joseph1986

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »
i'm 23 and was on atenelol for four months, I had to stop due to way way to much stress in my life causing headaches, what with a 11 week pregnant wife vomiting constantly, being out of work for months, and a two year old and all.  But maybe you might not have as much issues with it.  There are very few side effects, and the good news is it is safe to take most over the counter meds with it, with doctors approval of course.  But try that.  Also, lay off of soda and energy drinks if you drink them, and try meditation breathing, they offer free guidelines on how to meditate all over the internet.  And if that doesn't work, try buing an el-cheapo 10 minute cardio dvd and do it one to three times a day depending on what you can handle.  By increasing your cardio, you can lower your resting heart rate and you can also figure out your target heart range so you can't overdo it with most activities.  Good luck.  I have been off blood pressure meds for two months, and the difference is my breathing, and I totally understand the excercise thing.  Just do it when you can, it's tough, life happens, but I noticed walking really is the best method to losing weight from what others are saying.  Plus atenelol is cheap, I'm in washington, and only payed $8 for 30 pills.  So good luck to you.  I am in the same boat as you, except I slipped off the wagon on the eating thing.  It is hard.  But I only slipped because I have been the only one taking care of everything.  Our daughter, phone calls here and there, and the ones I usually do like the bills, and the cooking and the cleaning.  It's overwhelming.  So good luck to you.  - joseph -  :)* ~o) :excited: B) :up: :plus1: :cham:

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »
i have no experience with this... good luck with this... it will get better.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution