Author Topic: Books on videogames  (Read 1077 times)

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
Books on videogames
« on: September 17, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »
With so many games out there having books about them like Halo, Star Wars, Gears of War, World of Warcraft and of course comic books on MArvel, DC and others.. How much knowledge am I missing out on? Are there tie ins in the games to these books? Is there anything (besides a good story about a genre you like) to be had from reading these books? Is there backstories that help explain parts of the games or are they seperate entities? Just wondering.

Anyone here reading or have read Videogame books such as the Halo series, or Gears of War or whatever? Opinions, reviews?

Offline BigCöx

• Well, I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • Sloan's Daddy - 12/17/07
    • BC on FB
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Matt
  • Xbox Gamertag: c0dek
Re: Books on videogames
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »
I have all the Halo books and have really enjoyed them - of the first 3, 1 of the books is a prequel to Halo, one is the novelization of the first game, and one occurs between Halo and Halo 2. The other books establish some backstory details about Sgt. Johnson, about humanity's first contact with the Covenant, introduce Spartan-IIIs and wrap up some storylines from the games and other novels. To be honest, the books are the biggest reason I'm a fan of the franchise. The books are written in close cooperation w/Bungie, at least one was written by a Bungie employee, so they are considered canon

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »
cool, thanks, Big

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
The first Mass Effect novel, Revelation (I think it was), was very good.  It gave the backstory of Captain Anderson and more importantly you see Saren before, or rather as, he goes rogue.  I read the 2nd novel and there were two branching storylines at the end.  Kinda like Empire Strikes Back, how at the end you still had Luke and Leia together, and Chewbacca and Lando rushing off to save Han.  So how it ties in remains to be seen, but check out the first if you did play and love ME.
And the Halo novels are good as well like Big said.  Other novels, even GOW, just haven't tied in as much to the universe as Halo and Mass Effect novels.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution