Author Topic: Not cool SAHDs  (Read 2959 times)

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Not cool SAHDs
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:13:25 AM »
This is an article from KOMO news 8 in Missouri from earlier this year......

COLUMBIA - Some women say being a stay-at-home mom is rewarding, but soon the state might reward them for taking care of their kids.

A bill moving through the House would give stay-at-home moms $600 per year, every year they care for children under the age of 16 at home,  hoping to invest in getting them back into the workforce once those children are grown.

But some say that's leaving out a growing number of dads who say they make just as good caretakers for their children.

Some mid-Missouri moms say the idea of a stay-at-home scholarship sounds great.

"I'm excited about it," said stay-at-home mom Angie Oreskovich. "Being a stay-at-home mom, I would appreciate the extra $600."

The money would allow them to bounce back to school or a career once the kids are grown.

"This would go to women who have sacrificed their careers for their children," said Rep. Cynthia Davis, R-O'Fallon.

The bill comes in response to a federal law which gives a tax credit to parents seeking daycare.

Davis says why not give that same money to mothers who care for their own kids.

"It's not a wise use of state resources," said Rep. Mary Still, D-Columbia. "We need to move women into the workforce, not out of it. When times are tough, most families need to rely on two paychecks."

However, there are also stay-at-home dads.

"It [taking care of my child] means everything to me. I couldn't do anything else other than take care of him," said stay-at-home dad John Higgins.

The bill is specific in paying mothers and not fathers.

Rep. Davis says, "Mothers are natural nurturers. Fathers are not. It goes back to the hunter and gatherers type".

"Men can also be nurturing," said stay-at-home dad David Beech.

Rep. Still says to make ends meet these days, two paychecks are better than one. She instead supports flexible work policies for mothers.

Rep. Davis says being there to raise their children is more important.

"I think it needs to be rewritten. There are lots of guys out there who are stay-at-home dads. We can change diapers," said Higgins.

The bill is currently being considered by the House. If lawmakers pass the bill, the money wouldn't be need-based and therefore would be available to any moms staying home with their children.

I think this is WAY messed up!!!!!!

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline Pat

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 12
  • Hockey's back :)
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Pat
  • Xbox Gamertag: ragingpdm
Re: Not cool SAHDs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »
......and the "male" population gets screwed in yet another way.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »
Should be "parent".  Just as women's lib occurred and argued that a woman can do everything a man can do in the workforce, this seems to be one step backward.  A dad can't be as nurturing as a mother.  I dare that politician fag to say that to my face.

BluRhino

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
Should be "parent".  Just as women's lib occurred and argued that a woman can do everything a man can do in the workforce, this seems to be one step backward.  A dad can't be as nurturing as a mother.  I dare that politician fag to say that to my face.

I agree. This shows my theory on the biggest problems our legislation creates. Instead of writing a law or bill in generic terms they always seem to target a specific group. Now different people that are doing the same things get left out. Hopefully this gets sorted out correctly.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:01:43 PM by BluRhino »

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
Yeah, that is pretty messed up. 

Like Aftr said, its basically a step back.  If women fought for rights to be equals, shouldn't that be taken into consideration in all areas.  Shouldn't men be considered equal to women in certain aspects too?  Just because women traditionally stayed home with the children, doesn't mean that that is the case in a modern world.  Our society evolves very rapidly.  Men now stay home with the kids more often. 

To me this not only brings up the issue of SAHM vs. SAHD but other issues that bother me, which are inappropriate for this thread.  Maybe I'll go post that somewhere else  :biggrin:

Spectre

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
F'n stupid, our great government at work. I should be equal rights to ALL.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »
so instead of uniting everyone, they are now segragating the stay at home parents... what a crop of sh*t   our fine ELECTED people at work!

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:58:43 PM »
I love that my wife could stay at home and she would hear "You're a stay at home mom!!  Wow I couldn't do that" and I hear "Oh, you're not working right now?" 

Notice how there are no men-only clubs but there are women only gyms and clubs?  We've actually gone the opposite of equal rights for all.  It's now "all rights" for women.  IE women ask and the men know this'll turn into a gender issue if we say no so "all right".

Spectre

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I love that my wife could stay at home and she would hear "You're a stay at home mom!!  Wow I couldn't do that" and I hear "Oh, you're not working right now?" 
:LMAO: I've heard that quite a few times. I just laughed. People just have no idea unless they have done it themselves.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »
I mostly hear "spending his day off with his boy"

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us