Author Topic: Activity ideas to keep a 1 year old engaged...  (Read 3323 times)

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
Activity ideas to keep a 1 year old engaged...
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
So Jackson is going on 1 next Thursday and though he enjoys toys and what not, he generally likes to flip through books which is hilaarious to watch him looking at one and then start laughing.  I just wonder what is going on in his mind.  Anyway, we want to get some activities that will help him learn stuff like cause and effect, colors and shapes (we have cards but all he is interested in is bending and eating them).  We're just looking for ideas.  We have a hard time keeping him still because he loves walking and running around so much that he hates sitting in one place (which is going to make our flight to AZ next week amazing)

Anyway, we'll be back on the 4th and I'll be looking to get him more engaged and envolved with learning and interacting.  Hope you guys might have some ideas for us.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
Re: Activity ideas to keep a 1 year old engaged...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
as far as colors we would just walk around with Quinn when she was moving around the house and point colors out.  As we pointed them out, we would have her repeat them.  Start with letters and numbers one at a time.  However we moved to letters and numbers once she was older than 2.  At one we worked on colors and shapes, shapes the same way as colors.  I hope this helps somewhat.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »
Its an idea and its what I am looking for.  Never hurts to give an idea.  Thanks!

BluRhino

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:05:22 PM »
My son had one of these and he loved it.

http://www.target.com/dp/B002B555QQ/ref=sc_qi_emwa

Offline JacksDaddy

• Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »
That looks awesome!  Since his birthday and Christmas are around the corner, I'm totally getting one and we'll learn the colors of the balls too lol!  Thanks

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »
Both my Kids loved little ball pits the inflatable kind. You can get cheap 1s for $20(it lasted 2 months) or more sturdy for $100(it lasted longer than the balls did). When i was and am teaching my kids colors I tried to use the same objects that had diffrent colors ex: crayons, balls etc. because I didn't want the kids to be confused with diffrent names for colors and diffrent objects as well( I hope that made sents???) hope this helps!!! my favorite activity is wrestling with the kids my oldest is now 9 and is 4' 11'' and weighs 90lbs and shes pretty solid and the 2yo is big for her age solid and kind of freakishly strong they try and team up against me but when your dad is 6' 8'' and weighs 300lbs  and knows a bit of BJJ good luck. hope this helps kids love to wrestle it doesn't teach them much of anything but you both will have some fun

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline JacksDaddy

• Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:49:03 PM »
Yeah, I throw Jackson around all the time.  I'm sure when he grows up he won't have any trouble throwing me around as I'm about 6'0" and a solid 170 haha...  I'll take him out in MW2 anytime though. 

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
Yeah, I throw Jackson around all the time.  I'm sure when he grows up he won't have any trouble throwing me around as I'm about 6'0" and a solid 170 haha...  I'll take him out in MW2 anytime though. 

he mite get the camping gene though. your father son  camping trips wont be like anybody elses :LMAO:

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline JacksDaddy

• Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »
Its bonding time.  I don't want to call it camping anymore.  in fact, I'm gonna call it hunting from now on.   :biggrin:

Cause I just wait for my prey to come and then I shoot them down. :RV: :sub:

I don't know what those images really represent, but they kinds fit the situation. 

Offline bradt32225

• Ask me about my hairy nipples
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »
I say try the leapfrog system it helped my kids when they were younger

bradt32225" border="0

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution