Author Topic: Let The Right One In  (Read 1353 times)

Bee

Let The Right One In
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »
Unsure whether to put this in movies or books but I'll try books since I've nearly finished reading it at the moment.

I saw the film Let The Right One In when it first came out earlier in the year and it quickly became one of my all-time favourites, it is based on a book of the same name. It is a Swedish horror film about a 12 year old vampire called Eli who develops a very interesting relationship with a victimised boy called Oskar. I must stress this is not your typical vampire film and the only similarities Eli shares with 'standard' vampires is the fact she needs blood to survive. Eli is actually 200 years old and the film does hint at something which I picked up on and the book goes into more detail about, however I can't say what it is without spoiling one of the films surprises.

The book is by John Ajvide Lindqvist and for once I'm pleased I saw the film before reading the book. It is very well written with very little waffle or lengthy descriptions which plague some books. In fact at times the writing can be a bit too abrupt and almost written like a list: 'He did this, he went there, he thought this' etc.

What I liked about the film is the way it made you keep guessing about all the characters motivations. Is Eli manipulating Oskar or are her motives genuine? The old man 'Hakan' who lives with Eli and brings her blood; is he a relative, lover or bodyguard? I do wonder if one of the keypoints of the story is leading up to the fact whether Oskar is prepared to kill for Eli. Oskar is bullied and victimised on a daily basis at school and at night he acts out murder fantasies of stabbing his tormentors to death. Has Eli noticed this and seen traits she needs in someone to become her new 'partner'.

The book goes into much more detail about the characters such as Hakan and what kind of a person he is. It makes no bones about Eli and her 'secret' which was only hinted at in the film. It has been one of the few books I've been unable to put down and if I only recommend one film/book this year it would be Let The Right One In.

The only bad news about the film is that a US remake is already due for release in 2010. Unnecessary movie remakes is something I'm saving for the movie forum ;).

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
Re: Let The Right One In
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
I've seen it many, many times.  It's on my top 10 list of greatest movie endings ever.

Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »
I thought the swimming pool scene was very good as well, just leaves it to your imagination what happened. Have you read the book?

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:54:02 PM »
No I haven't yet.  I'll have to put it on my Kindle if it is available.

Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »
Just had to google 'Kindle' because I've never heard of one before. A portable device for downloading and storing thousands of books, what fandangled new technology will they come up with next  :no_teeth:.

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
sounds like a cool story.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us