Author Topic: Suggestion to move "reviews section"  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Suggestion to move "reviews section"
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »
Hey all,

We have a "review" tab at the top of our website for us to all submit reviews.  It is further broken down for reviews of games, movie, electronics, etc.  I want to see how everyone feels about moving this to be sub-boards of their respective thread.  I feel that when someone comes to look for advice or something about anything, they check the forums.  This is where most of our activity is generated and where we submit our views, opinions, and advice, so this is generally where we all go for answers.  I feel that we can easily see the reviews when they are right there by the thread that corresponds to it.   It would also be nice to see a tab for add your own review.  This way we can get multiple reviews of the same product all found in the same thread, and not extended comments or multiple threads of the same product.  So maybe I want to see a review of this new Cannon camera and there is a review by Frobozz and Keith, but I know from in the past that my taste is more in tune w/ Keith, I might be more partial to his review.  No offense Mitch, just an example.  :)

On another note, I feel that there should be restricted access to the reviews sections.  I know this might not go well over with everyone and I'm not trying to limit who can write a review, and so far this has not happened, but I just don't want to see sub-par after sub-par review being thrown up there.  We have moderators of boards and you really don't have too do much.  Oversee, monitor, rarely do things get out of hand, but sometimes we do.  Anyway, I think that reviews should be submitted for approval to the moderator.  If that moderator is writing one, submit it to a global moderator.  Just some way for checks and balances.  Are you stating your opinion more than fact?  Did you truly test the product in every aspect that would be questioned and are your results clearly defined?  And I obviously know that with games I would like to see two things.  A score system implemented, most likely on a 10 point scale (which is already in place in the review tab), and the beginning should have a summary paragraph.  Something that when someone is in a rush, they can quickly see an overall score and a brief summary paragraph.  And if they want the full details, they can read the full review.

So should the reviews be moved to a sub-board of there respected thread and should there be a submittal system implemented to avoid rushed and improper reviews?

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
Re: Suggestion to move "reviews section"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
to me, it would make sense to move it.  Might be a little easier to find.

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:02:26 AM »
that took awhile 2 read After  :bootyshake:. moving them to the forums works for me, I've set up a topic in the consol gaming section for game reviews, it should be broken down into 360, PS3 and Wii, scoring system i also agree with. As a Mod having us check the reviews is also an idea, my only concern would be that people mite be put off by that idea unless a group of the senior DP makes a outline of what must be included

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:47:33 AM »
that took awhile 2 read After  :bootyshake:. moving them to the forums works for me, I've set up a topic in the consol gaming section for game reviews, it should be broken down into 360, PS3 and Wii, scoring system i also agree with. As a Mod having us check the reviews is also an idea, my only concern would be that people mite be put off by that idea unless a group of the senior DP makes a outline of what must be included

I'm long-winded.
The section for game reviews that you did is what got me thinking about it.  It's great initiative and I'm not trying to discourage that, but I foresee that as we get more reviews, this will just be one loooonngg thread of game reviews, not organized at all and how will someone find, say that "Borderlands" review.  They will have to scroll through page after page until they come to it.  But I think more ppl will end up seeing it b/c of it's location in the forums and not in it's own section.  I just want to get those reviews in their respected boards.

If a mod is put off by having to work w/ his board, then maybe he should re-consider being a mod.  Sorry.  It's a job though.  An unpaid, but much appreciated job that this person has undertook and while some may have wanted it just for recognition and a title, it's something that has to be earned everyday to make this site the best it can be.  How many submittals will a mod really get.  Maybe,,,,,maybe one a week.  If he can't take time out to proof read a proposed review in maybe 15 minutes, maybe he should consider dropping down that title and give it to some one motivated.  Someone committed.  If someone wants to make the arguement that this will discourage reviews or something else, then by all means.  But I really hope no one does stoop to laziness as an excuse to not want to approve reviews.

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »

I'm long-winded.
The section for game reviews that you did is what got me thinking about it.  It's great initiative and I'm not trying to discourage that, but I foresee that as we get more reviews, this will just be one loooonngg thread of game reviews, not organized at all and how will someone find, say that "Borderlands" review.  They will have to scroll through page after page until they come to it.  But I think more ppl will end up seeing it b/c of it's location in the forums and not in it's own section.  I just want to get those reviews in their respected boards.

If a mod is put off by having to work w/ his board, then maybe he should re-consider being a mod.  Sorry.  It's a job though.  An unpaid, but much appreciated job that this person has undertook and while some may have wanted it just for recognition and a title, it's something that has to be earned everyday to make this site the best it can be.  How many submittals will a mod really get.  Maybe,,,,,maybe one a week.  If he can't take time out to proof read a proposed review in maybe 15 minutes, maybe he should consider dropping down that title and give it to some one motivated.  Someone committed.  If someone wants to make the arguement that this will discourage reviews or something else, then by all means.  But I really hope no one does stoop to laziness as an excuse to not want to approve reviews.

I didn't mean the mods would be put off by the approval of the reviews I meant that the people doing the reviews would something to the effect of "I tried to do something helpful and somebody thought it wasn't good enough" that's why I included my idea of an outline I think if people know what is expected before they write  it would help everyone and the reviews would be well organized for easy reading. could also do sub  sections(some how) RPG,FPS, etc. that way its not a  cluster F like you had mentioned. why must you argue with me all the time do you think my avatars sexxxy  :LMAO:

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline bradt32225

• Ask me about my hairy nipples
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
Yes that means I can have people submit pictures to me and I get to review them before anyone else gets to see them. That is an awesome idea....... :LMAO:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:23:06 PM by bradt32225 »

bradt32225" border="0

Offline dewman28

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »
Yes that means I can have people submit pictures to me and I get to review them before anyone else gets to see them. That is an awesome idea....... :LMAO:

now thats Fn funny  :LMAO:

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »
While creating a child board for reviews is a good idea.    I still like the "Reviews" section.

The reviews section is a mod created for just this purpose.   We can create all the catagories that we want.   As far as I understand, we can even have multiple reviews of the same game.  I would just have to put them in their own catagory.  For instance:    Games
                        Xbox 360
                            Football
                                 Madden 2010
                                      Review 1
                                       Review 2

And so on..

To answer some of Aftrs' questions.  Here are some of the things that the review mod can do for each member.   

Access Reviews   
   Manage Reviews   
   Comment   
   Rate as user   
   Rate as critic   
   Add item   
   Auto approve   
   Re-Rate items   
   Search reviews   
   Subscribe for notifications

Anymore quesitons, please ask.     

Also, it won't hurt to test the review mod first.   If it isn't something we like, we can create the child boards and have the same review author copy and paste the review over into there.   :)

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »
I think the review mod that we have is great, I just don't like where it is located.  I would much rather see it as a child board, but as far as accomplishing all that I asked you about, I think it does all that and more.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I could put a link to in right below where you click on New Posts and New Gaming Posts.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.