Author Topic: Just got a Wii and have some questions  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • And then there were 5
Just got a Wii and have some questions
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
 My FIL gave us a $100 gift card to Amazon for Christmas, and we used it towards a Wii. I need to get another controller and the HDMI cable. The cable only needs to be about 6" long... any suggestions?

I'm reading that the Wii isn't HD. So, if not, is there much of a clearity difference between the AV cable and the AV to HDMI cable?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:09:49 PM by Scott H. »

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
Re: Just got a Wii and have some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
I haven't used the composite to HDMI.  My parents have a component cable that they use with their Wii which would be close to the same thing.  It makes a noticeable difference, but not huge.  I guess it depends on how much it is.  I would say anything under $15 for an "HD" cable for the Wii would be worth the price.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
I've only used composite cables for our Wii and it looks fine to me on our plasma.  Its not HD but I can tell what I am doing and see everything just fine and that's good enough for me.

dadof2b0ys

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »
I got component cables on ours. It looks better when playing on a big screen. You don't get the bars on the sides. I'm pretty sure I got them for less than $10 on amazon. 

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:27:13 PM »
I don't know if they fixed it, but I couldn't see any VC games w/ HD cables.  I got them on sale for like $10 though, so it wasn't a big deal.  You should be able to find entension audio/video cables though.  Just has a female end for you to plug your cables in from the Wii and then run it to the TV.  

Here's some ones I found just googling "audio/video cable extensions"
http://www.svideo.com/avextcable.html

dadof2b0ys

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
Must've been something they fixed with an update. I've never had an issue with my cables displaying VC games.

Offline pinmonkey001

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
If you need an extra controller then by far the best value is the "wii play" game.  it comes with about 6 or 7 games (including duck hunt) and a wii controller.  I wouldn't worry about the hd cables, but that's up to you.  Set your wii up on your home network (wireless network included) Wii actually has some neat internet features including world weather and news.  You can download the opera browser and watch youtube stuff on your tv and surf the web. Cool stuff.  The games are mostly kid games though.  the new Mario Bros Wii is kick ass.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
Your wii play had "duck hunt"?!  Man I got ripped!!

Offline pinmonkey001

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »
well it's a shooting game anyway.  first level is balloons, then it's targets, clay birds, cans, then ufos.  Also a tank battle thing and a few other games, including ping-pong and "laser hockey"

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
Oh yeah, I got that on my wii play as well.  So it's "like" duck hunt, but it's not duck hunt.

Offline Leukoi

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »
I got component cables on ours. It looks better when playing on a big screen. You don't get the bars on the sides. I'm pretty sure I got them for less than $10 on amazon. 

In the Wii home menu, it gives you options to set it up for wide screen or standard. 

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »
Thanks guys. WE had a blast palying it the other night. It came with Wii Sport, and we bought the other controller and nunchuck. The boxing really made me work up a sweat. We don't have wireless in our house (yet), but I think my neighbor does (my wife's phone is picking up someone's wifi) so I may jump on line with it soon.  :biggrin:

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

dadof2b0ys

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:23:10 PM »
You should try Punch Out! It's got most of the characters from Mike Tyson's Punch Out on the NES from way back in the day. It's a lot of fun.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »
I was wondering if that was any good.  It looks pretty awesome but I didn't think the controls would be very well done.  I might pick it up if I get a chance...

Offline Leukoi

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:18:32 AM »
Thanks guys. WE had a blast palying it the other night. It came with Wii Sport, and we bought the other controller and nunchuck. The boxing really made me work up a sweat. We don't have wireless in our house (yet), but I think my neighbor does (my wife's phone is picking up someone's wifi) so I may jump on line with it soon.  :biggrin:

Mario Kart online is a blast. 

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution