Author Topic: Need some suggestions...  (Read 2687 times)

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
Need some suggestions...
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
Jackson doesn't seem to enjoy vegetables very much.  At all really.  We feed him what we can, but generally have to disguise it in a meal, or cover it in like a cheese sauce.  I was thinking since he still seems to need us to feed him with a spoon (sometimes, he is getting there though  :excited:) I was gonna puree up some carrots or something and feed it to him that way.

Any suggestions on how to get him to eat veggies?

Thanks guys.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Need some suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »
How old is he?

Offline Rich M

• If I set up a day to meet online, I'll be there three days later......maybe.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:53:47 PM »
You could also try drinking the veggies??  Can he drink a V8, or something like that?   At least that way you know he's getting a couple of servings of veggies every day...even if he doesn't "eat" them. 
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about??

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
Sorry Fro, he is 13/14 months.  Not old obviously, but we want to incorporate the veggies but just can't figure out how.

Never thought about a V8...  Nice suggestion.  Thanks Rich.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
Be careful of V8 with a toddler.  The sodium content is quite high and you don't want him getting hooked on it and then shunning other drinks during the day favor of it.

I he's eating fruits and other whole foods (aka, not processed foods) happily, then you might have to consider yourself lucky enough in what's eating.  We never "pushed" the veggies.  We'd try to get them to eat it but would back off if they resisted too much.  The thing about that age is, as soon as you get used to what they do eat, they change their minds. So just because he doesn't want veggies now, it doesn't mean he won't in the future.  Keep trying, but be patient.

Ok that's my  :2cents:

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »
I love the sweet carrots.   I don't know what they are called.     Have you tried broccoli?  Just cutting it into small pieces?  Broccoli is good.  :)

They also make other drinks that have full servings of vegetables.  V8 makes those drinks too.  Plus they also make a low sodium v8 in all of those drinks.   Might be worth looking into and then asking your pediatrician if it's ok.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
With Nik, we would tell him "Don't you eat those carrots!", and he'd wolf them down. Then, after he ate them, I'd always make sure to say "Mmmm, those are GOOD!"

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline JacksDaddy

• Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

We have tried broccoli, even with a nice cheese sauce on it and still nothing.  He ate a couple bites, but still wouldn't really go for it.  The best we have been able to do is frozen peas.  He loves those.  I just puree'd up some carrots and baby dal and some zucchini millet, so maybe he will enjoy those.  We'll see.  Thanks again.

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
what kind of foods does he like? try and think of combos of food he  already likes and enjoys and add veg to those try a little at a time as not to change the flavor of the food he likes. I like to add corn and spinach to spaghetti the corn adds a sweet flavor and besides the green color of the Spanish you can't tell that its there. my 2yo barely eat any real food but she destroys her spaget ti and its a fairly healthy food can also make it with ground turkey or chicken to make it better for you. post what foods he eats and I can try to come up with other combos for him

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline JacksDaddy

• Big Daddy Hero
  • My baby girl
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
Honestly, he eats just about everything.  Chicken, ground beef, salmon (or other fish), pork, turkey, all of the meats really, and he really enjoys fruit (blueberries not so much anymore) but just can't get veggies down.  We have veggies mixed into some meals, but not all.  I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks.

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
try low sodium soy sauce and make some stir fry. He mite dig the baby corn, lots of diffrent textures and flavors also. He's got to like something it's just a matter of him eating all of them, then the second or third veg you tried will be the one he likes 

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

diamondback

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
Kids learn by example.  When he continues to see you eating your vegetables, he'll eventually learn to do the same.  I can only assume you all eat at the table, but since it wasn't mentioned, I just figured I'd toss that in there

Spectre

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:58:43 PM »
my girls are the same way with veggies. The only vegetables my oldest will eat is potatoes, raw carrots and salad sometimes. My youngest is now following suit. I put different things on their plates hopping they will try different things. They both ate everything up to around just over a year old. I'm hoping the phase won't last but who knows.

beaman

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
you can also try graduates veggie puffs. it is like a cheese doodle but it has vegetables. they also have yogurt snacks pieces that have veggies in them. so he thinks he is having a good snack which it is but it also has veggies.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution