Author Topic: Food Allergies  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
Food Allergies
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »
how many of you guys are dealing with food allergies?
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Re: Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:30:36 AM »
None aside from a lactose intolerance.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:05 AM »
Our four-year daughter has a pretty nasty peanut allergy.

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:45:24 PM »
i teach at a culinary school and this is a frequently asked point of concern, at this point i have only visited questions pertaining to the sweeter side of our industry. I would like to at least visit ingredients in this thread that one could use in place of common ingredients used in baked goods to replicate foods most people are used to enjoying. I plan on visiting food allergies that deal with the most common food allergies such as gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nut allergies. If you have any specific questions our have more experience on a specific topic than i do PLEASE sound off on these very important topics. Got a favorite dish that your cannot share with your kids? let me know and i will exhaust my resources trying to figure out a replication of your food.

Offline Chef Dad

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
peanut butter cookies with a peanut allergy? recipe as follows;

Pretend Peanut Butter Cookies

3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
1 1/4th cups Bob's red mill gluten free all-purpose baking flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup organic palm fruit oil shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packes light brown sugar
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter ( this stuff is AWESOME!!! )
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

makes about 20 small cookies

*preheat oven to 375 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
*in a cup or small bowl, combine the water and flaxseed meal and allow to thicken for 3 to 5 minutes. in a large bowl, whisk together the flour , baking powder, salt and xanthan gum.
*in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the shortening, sugars, and sunflower seed butter. scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat in the flaxseed mixture and the vanilla. scrape down the sides of the bowl again. stir in the dry ingredients until thouroughly combined.
*using a small ice cream scoop, drop the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared sheets. press the cookies down with the tines of a fork ( dipped in sugar ) in the criss-cross pattern characteristic of peanut butter cookies.
*bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden and the tops no longer lok wet. transfer the cookies directly onto the racks to cool completely.
*store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

This recipe was taken from Allergy-free desserts written by Elizabeth Gordon

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »
Our four-year daughter has a pretty nasty peanut allergy.
:plus1: my girl is 2 1/2 and is allergic to all nuts

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
i am just curious how you guys all handle the allergy to nuts that the kids have.  Not having peanuts would be a shock to me.  I know that it is what you guys need to do for your kids (by not having it in the house or what not) but wow.  Major props.  God willing none of our kids will develop this, our neighbor boy has an allergic reaction to peanuts so they have no peanuts / peanut prodicts in the house.  That, would be hard.

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »
My youngest has peanut allergies.  Like, SEVERE peanut allergies.

We do not have ANY peanut products - and, that's the easy part ... LOL ... A) I eat me a Snickers at work sometimes so I can get me some peanuts ... but, the hard one B) we have to watch WHERE we eat out.

Example, Chik-fil-a uses peanut oil.  Thus, we don't eat there.  Chinese restaurants use peanuts in a buttload of stuff - so, we have to be VERY careful.  We were even advised against ANY nuts - i.e., tree nuts.  Which makes it even more difficult.

Going out for an ice cream calls for us to ask for them to actually wash the scoop.  And, we've said more than once: "No, honey.  You can't have that ice cream because the one next to it has nuts." ...

You actually get kind of used to it.  As sad as that is.

And, for peanut butter, we use Sunbutter (made with sunflower seeds).  And, turns out, we actually like it BETTER than peanut butter.  We tried Soy Butter, but - ick.  And, my wife just subs the Sunbutter for peanut butter whenever she makes her peanut butter cookies.

The actual hardest part isn't so much on our decisions.  It's more on trusting that my 5 year old (the one with the allergy) will tell people trying to give her snacks what she can't eat.  Because, it's not a matter of IF we'll ever use the Epi-pen ... it's WHEN.
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:20 PM »
Tony, Chik-fil-a is safe. They use refined peanut oil.  The refining process removes the peanut protein.  It's the "cold pressed" peanut oil that's the dangerous one.  But, like you, we just stay away from the place because it's not worth the risk.  Same with Chinese food.  We won't eat anywhere unless we grill the manager in advance.  Mostly we don't eat out.   We have however found most Italian places to be safe because of their natural lack of peanuts and peanut products in the recipies.  Of course, the desserts at any place can involve nuts, especially if ice cream is on premises since it tends to be a common topping.

Offline dewman28

• I LOVE the Phoenix Suns! Especially Steve Nash. Boy would I like to get a piece of that!
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »
We have nothing with nuts in the house!!! she is deathly allergic to almonds,pistahios and peanuts so we avoid anything with nuts. I end up reading the entire list of ingredients of anything we buy even then when some others in the household go shopping some stuff has made it home! I freak out and take whatever food it is to the garbage outside. Junk food is the worst as far as being processed in the same factory as nuts. There is even a brand of fruit snacks at WinCo that has nut allergins in it I think the brand is Sun Belt. Fro seems to have a good grasp on what to do and ask he helped me out Ill post a link to some of the info he gave to me

http://www.daddyplace.com/index.php/topic,14974.msg152876.html#msg152876

"Reflecting on my life I would rather wish I had made more money, rather than spending more time with my kids"-SAHD

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution