Author Topic: Cabin fever remedies??  (Read 1614 times)

fatt_tony_13

Cabin fever remedies??
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:09:08 AM »
I have been a stay at home dad for a couple years now. The kids are 8 and go to school all day which leaves me at home alone. My wife has noticed that I have become more and more irritable as the winter had gone along. She even said that in the summer my attitude is way better. I play softball and help with the coaching of the boys sports teams which helps. With it still being a bit cool here for outdoor activities at the moment there just isnt much that I can do outside of cleaning, sleeping, surfing the net, and playing video games.

Im just curious what other people do to keep this from happening to them. I have a garage that I am slowly hoping to turn into a woodworking shop. Once that is done itll be much better. There is heat out there and I can work on building some shelves and other things for the house. I also want to build some things to sell. Things like birdhouses and feeders. Until then if you guys have any other suggestions Id like to hear them.

Offline rob_ferg

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Re: Cabin fever remedies??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »
if you bundle up enough, it really isn't too bad to be outside during the winter.  The problems I have is finding the motivation to bundle up, and figuring out what I want to do to get back into it.  part of me really wishes that I learned how to ski/snowboard as a young lad.

My running took a hit this winter with the weather/cold, feeling under the weather and such, but i went out a few times (not nearly enough) and when I get my new work schedule hammered down and warmer weather setting in, I hope to be able to get back into it...but I think any physical activity either inside or out will help with cabin fever.  It seems like in the winter, I bunker in, stay indoors and not do much of anything...and before I finally got a job, there would be some days when I would barely leave the house.

mr liggett

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:37:30 PM »
kinda funny my wife was just bitchen about me being a major crabass the past few months and myself i seen me hetting more and more of a short fuse with people and the kids cus i have 5 girls and they drive me fing nuts my god when they turn teenagers i'm moving to the garage allready got a half a head of gray and i'm 27 but i have to force my self outside in the winter find somthen to do mess with the car just put a new moter in my 85 wagon made it take all winter my 99 cav has new plug wire struts new tranny a fuel system hell i just rebuilt my old 79 chevy wood bed truck anything to get past the winter blues right

Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »
After being a keen mountain biker and hiker I felt I was going stir crazy when I became a stay at home dad with my newborn twin daughters. All my close friends avoided me like the plague for reasons I can't figure out apart form the fact I now had kids and they didn't. As far as exercise went in cold weather it was just a case of wrapping everyone up warm and going for long walks with the pushchair. I timed that around their afternoon nap so I could be out for a good 2 hours. When they were old enough to sit in a bike trailer I hitched them up to the back of my mountain bike and took them out on short runs along the coast. They are now old enough for me to take them out on tag-alongs, unsure what they may be called in the US but it's basically a mountain bike with the front wheel missing that connects to the back of my bike. The girls have always loved going out cycling and are looking forward to the warmer weather so we can go again. They are even becoming keen little hikers themselves and we've walked many short trails around the moors together.

I dont have much advice as to what you can do by yourself without the kids because I had no chance of getting away from mine until they were old enough to start nursery. I then had at least a couple of hours spare each day to get out cycling by myself. As for activities at home, if it wasn't for my XB360 and the occasional glass of sauvignon blanc  :biggrin: I don't know how I would've kept sane.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution