Author Topic: Boy Scouts  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Boy Scouts
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »
My son and I have been doing Cub Scouts for the last five years. He crossed over into Boy Scouts in March. The troop he is with is Troop 7322, in Reno. I have been involved as an adult leader throughout and am still at it. Right now I am only a committee member until I finish up some Boy Scout adult leader training, then I will be one of the assistant scout masters for the troop.

The reason I am posting here in the outdoors section is because our troop is very active outdoors. We camp one weekend a month in every month except December for the holidays, and July because of the week long resident camp that our troop goes to. This year the resident camp will be in Sierra Marin.

This weekend was the third weekend that Jeremy and I went out. It was a blast. We camped in a small canyon in the middle of the desert. We had climbing and hiking for activities. Two of our dads are Boy Scout certified climbing instructors an we have all the belaying and repelling equipment. The trrop also went on a five mile hike learning orienteering, plant recognition, and a little geology. Most of all though we had fun.

The troop is broken up into patrols by age group and my son is in Lightning patrol, which is the patrol I started with most of the boys in it, in Webelos, we all just sort of moved up. LOL I am in Elephant Patrol, the adults patrol. Basically our job is to guide and keep the boys from maiming each other.  :laugh2: Otherwise the troop is all boy driven, which is as the Boy Scouts were intended to be.

One thing nice is my patrol tends to eat a bit better than the boys. We dads know how to cook better and work a little better together to make more elaborate meals.  ~o) Each patrol has their own patrol box with stove to prep tools for meals. We also do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking which I am learning. I never have done it before moving up to Boy Scouts.

If you have boys, I highly recommend scouts.

I will post some pictures later.

huedogg1976

Re: Boy Scouts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
my boys and I have been involved with cubscouts since they were both tigers and just the other night the oldest moved up to Webelo 2 and the youngest is now a wolf. we have a blast together, especially up at scoutcamp. i am really looking forward to the boyscouts and the longer hikes and campouts.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:59:18 AM »
Eagles House Camp Out pictures.

This first one is of our flags and troop trailer. Behind the troop flag there is a green box on wood legs next to a table. That is a patrol box. The Elephant Patrol's to be exact.

This one is kind of a look down at the center of our camp.

Our climb setup.

Camp Fire.

The troop.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:42:37 AM by Ramblin' Dad »

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:45:01 AM »
my boys and I have been involved with cubscouts since they were both tigers and just the other night the oldest moved up to Webelo 2 and the youngest is now a wolf. we have a blast together, especially up at scoutcamp. i am really looking forward to the boyscouts and the longer hikes and campouts.

It is great! I too have been involved since Jeremy was a Tiger. Yes Boy Scouts is cool. You are gonna love it.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:52:22 AM »
i am definitely looking forward to doing this with William when he gets a little older.  Some quality father-son time.  At what age can they join?

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:13:07 AM »
i am definitely looking forward to doing this with William when he gets a little older.  Some quality father-son time.  At what age can they join?

First grade. It isn't so much by age as it is by grade. First through fifth are Cub Scouts; First are Tigers, Second are Wolfs, Third are Bears, Fourth are Webelos 1, and Fifth are Webelos 2. The graduate to the next stage in the spring before school is out  here, which is why Jeremy is in Fifth and just moved up to Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts are generally from Sixth grade until they turn 18. If they get there Eagle Scout they can continue with scouts as Eagles and/or adult leaders. If they did not reach their Eagle by the time they are eighteen they are done.... done until they have their own boys involved. :)*

I only went through Cub Scouts and never went into Boy Scouts as a boy. Now I am learning with Jeremy and taking classes to be able to instruct and be an adult leader.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:19:07 AM »
thanks for the info John.  I was a Webelo for about a year, until my parents got tired of taking me.  My dad was not involved with it, so as stated earlier this is one thing i am looking forward to.  So looks like i have  6 years until he can start, fits perfect into me retiring from the Army b then.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:19:20 AM »
Nice!  I did the Cub Scouts/Webelos and got pretty much every award you can get.  My dad was a den dad.  I went into Boy Scouts but didn't get far.  Tenderfoot.  All I wanted to do was camp and there wasn't enough of it.  Not like your troop.  I'm hoping to get Tommy into it when he gets old enough.  Good learning experiences.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »
Boy Scout Troops vary in what they do. Some camp more than others. If you and your son want to camp a lot make sure you join a group that camps a lot. Your boy can join any troop. They all vary in what they do, so help your boy research which troop he wants to join. Our cub scout pack feeds our boy scout troop, but the boys were not required to join the troop. They could have gone anywhere they wanted.

Some troops may tell you that your boy has to join them because of where they go to school or because the came from a feeder pack, but that is not true. Do your research and find what you want.

Jeremy and I are lucky the because the troop our pack feeds is right up our ally. Camping once a month and very active. All the adult leaders want our boys to make Eagle and actually earn it. We are there to make sure they have all they need to do that and to have fun while they are.

beorn33

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
I can't wait until my boys are old enough to join.  I had so much fun as a scout, and learned so much.  I made it to Eagle in '93 at 15 years old, and stayed active within our troop until I was 17.  My boys are turning 3 in a month and a half,and already they just want to stay outdoors, so the scouts should be a perfect thing for them.  Not to mention all the nefarious things you can do once you learn a few knots.    :biggrin:

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:10 AM »
I got back earlier today from a weekend in the mountains with my son and the scouts. It was awesome and the first time I've ever back packed in to camp. I am one tired dad tonight. It was only two miles, but I am just a tad out of shape and we had snow berms we had to climb over. Most of the snow was melted, but as we got high enough there were unmelted berms to climb over. I got my work out in.

The snow was not planned. In fact we were planning on driving further up and hiking into a different lake than we camped at. We ended up parking lower down and hiking up to the lake we were planning on parking at initially. After we set up camp a lot of the boys day hiked into the lake we were going to camp at initially. I stayed in camp with the other boys that opted out of the extended hike. It was relaxing lazing around the lake watching the boys entertain themselves. The water was too cold for swimming (actually still had ice floating in it) but it was in the upper 80's to low 90's so we stayed down by the lake and the boys waded and sank boats they made with rocks. Hey they had a blast doing it and it was a harmless couple hours of fun while the others hiked to the other lake. A few of the boys dunked below and were challenging each other. The first to dunk himself challenged his dad to do the same. It was hilarious to watch. Dad wasn't too keen on dunking the family jewels in the icy water. He did though. Can't have junior no balls him. LOL

The view and the outdoors were more than worth the hike.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 10:06:46 AM »
outstanding John, sounds like and looks like you and your son (and the other families) had a blast.  I will need to make sure i find a pack that does this type of stuff when William is old enough.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
Last night I took my boys to their first Boy Scout meeting.  We were just visitors because we haven't applied yet.  The boys learn't fire safety and played a few games around the campfire.  Then they decided to play Fox and Hound while I met and talked to the adult leaders. 
I'm happy to say that we all had a great time and we all look forward to going back and doing it again.  I should be filling out some paperwork soon for them.  :)

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
Awesome!  Since this post we joined the cub scouts.  My son is a Tiger Scout and I'm assistant Den Leader.  We both love it.  He talks about it all the time

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
Awesome!  Since this post we joined the cub scouts.  My son is a Tiger Scout and I'm assistant Den Leader.  We both love it.  He talks about it all the time

That's great Randy!   I can't tell you how much my boys enjoyed it last night.  Also, to get to where the meetings are you almost have to have a 4x4!   Our 2 wheel drive Explorer almost didn't make it.   LOL
Just curious, because I didn't ask.  How much are the fees, for both you and your son?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution