Author Topic: PSN possibly getting a paid premium  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
PSN possibly getting a paid premium
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
From gamespy.com
With Microsoft's Project Natal and Sony's PlayStation Move, next month's E3 promises to have its share of major news. But the event will also become the stage where a number of smaller announcements are made -- and according to one source, one of those announcements will be an overhaul to the PlayStation Network that includes a premium, subscription-based service.

Citing an unnamed "highly-placed source," VG247 reports that Sony will announce a "large-scale monetizing scheme for PSN" at E3. The source was quick to tell VG247 the network's free aspects for PlayStation 3 gamers, including voice chat, will remain the same.

"I can tell you now, 100%, that that's not the case," the source said. "There's nothing in the premium package which will gimp regular PSN users."

Though it was not explicitly stated, it appears Sony will attempt to charge an annual fee of "under $50" for access to a library of digital games and music, a service plan similar to Microsoft's Zune Pass and Spotify's music service, only with a few games added to the mix.

According to VG247's source, subscribers will be able to download one new game each month from a smaller, plan-specific library of PSN games. Along with the games, subscribers will be able to stream music from Sony's library and play that music in the background of PlayStation games.

Sony's E3 press conference is slated for June 15.

It seems much better than Xbox LIVE based on this.  Of course, it says it won't interfere w/ voice chat, but does that mean it will charge for multiplayer like Xbox LIVE.  Make it less than $50 a year, and hopefully offer some good games for download, and this will be worth much more than Xbox LIVE.  Even if the games are just decent, or perhaps some PS2/PS1 titles, I think it would be worth it.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
Re: PSN possibly getting a paid premium
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »
Here's another article.  We'll find out in about 3 weeks for sure.  But even though the features sound very cool, $10 just seems too steep to me.
According to Joystiq's sources, Sony is set to reveal a premium tier of the PlayStation Network service, labeled PSN+, during its 2010 E3 media briefing. Unlike Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold service, PSN+ will focus on giving paid subscribers additional bonuses without limiting online multiplayer between paying and nonpaying users.

Many of the features included in the premium service mimic those featured in a supposed survey released late last year. Sources tell us that subscribers will have access to a rotating list of PSP Minis and PSone Classics, exclusive in-game DLC, discounts to the PlayStation Store and "first hour" demo access to full retail titles. Following the first hour of gameplay, players will have the ability to purchase the full title; however, demo access will only be available once the entire title has been downloaded.

As PSN+ subscribers, gamers will also receive protection for their consoles with the recently announced PlayStation Protection Plan, as well as exclusive access to the long-awaited cross-game voice chat. Additional features are said to be in the works following the launch of PSN+, including the previously rumored cloud-based saving system.

Joystiq has been informed that PSN+ subscribers will also have the ability to enable an auto-patching feature, which will detect, download and install updates for recently played PS3 titles on the system.

Pricing and a release for the PSN+ service is unknown, though one source speculates PSN+ may cost $9.99 per month. When contacted, a Sony representative said the company does not "comment on rumors or speculation."

Link

Offline Garand

• You can find me in the phone book, under "Professional Ninja"
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Husband, Father, Gamer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
I have to agree with Aftr on this.  $10 seems steep when you figure that there would be some months where the free games on the list will be duds or ones you've already bought.  Also, what if none of your friends sign up?  That cross-game chat would be useless to you.  There are some nice things offered like exclusive dlc, auto updating, and extended warranty but $120 per year sounds crazy.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »
"Cross game voice chat"

You mean...like Xbox's party chat?

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Spectre

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:26:03 PM »
"Cross game voice chat"

You mean...like Xbox's party chat?
yeah.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »
Cross game chat should be free.  A lot of b***** is going on in the forums over this and I can't blame them.  Only die hard Sony fans are crying how great this is.  I agree w/ ya'll too that sometimes the games might be duds to.  What then.  And auto updating, shouldn't that be automatic too????  That doesn't seem right to me to pay for that.  But while it is speculated to be $120 a month, I'm sure you will be able to find discounts, just like we all find LIVE for a year for $35 or less.  I would imagine you should be able to find the PSN preminium service for $like $65 a year or so.  Maybe not right away, but down the line.  As long as they sell subscription cards for it, even though I see alot less sales on PSN point cards than I do for MS cards on sale.
The games if they are good, the warranty, and the 1st hour demo of any game seem like some really great features though.  Time will tell if the DLC is good or not though.  I would imagine it would get better as time goes on, but usually at first, it is pretty cheesy.  All things new usually just need some time to take off.

Offline PFof2

• "If at first you don't suceed, respawn and try again."
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • heh heh yeah!
    • Mike Richardson Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
Free PSN is the main reason I keep my PS3. start charging and I may have to sell it and just buy a blu-ray player.I already traded several PS3 games in to buy RDR. I kept 2 games that were PS3 exclusives. I agree the first hour demo's would be cool though. DLC? will you have to buy that with PS points like you do with Live or will that be included with your $9.99 a month subscription?

AIRWAVES

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:10:05 AM »
I never liked my PS3 for gaming. I hate the PS3 controller.  NOW that I can us my xbox controller on the PS3 I think I will play it allot more. Love it now. Finally can start using it for more than a blue-ray player. I don't think I would pay for PSN though.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:24:37 AM »
PSN as you know it will remain free.  Multiplayer included.  This would just be an option to expand your options when you use PSN.  So they are still offering free multiplayer.  I wish MS would give mp free, but then who would buy gold?  No one.  That makes too much money.  And Sony knows that while this is true,the main selling point for any and all playstations is free online mp.  Take that away, and they would give half their sales to MS.  Not gonna happen.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 11:47:52 AM »
PlayStation 3 owners have been asking questions about Sony's premium PSN service, PlayStation Plus, since it was officially announced at E3. Finally, via a lengthy post on the European PlayStation Blog, there are some answers -- most notably: No, PS Plus will not provide cross-game chat.

"Hi Guys, just wanted to send you a second post on the details of PlayStation Plus and to clear up some of the confusion/answer some of the questions you have raised around the previous post," PSN Product Manager James Thorpe wrote. "Apologies for the length but there is a lot to cover!"

Thorpe goes on to explain the details of the service, nearly identical in the U.S. and Europe, which can be summed up like this: pay $50 for a full year or $15 for three months and you'll be able to download four digital games a month (one PSN game, two minis, and one PS One classic), get discounts on games and content, gain access to exclusive content, get full game trials, and receive automatic downloads of select demos, software updates, and game updates.

Addressing the most frequently asked questions about Plus, Thorpe wrote:
-- Cross-game chat is not currently included in PlayStation Plus.

-- You need to be the master account holder on the PS3 and be over 18 to purchase a Plus membership but other accounts on that PS3 will be able to play the games you download for as long as you are a member.

-- The 4 games you can download each month are yours to keep for as long as you are a member.

-- Playstation Plus is for PS3 owners as membership can only be purchased on the PS3 Store. However, some of the content -- minis and PSOne Classics -- available each month will also be playable on your PSP if you have one. Download them on the PS3 and transfer to your PSP, or download directly from the PSP Store or Media Go for PSP.
Thorpe went on to stress that PlayStation Plus is an "evolving" service which Sony will continue to tweak based on consumer feedback

Article

Sounds like a cool service.  I would pay for it if I had a PS3, and then hopefully they sell cards like MS, which will inevitably lead to sale prices on it.  Hope MS starts doing something like this for gold members.  Knowing MS, they will do a premium gold, or reincarnate diamond, and charge $80 a year for it.  Hopefully not and they just follow Sony's model.  This is why multiple consoles competing is good.  If it was just Nintendo and Sony right now, Sony would care less and also probably wouldn't stress online play as much.  Sony hardcore and Nintendo casual.  Competition is good.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution