Author Topic: j.bagge0023's Q&A  (Read 3001 times)

j.bagge0023

j.bagge0023's Q&A
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
Hey guys... This is Josh's wife.  I know this is a place for Dad's, but I need some help.  I was hoping no one would mind.  Here's the problem, and normally I wouldn't ever complain about just getting money randomly.  Well, I checked our bank account not too long ago, and there was a pretty good chunk of money in it.  It said it was deposited by ARMY ACT DFAS-IN IND IN on the 21st of this month.  Under transaction is says ACH Credit.  I have no idea what this is.  I've tried to google it, but without success.  I thought the paychecks would be coming in on the 1st and the 15th of each month?  If someone can explain this to me I'd really appreciate it!!  I hope someone can figure this out lol, and thanks!!

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
Boot camp pay is very weird.  I think maybe it holds it for 6 days or so before it releases it to a bank.  And that's only b/c you are his wife.  When I was in boot camp, I never got any pay for 3 months, and then when I got out, 3 months of pay was deposited into my bank.  You do spend some money in boot camp buying supplies and stuff, things not told to you when you join.  They say you will get out w/ 3 months of pay in your pocket, but you spend some of it in boot camp.  So I would just guess that they are holding the money for a few days b/c of processing complications being different from others, and to check his expenditures in boot camp.  Hope that helps.  I was just single when I went through boot camp.   :no_teeth:

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:13:50 PM »
Agree with Damian's explanation.  I know when I was in basic (many, many moons ago), the deposit times were very goofy.  They "hold some back" and then the account gets dumped.
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

j.bagge0023

j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »
Well I didn't think that they would hold anything back... Just because myself and our daughter are up here ya know?  We have bills to pay and she still needs diapers lol.  Some website I was looking at said that we would be receiving $1,254 in housing allowance each month, which is pretty close to what got deposited in our account.  So I'm hoping that's what it is.  I ran out of money quite a while ago, and was forced to borrow from my mom.  The pay days are the 1st and the 15th though right?  Anyway, Josh says he's doing well.  We get to talk for a few minutes on Sundays.  He loves that he's quit smoking and says that all the exercise isn't bad either!  His graduation is on July 9th, so we're both pretty excited about that.  If there's anything ya'll want me to pass onto him I'd be more than happy to!

Thanks again for the help guys =] I really appreciate it.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
Pay days are typically the 1st and 15th (there about).  It all depends what day the 1st and 15th land on.  If they land on a weekend, than payday will be the last day of the work week.  When i went to basic in 1997 and am still in the military.  Not that it applies here, but in the future when DFAS puts "extra" money in your account, be careful on spending it.  The military is quick to take an overpayment back (sometimes all in full), and slow to give money.  Trust me, DFAS recently made an error on my account which is costing me $4000.  What day did he start basic.  The pay maybe his mid month pay, but without knowing the day he started, i could not make an accurate stab as to what it was.  BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) is typically prorated for the month, so this also depends what day he reported to basic.  (For example) If he was only in basic for 2 weeks, than he would only get 1/2 of the BAH.  The amount you see is most likely a combination of BAH and Basic Pay.  Also remember that total pay for the month is split between the 2 paychecks, to include BAH.  Once pay is stabilized, you will receive roughly the same amount of $ on each pay period.  The amount you see is most likely what he has already worked and the next payday together.  If you have access to his MYPAY account, you can look at his end of month LES (Leave and Earnings Statement) that will state what all he was paid for, and also what deductions came out.  Speaking of LES': Mid month LES only shows how much you get paid, end of month shows you why you were paid that amount. For your husband to have a MYPAY account he needs to set it up, and give you access to it, from there he can control alot of his pay, for example allotments to set up billpay and whatever.  And on a side note, i am unsure who you bank with, but i have found that USAA is the best bank, especially for military.  Started and still run by military, and they CURRENTLY do everything from investments to regular banking functions.   Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Here is a link for a forum that i found on a similar question.  That answers it also.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/military-boot-camp/396974-basic-pay-questions.html

j.bagge0023

j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »
He left April 28th, but didn't actually start his basic training until the following Thursday, May 6th.  The recruiting officer set up an account with Armed Forces Bank for us before he left, but when Josh got down there he made a new account with Fort Sill National Bank.  FSNB has been pretty slow moving to get me the things I need.  I haven't even had my check card for a week, and I still haven't gotten the pin number yet.  I couldn't spend it if I wanted to lol.  I've heard that USAA is good.  I've done alot of research, and they seem to be the best with military families.  I don't have access to his myPay.  I'm hoping that he will get a chance to call me this evening.  The money was deposited on the 21st, so that kind of threw me off a little bit.  I wasn't expecting to see any money in our account when I checked, since just 6 days before we hadn't had anything. 
You are in Fort Hood?  How do you like it down there?  My cousin is living in Austin at the moment, so Fort Hood is one of the places we were going to try and get stationed at. 

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
MOST LIKELY his pay is covering for the month of May to include BAH.  I would be careful what you spend (besides essentials) because is pay will probably not stabilize for a month.  When you look at his LES that he has for June 1st, it covers the month before it.  This is why i am fairly sure that his pay is for the entire month (from the start of basic) and should include his BAH.  When you talk to him, ask him about MYPAY (here is the website)

https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx

He will be able to set him and you an account to have access to the site.  The spouse one is a little limited, but allows you to see what he made.  LES's come out about about a week before payday so you can see what he will get paid and plan accordingly.

We are enjoying Ft Hood, my wife more than I, as i am currently in Iraq.  But there is plenty to do, and it is in a nice location (all the big cities are within a few hours).  And the city of Killeen (right off of post) is very military friendly.  What MOS (job) is Josh doing? Or training for?  I would highly recommend switching to USAA once he graduates (if not sooner).  They are excellent for customer service on the phone, and you can do virtually everything from your house, which means no trips to the bank.  But that is just my recommendation.  I hope this helps out.

j.bagge0023

j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 01:20:48 PM »
Well.  When he enlisted, he signed up for 14e (patriot missile operator/maintainer).  He called me Friday evening and said that they were going to make him change his MOS to something that didn't have a "secret" security clearance.  I guess I don't know why MEPs let him have that job in the first place.  I'm worried that he won't be able to find something else that he likes and isn't dangerous.  The Army wants to keep him don't they?  He's already down there and is doing so well... They'll work with him to find another suitable job right?  I'm just worried that he might end up coming home.  It would be great to see him again, don't get me wrong... but he would back without a means of income, and he's worked so hard to be able to get into the Army and everything.
I spoke with a customer service representative from USAA a couple days ago, and she told me that I would be able to do everything online.  I made a login, but haven't set up any accounts yet.  I was thinking I could start the account, wait for the cards from USAA to arrive, withdraw some money (both Josh and I) and stop using the cards from FSNB.  Once everything clears with FSNB I thought that would be the perfect time to transfer funds and close that account.  It seemed to play out well in my head.  I just want to make sure that either one of us are unable to access our funds for any reason.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
While Josh was having his paperwork done, they most likely started a background check on him, they do it to everyone to see what sort of security clearance they could give him.  They go off of the assumption that he will be cleared for a secret, so they put him into that MOS under that assumption.  Background checks can take awhile.  If he had something in his history that causes him to not qualify for a Secret clearance, than they need to give him a different job.  There are other jobs in the Army that do not require clearances.  I do not believe they will send him home.  Once he finishes basic, he will go onto his next school for whatever job he does qualift for, UNLESS he decides that he does not like that job (if they give him the option) and then he could possibly get out.  There will be other opportunity's for him to try and get this original MOS, but he would have to do another job for a little bit.  Do not worry, unless he has something really bad on his record, i do not see them sending him home, that is just my opinion though. 

DO NOT close your account where his pay is going until HE changed where his direct deposit to go.  He has to change the bank through the Army (after you give him the routing number and account number).  If you close it before this happens, he will NOT get paid, until they can figure out where to pay him.  Best thing to do, is keep the old account open, UNTIL you see the money show up in the USAA account.  Than and only than you can close the original account.

j.bagge0023

j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
His charge isn't anything bad.  They knew he had it when he got the job though!  We can get the direct deposit changed through the mypay website correct?

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
The recruting and background checks are done by different groups of people.  Recruiting and MEPs just put people in the military.  Once in a different group of people will investigate the backgrounds.  Recruiters have a job: to fill whatever jobs are needed, they do whatever they can to fill those jobs and leave it up to someone else to get it to work right.

Yes he can change direct depost on mypay, however do not close your account until you see the first paycheck go to the USAA account. 

j.bagge0023

j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
Okay, I understand.  It's just too bad they couldn't put a little more effort into making sure that once someone has a job they love, they are able to KEEP it once they leave out for bct.  Thanks for the advice.  It really helps being able to talk to people that know and understand what's going on.  I'm still new to this whole military thing  :biggrin:

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
It is messed up, it's just that recruiters have so many slots to fill, for so many MOS's, and so many they can give to GED's and all.  It's all a bunch of hoopla.  But like Keith said, that's what the recruiters worry about.  Getting someone in.  They don't necessarily know what type of security clearance will be required for what job and what lvl someone will get classified as.  And as minor as it is, usually any type of small crime or drug use equals no security clearance.  Sorry.  But there is a ton of jobs he can sort through and find something he's interested in I'm sure.  It's really not so bad.  I know just about everyone signs up for one job, and once you find out what it entails and what other jobs are in the military, they wish they had signed up for a different MOS.   ~o)

j.bagge0023

j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »
So you really think he'll be able to find another job?  As much as I love and miss, I don't want him to come home until he's finished with his basic and advanced training.  We need this for our family, and I know he's been wanting a career in the military for a while also.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
j.bagge0023's Q&A
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
i am confident he will be able to get a different job.  There are plenty jobs in the military that do not require a Secret Clearance.  What does he have to say about it, have they told him they will give him something else?  Have they told him anything at all about it, other than he can not do it due to the clearance.  The Army needs everyone they can get, i do not see them making him get out for his clearance issue when there are other jobs available.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution