Author Topic: ModNation Racers  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Garand

• You can find me in the phone book, under "Professional Ninja"
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Husband, Father, Gamer
ModNation Racers
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
My son and I are pretty big Mario Kart fans so we picked this up after having fun with the demo version.  After a few hours of playtime here are some of my thoughts on it.

First I want to get the game's biggest problem out of the way as it will rear its head early and often...load times.  The game is presented in a hub world fashion.  You spawn in a speedway where you can drive to various areas to race, customize, or view dlc.  Once you pick where you want to go into you are treated to load times of up to 45 seconds.  Depending on the area it can be as low as 20 seconds but going into career mode and starting up races are the killer ones of close to a minute.   X-(
The developers have said a patch is coming to alleviate this but I'll believe it when I see it.

Enough of the griping though and on to the good stuff. 

Once you are in the customization areas you have a pretty robust set of tools to make drivers, karts, and tracks all your own.  Seeing the stuff people are making is really impressive.  I've seen dead on representations of Iron Man, Super Mario, Spider-man, Skeletor, and even Ghost from MW2.  As for the karts, the best I've seen looks like the van from A-Team and a couple of sweet versions of Bumblebee and Optimus Prime from the latest Transformers movies.

Racing is a lot like Mario Kart and is standard stuff.  It has some new twists like giving you points for drifting and drafting that will in turn fill your boost meter.  The boost meter can also be used in pinch to generate a shield to protect you from attacks.  So far I've found you need to always leave a little boost for shields as the AI is a MF and will do its best to knock you back a position.  Also, as you collect weapons you have the option of using or holding onto them so that you can upgrade it up to three levels.  Level three weps can easily take out half the field.  Take for example the missle or electro bolt.  Upgrading missle to lvl 3 nets you a flurry of rockets that is like that Jericho wep in the first Iron Man movie while building up electro bolt will cause a lighting storm over the track electrocuting everyone ahead of you.  Man I hate that one.   :hairpull:

So that's some basic thoughts on it.  Hopefully some dads can get it and we can run a few races. 

Offline bradt32225

• Ask me about my hairy nipples
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Re: ModNation Racers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »
I have it and you just need to add me on psn. I have a few other friends who have it as well. FYImy psn name is bradt32225

bradt32225" border="0

CrazyDaze

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
Just picked this game up last week. I haven't had a chance to play much but played the demo quite a bit before getting it. The load times are pretty long but not bad enough to keep me from playing. Hopefully there are enough dads with PS3's to get a good race going in the future.

Spectre

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
I have it as well, the load times are a little long but not horrible. It's pretty fun, I don't have much time it yet in though.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution