Author Topic: 4 year old using the toilet  (Read 2387 times)

CRUCIFIEDxx

4 year old using the toilet
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
I'm new at this, never dated a woman that has kids.

My womans 4 year old daughter, every time she has to go to the bathroom, she'll come in the room and tell me "I've got to potty" or she will ask, "Can I potty"? Then after she goes to the bathroom, she comes back into the room, and gives me a blow by blow replay-- She sais"I pottied, it went into the toilet, I flushed it and it went down the toilet". When she wakes up in the middle of the night, she'll run into the room, about to piss herself, and say "I've got to potty".

Is this normal? I've told her that she doesn't have to tell me she's got to potty, that she can just go-- but she refuses to do that.
So I started going into her room every time I've got to go to the bathroom, I tell her that I've got to potty, it's starting to get on her nerves, so I'm hoping she catches on-- but if she doesn't, is it normal for a 4 year old to tell us she's got to potty EVERYTIME she has to go?

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: 4 year old using the toilet
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »
In a nutshell, don't pay it back to her.  Let her tell you the blow by blow details.  It's important to her and at that age the fact that she went by herself is a matter of pride.  She has no one who (pun intended) gives a sh!t about it except her family.  So congratulate her, let her have her moments in the sun.  Gradually this will pass and it won't be an event any more, but don't make her feel bad about it because you can wind up causing unintentional emotional damage that will be much harder to deal with.  Good luck.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:01:14 AM »
What Mitch said.  Both of my kids did the same thing.  They would say how they just went potty, and I would tell them to give me a high-five, and while they are giving me a high-five, I would get the play by play detail.  Just go, "Alright!"  And laugh it up.  I would tease my kids too and ask if they had a turtle head popping out while they were going #1.  My wife was not amused, and they had no idea what I was talking about.  I would tell them the same thing though, I don't need to know everytime you go potty, it's OK.  But they are so proud like Mitch said.  This is essentially like your kid hitting the home run win.  They want you to know and celebrate with them.   ~o)

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »
like the others said, go with it.  It will pass before you know it.  Be glad that she is telling you stuff like that.  If you try to nip it now on something like this, you could possibly cause unintended harm.  If she feels she can tell you about this, then in the future she may fee like she can tell you other stuff.  If you make her feel bad about it, she may develop a sense that she cannot tell you stuff.  Just my opinion though.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution