Author Topic: Sad family pet news  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Pat

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 12
  • Hockey's back :)
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Pat
  • Xbox Gamertag: ragingpdm
Sad family pet news
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
Our one dog has been having issues the last few months with walking and getting up from laying down. Well Sunday morning he came in to the office to say hi at about 8 am...8:30 he took his daily poop on the floor (we think he gets confused if he's outside or inside with old age). I went out to feed them all at 9 am like usual. He would always stand at the garage door while I get the food and bark. Well he barked, but while laying on the kitchen floor. I thought, that's different. So I put his dish down in the normal spot and he just lays there looking at it. I tell him go ahead boy, go get your food. He tried to get up off the floor and nothing. I knew right then his hind legs finally gave. So all day he kept trying to get up and couldn't. It was killing me to see this...I couldn't even help him. I tried but he'd go right back down. It's Sunday...he's not in pain and I can afford paying $185 alone, just to walk in the door at the emergency vet, so we make him comfortable in the kitchen on lots of pillows. He's happy but not happy he can't get up from the floor. Monday I can't get an appointment, so I make it for Tuesday. Well Tuesday we take him in and he went to sleep with the doggy angels. It was very peaceful. I hate doing this stuff as I'm an animal lover and he's been with us for 8 years of his 14-15 year life. This dog was the wife's for the most part and I'm more effected by it than her. I went in the room to be with him when he went to sleep. It's crazy but it seemed like he knew. The look he gave me was like, it's ok dad, I will look over you and we'll meet again. Just killed me. And now I have to keep doing things to keep busy or I get thinking and just start to break. It's real sad that I get like this over animals more than I do people when they pass. With the exception of immediate family. Well I just wanted to share my family update which I wish  was a better one. Sorry for the long story but I just couldn't be blunt about it. Thanks for reading.

We Love you Preston....RIP big boy

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:53:12 AM by Emily's DaD »

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
Re: Sad family pet news
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:38:11 AM »
Hey Pat so sorry to read this.  I know how you feel.  I had to do the same thing with my dog.  Sucks big time.  I was there with him at the end too.
RIP

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about this Pat.  Hopefully keeping busy will be enough to get you through it.  I too was emotional when we lost a dog a few years ago.  Its hard.  Hang in there.

Offline vegaskiller73

• Too good to be caught around Damian and Joey
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
Sad to hear Pat. I know exactly what you are saying. My lab died last year and was in the same physical state as yours. It's heartbreaking to see them in pain. I couldn't do what you did and put her down. She finally gave out and died naturally. She was just like your's 14+ years old.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
My wife and I had to put our cat to sleep about 4 years back cause the vets didn't catch her leukemia. We had her for about 9 months and she was barely a year old. Regardless she was our baby girl and we loved her so much. One of the worst moments being there saying goodbye to her. Brings a tear to my eye even now as I talk about it. The pain will pass eventually pat but your love for him will always be there. Sorry to you and your family for your loss and if you wanna grab a drink let me know.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
Sorry Pat.   We've been down this road with pets far too often.  My wife refers to pets as a tragedy in a box, because for all of the joy they bring, you know it's going to end with sadness.    You will never forget Preston, but time will make it easier to deal with.

Offline Pat

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Thank you guys for the kind words and thoughts. Doing what I can to make it easier...if possible. Bless you all

Ryan...I'll definitely be down for a drink or two...or three...or four...just need to see how far we actually are from one another. Could be expensive drinks otherwise. lol

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
It's hard, but pets, even for adults, show us that cycle of life and I think make us better prepared for death when loved ones pass on.  Animals do know, and it's nice that you get to say your good-byes.  I knew my dog Daala was going to pass and she knew it too.  I slept on the kitchen floor that night, right next to her.  She died that morning, as if content with life.  Hang in there Pat.  RIP Preston.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
Ryan...I'll definitely be down for a drink or two...or three...or four...just need to see how far we actually are from one another. Could be expensive drinks otherwise. lol

Oh yeah, we are far.  I'm Southwest Goodyear and you are Mesa if I am not mistaken...  Roughly 40 - 50 miles depending on where we exactly are.  Nothing to say we can't meet in the middle and make it a little less expensive. 

I'll PM you my number.  Give me a call anytime.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:21:13 PM »
Sorry to hear Pat.   I know how hard it is to put a pet down, even if they are in pain. 

I had to do it last week for my parents dog, Titus.    They had him for 16 years.   My parents couldn't do it, so I had to take him to the vet and then bury him.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Pat

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:29:35 PM »
Thanks Keith. Your a great son for doing that. Must not have been easy even it not being your pet. Pet loss = sucks

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution