Author Topic: PS3 disc-less Netflix  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
PS3 disc-less Netflix
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »
PlayStation 3 Netflix users will soon be able to use the service without having to insert a disc into their console each and every time.

Netflix stated from the beginning that a disc-less version would eventually launch in 2010, but a timeframe was never given. CEO Reed Hastings recently stated in the company's latest earnings call, however, that an improved version of Netflix for PS3 is coming in the next couple months.

"Before our next call in October, we expect to be launching a major new version of our Sony PS3 user interface which doesn't require a disc and is dynamically updated continuously with the latest Netflix UI improvements," he said.

Hastings also commented on the newly announced Hulu Plus service, which is currently available in preview form on PS3 and will launch later this year.

"Once Hulu Plus has a few hundred thousand subscribers we'll be able to learn from consumers what they like about Hulu Plus," he added. "Then we'll work to incorporate what we find back into Netflix."

"The Hulu team is sharp, and we're not going to underestimate them."

Netflix recently announced the service would be available in Canada for the first time ever this fall.

Article

Very cool.  Xbox has nothing on the PS3 now.  Should only get better.

Offline vegaskiller73

• Too good to be caught around Damian and Joey
  • Big Daddy Hero
Re: PS3 disc-less Netflix
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »

Doesn't 360 already do this? Like for a while now? You are being sarcastic right?

Offline Garand

• You can find me in the phone book, under "Professional Ninja"
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Husband, Father, Gamer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »

Doesn't 360 already do this? Like for a while now? You are being sarcastic right?

It does but you need a gold account.  On PS3 you don't. 

Offline vegaskiller73

• Too good to be caught around Damian and Joey
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
It does but you need a gold account.  On PS3 you don't. 

Yeh, that's right. I don't see anything anywhere that says, they'll offer it for free or for a charge. I can't see PS3 allowing all that bandwidth usage and not start charging.

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:56:37 PM »
I don't think they are going to charge.  Wii doesn't charge either.  Face it, on this aspect, MS are douches, trying to get even more money for something they aren't even really providing.  It's not like if you have a gold account, you get access to Netflix.  You have to pay Netflix.  Sony has the model online system, so I hope that Sony does continue to grow and get better.  That will help improve gold to where it gets even better or becomes free.....but the latter will never happen.

Offline Garand

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Husband, Father, Gamer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »

Yeh, that's right. I don't see anything anywhere that says, they'll offer it for free or for a charge. I can't see PS3 allowing all that bandwidth usage and not start charging.

You pay for the bandwith when you pay your Netflix subscription.  Its the same as getting a blu-ray player or HD set with Netflix built in.  There's no extra charge on those devices either.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
More to point, you pay for bandwidth with your internet provider.  You pay Netflix for the service (and infrastructure to provide the movies) and PS3 is joining the fold because it's been so successful.  I have to assume Netflix kicks back to PS3 on a per-subscriber basis, otherwise I don't know how they (or any console) would profit from this.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
It's been on PS3, just you had to use a disc to access it, whereas Xbox was straight from the dash.  I don't think they get paid though.  Think of it more as a selling item that is mutually beneficial to both companies.  Buy a gaming console, and in addition, you can stream movies if you subscribe to Netflix.  Kinda like having that added bonus of a DVD player or Blu-Ray.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense.  Netflix is reaching a larger audience for their product.

Curious what PS3/MS/Nintendo get out of the deal, though.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Aftrthought051

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
I think it's that they sell more consoles.  Netflix even advertises on their website promoting it.  So if you are looking at one of their boxes and see that you can stream movies to the TV w/ a gaming console, you may feel you are getting more for your money.  I know when I was considering a Blu-Ray player, I was going to get the PS3 b/c it was the same price as a regular Blu-Ray player w/ that added feature of being a gaming console.  If the family is looking to buy a Netflix streamer for the TV, maybe we should just get little Johnny that Wii/XB360/PS3 b/c then we could watch Netflix movies as well and get him a gaming console all in one.
I think it might have lead to some additional console sales for all three systems.  MS is definitely at the biggest disadvantage w/ having to have a gold account though.

Offline Garand

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Husband, Father, Gamer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
I think it's that they sell more consoles. 

Yup, the consoles get to slap a Netflix sticker on the box and dads everywhere get another reason to justify buying a game console to the Mrs. 

I can't wait for it to be integrated into the xmb instead of the disc.  The disc based version seems to run much slower than the 360 dash version.

Offline JacksDaddy

• The last time I saw Kobe was in Denver,CO and we all know what happened there.....Ouch
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
  • My baby girl
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Ryan
  • Xbox Gamertag: ChillSuperfly
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »
I thought with the 360 you only had to have a silver account to stream netflix.  Guess I was wrong...

When it comes down to it, Sony has been making some bad a$$ audio/video products (not a big fan of their car stereo/home audio stuff, but that is another thread  :biggrin:).  If it weren't for Halo, I'd probably have a PS3, despite not being into Halo anymore.  DOn't think I could convince the Mrs. to let me buy a PS3 since we already have blu-ray and I have an xbox.  As far as she is concerned, I have everything I need.  I could pitch I don't have to spend $50 a year on XBL anymore lol...

CrazyDaze

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:57:20 PM »
If your looking to pitch a "We could use a PS3" then I'd go with..

1)  You can learn about history via God of War (1, 2 & 3). It explains why the roman/greek gods don't exist anymore.
      One of the best trilogy games ever.

2)  If she's not much of a gamer Little Big Planet is one of the funnest games to get started with since it's not hard and
      is a ton of fun for the whole family. You can pick it up cheap.

3)  If she's not much of a gamer and you have a second TV use "We can always use it for the extra TV
      to stream Netflix."

4)  Or the one I like to go with "It fell off a truck and I tried to tell the driver but he drove away."
      This one works she looks at the bank account. ;)

Offline Garand

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Husband, Father, Gamer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline Rich M

• If I set up a day to meet online, I'll be there three days later......maybe.
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 01:55:14 PM »
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about??

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution