Author Topic: DPCFN: The Daddyplace CrossFit Ninjas  (Read 7441 times)

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
DPCFN: The Daddyplace CrossFit Ninjas
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:55:40 AM »
 :laugh2:

So a few of us here (myself, Big daddy Eis, z_randy) have been following a CrossFit training program for the last couple of months and have had great success. Me personally, I'm am more fit than I've ever been and I've never been stronger (almost 40). I'm sure the other dudes would say the same.

We have been communicating our daily workouts via DP PM's and a lot of great dialogue has been going back and forth. Stuff that would be of value to anyone looking to get into the program. So I'm going to start opening this up to the rest of the group. If you're interested just jump into the fray.

Each day I'll post a new workout thread. If you do the work post your results and if you have questions one of us can provide answers. But first some background.

So what is CrossFit?

CrossFit is designed to improve cardiovascular endurance, stamina, functional strength, balance, agility, speed, power, flexibility, accuracy and coordination. The workouts employ a circuit methodology and are short in duration and done at a high level of intensity. Focus is on 3 distinct disciplines: Olympic-style lifts (squats, deadlift, cleans etc.), Gymnastics (push-ups, pull-ups, dips etc.) and running.

The program is endorsed by military, police officers, firefighters, MMA fighters, pro athletes and ordinary Joe's like us (even grandmothers.) It cuts across a wide spectrum and applicable to many via it's infinite scalability.

It's not like any other workout program you've used before. You will NOT get bored. It's a different workout every day and will work every muscle in your body. If you want to do bicep curls, look elsewhere.

Workouts use a 3 days on/1 day off cycle. But if you need an extra rest day, don't sweat it. Listen to your body.

What sort of equipment do I need?

To complete most of the workouts you'll need at the very least, a barbell, dumbells, weights, pull-up bar, jump rope, stop watch and running shoes. But you might want to pick up a pair of old school Chuck Taylor's for the heavy lifting. Doing squats in running shoes is like having marshmallows under your feet. No complicated machines in CrossFit. They hate machines.

After that the next piece of equipment most used is a medicine ball. You can pick it up at a sporting goods store or make your own by cutting open an old basketball, filling it with sand then wrapping with duct tape.

The only other pieces of specialized equipment I've needed have been gymnastics rings and a climbing rope. But if you don't have these things there are substitutions for those exercises.

I don't have a lot of time for exercise. How long is this going to take?

You won't need to spend hours in the gym. My workouts have been between 5-30 min. But don't be mistaken. You WILL work your a$$ off. Anything worth doing takes effort. "Easy" is a foreign concept.

I can't lift that much weight. What should I do?

I'll provide scalings for various ability levels. If you don't have a solid base of fitness start at the lowest level and work on good form. Good form is paramount to avoiding injury, so focus on that over speed.

I can't run. What should I do?

Run as far as you can then walk. Rinse, repeat. If you really can't run then ride a bike (or swim). The cycling equivalent to running is 3x the distance. So if the WOD calls for running 1 mile, you ride for 3.

Will I be sore?

Oh yes. Use ibuprofen or "You'll Live™" spray, apply liberally, drink a lot of water (1oz for every 2lbs of body weight), eat healthy and get a good night's sleep.

Will I puke?

Maybe. :)*

Do you want to rely on Obama-care?

No.

For further reference

What it is: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

The exercises: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

The workouts of the day (WODs): http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewforum/16/

So let me end by saying--I'm not going to lie to you--this sh!t is hard. But the results will be obvious after just a month on the program, if you're willing to sweat a little (well, a lot). Luckily it's never too late to get into shape. So what say you?

Now...

3...2...1...GO!

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
Re: DPCFN: The Daddyplace CrossFit Ninjas
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
its great stuff guys... i am loving it, been doing it for about 6 weeks, and have seen some result in definition and strength... short workouts, and days off. but you pay for those days off... its fun!

tigershark99

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »
Hi there,

Okay I am interested in Crossfit.  I was just going to ask for some advice in a weight routine.  Where would I start.  I know that I would be considered a noob lol.

Drew

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:20:05 PM »
believe it or not we are all somewhat Noobs with CF.  Bob not so much.  Typically BobChase will post the daily Workout of the Day (WOD).  He and I typically do that workout.  Randy has another site that he likes, so he will do his, and then we all post our results for the day in that thread.  The title of the thread typically starts with DPCFN: 100908 and then the exercise.  As you look at the workout and gave questions ask away and we will try to help out where we can.  There is also a website where BobChase gets our WOD from listed below.  There are also videos for the various exercises.  The think with CF is you are trying to go nonstop from one exercise to the next in the shortest amount of time.  Taking breaks as needed.  There are some days which are strength days, but most are for time.  Bob and i do 3 days on and one day off, and keep going.  I am unsure what Randy does with his routine.  I am sure Bob will have more to add onto this. But this should be enough to get you looking into it.  The workouts are great and different, and provide for a lot of muscle confusion.

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/

Offline BobChase

• Big Daddy Hero
    • 358 Fitness
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:50:09 AM »
Drew a good place to start would be to try some of the past WODs. They go back maybe a week or two. You'll notice that the thread lists different ability levels, usually with some mix of: buttercups, puppies, pack, porch, big dawgs. Everyone does the same workout but each level has an appropriate scaling of weight, reps, sets. Being a noob you'll start at the bottom (buttercups, puppies). This is for your safety. Even at the lowest levels the WOD will tax your body.

Work on developing good form and technique at first. Injuries occur when form gets sloppy, so keep this in mind. Speed will come once you've become acclimated to the movements and intensity. At the top of this thread is a link to exercise demos. Use it. The videos are an invaluable resource.

Keith and I came into this with a strong base of fitness from running so we've been able to hang with the 3 days on/ 1day off cycle. If you've been active give it a shot. If not, I would suggest 1 day on/1 day off at least for the first month.

Prepare to be sore. :biggrin:

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »
Drew a good place to start would be to try some of the past WODs. They go back maybe a week or two. You'll notice that the thread lists different ability levels, usually with some mix of: buttercups, puppies, pack, porch, big dawgs. Everyone does the same workout but each level has an appropriate scaling of weight, reps, sets. Being a noob you'll start at the bottom (buttercups, puppies). This is for your safety. Even at the lowest levels the WOD will tax your body.

Work on developing good form and technique at first. Injuries occur when form gets sloppy, so keep this in mind. Speed will come once you've become acclimated to the movements and intensity. At the top of this thread is a link to exercise demos. Use it. The videos are an invaluable resource.

Keith and I came into this with a strong base of fitness from running so we've been able to hang with the 3 days on/ 1day off cycle. If you've been active give it a shot. If not, I would suggest 1 day on/1 day off at least for the first month.

Prepare to be sore. :biggrin:

Prepare to be sore....check
Bad form = Injury .... check

Like Bob said.  Watch the form above all else.  Sloppy form led me to an injury last week.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
Here's an article in yesterday's Denver Post on CrossFit.

http://www.denverpost.com/fitness/ci_15996021

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
interesting article Fro, thanks for posting it.  You should join us.  It is lots of fun.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:09:13 PM »
interesting article Fro, thanks for posting it.  You should join us.  It is lots of fun.

I've thought about it, but I'm not sure that my arthritis would permit it.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
oh, ok... that sucks, did not know you had arthritis

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
Yeah, nasty case in my c-spine.  I get pretty bad headaches.  Had one in August that lasted 9 days. It was a lot of fun.  I was doing well with weight lifting earlier in the year but suspended it in June when it flaired up.  So, I'm afraid that CF would do more harm than good in my case.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
dude, that's pretty bad... i am sure that CF would not help much

kruseing_dragon

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
Wow you guys are nuts.
I have to start out by apologizing to you guys, I started checking out CrossFit and have been checking out the WOD that you guys have been doing and I gotta be honest I was starting to think “that’s not so hard”. Well I can’t get to CrossFit SubZero till next week to check it out then I saw the WOD for today and it was one I could do at home so I gave it a go I’ll post results in the thread for today. Let me tell you I have a whole new outlook on CrossFit and can’t wait till next week when I can get to my local box and have access to the proper equipment and coaches to get started. So hat’s off to you guys who are doing it :up: and for those that aren’t yet what are you waiting for it’s the ultimate workout.

Offline BobChase

• Big Daddy Hero
    • 358 Fitness
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »
Great news Frank.

I'm guilty of the "that's not so hard" too. That quickly changes to "what the F was I thinking??? I can't wait til tomorrow!"

The coaching you'll receive will get your technique dialed-in. Well at least you'll know what proper form "feels" like. After that it's just a matter of practice.

To minimize chances of injury you'll want to start at the bottom of the scale for the posted WODs the majority of the time. Good form is more important than haphazardly throwing around your body or a heavier weight. Unless of course one is strictly running--where you're probably very strong--do the top of the scale. When you start to feel like the WODs are getting easier, then move up.

You're going to find that the beauty of the program lies in the variety and minimal time commitment. But to be effective it's heavy on the effort commitment.

Be prepared to get into the best shape of your life.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 03:22:52 PM »
I think Frank needs a badge

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere