Author Topic: CPAP machines  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
CPAP machines
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »
Does anyone here use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea? 

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and the doctors believe that my high blood pressure and heart palpitations are from my sleep apnea. 

I got my CPAP machine today and I start using using it tonight. 

I'm curious if any of you guys have the machine and how has it helped you?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

RobWenn

Re: CPAP machines
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »
I was diagnosed several years ago with sleep apnea and told to use a CPAP machine. Personally, I didn't like it. I couldn't get used to the sound of the machine being on and falling asleep. However, most people I know that use them love them and couldn't sleep without them now.

Good luck.

tigershark99

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »
I was diagnosed back in 2003 with sleep apnea.  I have used mine since then and I hate sleeping without it.  I even have bought a battery for mine so that when I am camping I have it. 

Good Luck,

Drew

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.    Another question.   Did your sleep apnea cause other problems?  Because for me, supposedly, my sleep apnea is causing me to have high blood pressure and PVC's (heart palpitations). 

And if you did have problems, did this help get rid of them?

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

RobWenn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
The only problem that even slightly coincided with my sleep apnea was me being fat, which caused the apnea. Obviously, the CPAP machine didn't help with that.

Offline jbpdvm

• I have lots of guns and an "emasculator". Who wants to date my daughter??
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »
I had sleep apnea several years ago. I tried the CPAP machine for about 6 months. I could never get used to it. There was either too much humidity, and I would feel like I was drowning, or not enough humidity, and it would dry out my sinuses. So I got to where I could take it off without waking up. I would wake up in the morning with the mask next to me, still blowing. Of course, I had some very bad sinus problems at the time, so that is why I had so much trouble with the CPAP. And, because of my sinus problems, sometimes I couldn't breath through my nose, so I had to wear a full face mask, which covered my mouth and nose. It was always hard to get the mask to seal around my beard. I ended up having a deviated septum repair, nasal turbinate resection, soft palate resection, and tonsillectomy.I was absolutely miserable for about 2 weeks after the surgery, but after everything healed, I started sleeping like a baby. I sleep with my mouth closed, breath through my nose, and no longer snore.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

Offline jbpdvm

• I have lots of guns and an "emasculator". Who wants to date my daughter??
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
And I forgot, treating the sleep apnea with either CPAP or surgery will help with the blood pressure. I had high blood pressure, and every morning I woke up with a massive headache. But all that went away after the surgery.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

tigershark99

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
I only had the sleep apnea problem, so nothing changed for me.  A word of advice if you will be using a heated humidifier.  At some point in time you will have what is called "rainout".  Water will build up in the tube and you will wake up feeling like you are drowning.  They do sell a hose cover that insulates the hose.  I have not used this personally, but have been told by other people it works.

Drew

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
Thanks guys.   Mine does have a humidity control.   I was told to set that to "2" and try it out. 

The only problem that even slightly coincided with my sleep apnea was me being fat, which caused the apnea. Obviously, the CPAP machine didn't help with that.

I am roughly about 20 lbs. overweight.  I'm 6 foot and weight 204lbs.  (last time I checked...last week).   I just don't understand why I have sleep apnea.   

Anyway, thanks for your comments.  If you have anymore suggestions, please keep them coming.

joetekken

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »
I been on one for the past 8 years takes some time to get use to but my sleep has been great before I was luck to get 3 to 4 hours of sleep a nigth now am in the 6 to 8 range. I had a very bad  case I would stop breathing for up to a min at a time and this happen about 12 time every hour my wife would not go to sleep just to keep an eye on me thank god I have a good woman that loves me.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
I have been on my CPAP machine now for about 3 mths.  All in all, it's not that bad.   I have taken it off in the middle of the night maybe 4 or 5 times.  Other than that, I like it and enjoy using it.

Mine does have a humidifier built in, but in the last 2 weeks I have emptied the water out and turned the humidifier off.  I don't think I need that part of it.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution