Author Topic: Potty Training  (Read 4176 times)

Tai89

Potty Training
« on: October 08, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »
So we have been trying to potty train my son for over a year now. His turned 4 last March. He is really good about going in the potty when we tell him to, but refuses to go on his own. We have tried bribing him with candy bars and punishing him but neither works. My daughter is just about ready to start, but I don't think my wife and I can handle potty training both of them at once. My son is only here for two weeks and then goes with his dad for two weeks and doesn't seem to have a problem going at daycare when he is with his dad. My wife doesn't work so he stays at home when he is with us. Does anyone have any ideas on what else we can do? I would love to be able to stop buying pull ups cause with one in pull ups and one in diapers it is really expensive and we are barely staying afloat until I can get a cna job.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: Potty Training
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:42:29 PM »
My youngest was nonchalant about staying in diapers.  She could have been toilet trained sooner, but as soon as the novelty of going in the toilet was over, she was happy staying in diapers.  The sticker chart got boring and was no longer a motivation for her.  What finally worked for her was a switch to underwear.  My wife took her shopping so that she could pick out her own underwear.  That did it.  Two accidents and then she was perfect from that point on.   I don't know if the same would work for you, but I thought I'd share.

CrazyDaze

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
We've been working with my son (just turned 4 Sep29) over the past 8 months and it's slowly getting better but still not perfect. We've tried the star chart, punishments and even the underwear route. It all worked for a little bit but nothing has made it mistake proof. The real problem is he won't stop doing something he's enjoying to go #2. He'll take a break for #1 but that's because he can get back to doing what he was enjoying faster.

We stopped using underwear after two months because we got sick of washing them and it was just easier to cut them off and throw them away. Pull ups are far cheaper so my son now only gets to wear underwear to daycare but that's only because my wife is being overprotective of him being teased for wearing pull-ups. Also for whatever reason he either doesn't go #2 at school or at least will have the teacher help him. I really don't understand what the deal is but I've gotten to the point that he stays in pull-ups when he's at home until he's mistake free for over a week. Sad part is John's more than happy to stay in pull-ups. I just wish Luz would not worry about the teasing and force him to daycare in pull-ups my hope would be peer pressure would kick in and he wouldn't want to be the only boy in his class wearing them enough to do something about it. Our running joke has been that when he gets married we're going to give his wife a box of pull-ups as a gift.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »
Our running joke has been that when he gets married we're going to give his wife a box of pull-ups as a gift.

Hopefully he will be trained by then.     :ROFL:

When my daughter was almost 3 we were able to have her potty trained in a week.  We had her go around the house with no bottoms on (whole first floor was tile), we would keep our eyes on her and if she needed to go we took her to the bathroom.  At time we put underwear on, and she would not like the feeling of the wet underwear.  About a week of that and she was good to go for the most part.  She has had minor accidents where she would not want to stop playing and would pee her pants, but that was not that often.  Almost no issues with bedwetting at night (mind you in the training face she was in a pullup).  Best of luck.  In about another year we will be going through the same with my son.

Tai89

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
We tried the underwear trick, and that didn't work. He refuses to go #1 or #2 on his own and has started fighting us again when we tell him to go. I hope it has to do with the fact that everyone has been super stressed because of the move. We have barely finished the upstairs of our house and have not even really started on the downstairs and my parents are coming tomorrow morning to help us move. Hopefully after we are settled again we will be able to make some progress on him, but if we haven't by the beginning of next year I am going to start in on my youngest and hopefully that will give him some incentive to get the hang of it. He knows when he has to go and he knows when he has gone, but sometimes I think he like sitting in a wet or messy pull-up  :banghead:

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »
We went through that battle with Nik, too. What we ended up doing is telling him he was a baby for wetting his underwear. Ticked him off royaly, but he started using the potty. He's had accidents, but mostly when he's playing in his room for long periods of time. We also made him go potty every 15-30 minutes and praised him when he went.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
We did the you get one M&M for #1 and 2 for going #2 thing.  Left a jar of them in the bathroom.  It seemed to help some.  But what it really came down to in the end with my daughter was when she made up her mind to do it.  One day she told us she didn't want to wear diapers anymore and that was it.  Kind of the same way with my son.  He was the second so it happened faster with him.
Now we are trying to figure out how to get them out of pullups at night

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
Now we are trying to figure out how to get them out of pullups at night

The one thing that helped us with Nik is cutting off his drinking anything after 8 and making him go potty before he goes to bed. That's with Nik going to bed @ 8:30. He usually doesn't fall asleep until close to 9:30, and every once in a while he'll have to go potty again before he goes to sleep.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
We have been trying to do that. My son, who is younger, actually wakes up dry much more than my daughter.  It's become a thing after we lay them down for bed (between 7:30 and 8 usually) for my son to come out of his room to pee.  Even if he just did before he laid down.  That may be helping
Thanks Scott!

Tai89

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:08:41 PM »
Since the move he has been doing great. In the week we had in after the move before he went back to his dad, he only had one accident other than overnights.  :BNB: Also, for those that don't have me on facebook, I passed the written exam, but failed the skills for my cna. I'll be taking it again as soon as I can.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
That's awesome Brandon!  And congrats on passing the written.  Not to sound stupid but what is CNA?
How close were you with the skills part?  I'm sure you'll get it next time

Tai89

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »
CNA stands for a Certified Nurse's Assistant. I failed taking blood pressure and with the skills test you have to pass it with a 100%. I passed the other 6 skills though. The way it works is the instructor gives you a random 5 skills out of a list of 24, then you also take vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, respirations [breaths per minute], and temperature) and show them that you know how to wash your hands correctly. For each skill there are main points that you cannot miss. I have trouble hearing the top number for the blood pressure and that was what got me this time. I have a blood pressure cuff at home so I am planning on getting a lot of practice so that the next time i take it i'll get it right lol.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »
I have to take my blood pressure every so often.   it is hard to hear the first beat if it's faint.   

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Tai89

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »
I think I just had better hearing than my examiner cause she said she was hearing it a lot lower.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
Cool!  I'm sure you'll get it the next time.  I give you a lot of credit being in the medical field.  Not sure I could handle it.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution