Author Topic: Do Ask and Do Tell...for now  (Read 4124 times)

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Do Ask and Do Tell...for now
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
A federal judge on Tuesday ordered the U.S. military to stop enforcing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, putting an end to the ban on openly gay troops.

There is a 60-day appeal process and I can't imagine this is going to go without someone appealing, but hey, maybe Aftr can finally rejoin the military!   :laugh2:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/12/judge.dont.ask.order/?hpt=Sbin

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
Re: Do Ask and Do Tell...for now
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
I love how this policy has become the new anti-gay bad guy. It was initially put in place to protect gays in the military. I remember when it was initiated. Before the don't ask don't tell, they asked and if the answer was yes then you could not join the military. If the recruit lied when they said no and it was found out later then not only were they booted from the military, but they were charged with fraud and could do time for lying.

That was then. Was it imperfect? Yes, but at least gays were somewhat protected and could join without committing fraud. There always have been and there will continue to be gays in the military, whether they are hidden or not. It is human nature regardless of whether it is believed to be a sin and/or immoral.

Now the don't ask don't tell is being portrayed as having been put in effect to suppress and persecute gays. I call BS on that. Now that the saber is being rattled to have this "unjust policy" removed, those that are gay had better hope that the policy of not allowing gays in the military is rescinded as well. As it stands now the reason people are kicked out if they tell is not because they tell but because once the military becomes aware that they are gay then they have to let them go. The don't ask don't tell was a work around the "unjust policy" and not really the bad policy that it is made out to be.

Just my $.02

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
I'll preface this by saying I've never served in the military.  I have, however worked with many gay people and never found it to be a big deal.  I'm not sure what the big deal is besides people thinking they will be stared at in the shower.  If someone is willing to volunteer and put their life on the line for my country, I'm not sure I understand why it's not allowed.
As I said I've never been in the military.  Maybe someone who has can shed some light on the downside of gays in the military.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »
see this policy is 2 fold for me.  Personally i have no problems with a gay person being in the military.  They fight no different than i do, they are capable of the same stuff i am, so i have no issues with it.  Now on the other side, under DADT, i am obligated to conduct an investigation if certain criteria are met (open about being gay, caught in the act, etc).  At which time, i would have to recommend discharge from the military.  Seeing as it has been lifted by this judge we will run into numerous issues in the military.  For example, if someone decides to be open about it, they will most likley be tormmented by their peers, i forsee it being held against them for promotions and everything else.  While i do not agree with this, i think that it will happen.  I agree with John, DADT was to protect those who were Gay from having to disclose their sexuality.  It was for their, career, and their safety.

As stated earlier, i personally have no issues with DADT being in place, and i have no issue with gay people serving in the military. 

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
Thanks Captain.  Amazing to me that in 2010 we can't get past this in our society

Offline iDad

• Make my day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 6
  • Helping Dads,all over the www.
    • idadgraphics.com
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Norm
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
I have an idea..........how about we worry about things that really matter in this country for a change.Talkintou Mr Government..  :KissMyAss:

Offline Bigred

• Violating the Princess Bride since 1987
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
Thanks Captain.  Amazing to me that in 2010 we can't get past this in our society

I imagine our society is past this, at least the majority of people.  But as the media and therefore the politicians must cater to the very few this is an issue made to look bigger than it actually is.  Just like there will be someone somewhere in the military that has an encounter with a gay person in the military or some gay person has an encounter with someone straight and somebody behaves stupidly and it will be blown out of proportion and more time than is imaginable will be wasted on trying to rectify this imaginary problem that this one person had and will cause another regulation to be formed and enforced therefore pissing off some other small group, and so on and so forth until the end of time.  It will never end, and the lawyers continue to get richer.

Offline iDad

• Make my day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 6
  • Helping Dads,all over the www.
    • idadgraphics.com
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Norm
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »
"It will never end, and the lawyers continue to get richer.

EXACTLY

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »

I imagine our society is past this, at least the majority of people.  But as the media and therefore the politicians must cater to the very few this is an issue made to look bigger than it actually is.  Just like there will be someone somewhere in the military that has an encounter with a gay person in the military or some gay person has an encounter with someone straight and somebody behaves stupidly and it will be blown out of proportion and more time than is imaginable will be wasted on trying to rectify this imaginary problem that this one person had and will cause another regulation to be formed and enforced therefore pissing off some other small group, and so on and so forth until the end of time.  It will never end, and the lawyers continue to get richer.

its amazing that in the year 2010 we still have sh** like this going on.  Says alot about our society.  And i agree with you guys, it will never end, because it will ALWAYS get blown out of proportion. 

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:39:17 AM »
I've already posted a blog on AKO. In order to prevent from hijacking this discussion thread, I will open up a new discussion as both a response and as a seperate post, if that makes sense! LOL

http://www.daddyplace.com/index.php/topic,16046.0.html
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:41:37 AM by Jessie »

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/30/dadt.service.members/

A majority of U.S. service members surveyed do not care if the law banning openly gay and lesbian troops from serving is repealed, according to a source knowledgeable with the results of the Pentagon study. Members of Congress are to get an advance look at the study Tuesday.

Far from surprising.  I tend to think my first response would be "can they shoot?" and who they want to sex up would be somewhere around 16 or 17 on the list.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • First Name?: Cody
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
Not surprising at all.  I think most of the soldiers, or at least my soldier friends I have talked to about it, just want them to make a final decision and move on.  They are getting tired of this "you can, but you can't" limbo they are in.

Offline Bloodpantha

• Did you trip on that? Sorry. Let me tuck that back into my pants.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 8
  • Reach Football, the new Generation of Halo Sports.
    • Deviant to the Heart
  • Children?: 3; 2 girls, 1 boy
  • First Name?: Andre
  • Xbox Gamertag: dcspantha35
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 10:53:34 PM »
I never personally liked DADT, even though I'm not in the military and have never been, but I've had friends that wanted to join who happened to be gay. I know how it was supposed to be used, but it wasn't always used the proper way, which for some people, made the shield they were supposed to hide behind, a sword turned against them. Honestly, your sexuality shouldn't matter, the only thing that should is your commitment to protect your country as well as your desire to ensure it's freedoms. Now, not saying that because I'm not in the military, that I wouldn't fight, but with the rules of the military and how I am, I'd be kicked out anyway. This is why I haven't joined. The rule about homosexual people not being allowed to join the military though, that is the major problem and truly needs to be amended before this issue can truly be closed. I'd make a horrible politician, I wouldn't lie about anything.
Below is actually a sprite edit of Zero from the Megaman X series from Megaman X4 and beyond. The character I'm creating through the edit is called "Heat".

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:52 AM »
this could possibly be voted on as early as next week, and hopefully it is.  The quicker they finish this, the better for everyone.  The problems come when they drag it out.  I knew that my fellow Soldiers would not care either way with this, especially when we are still fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Now they have the survey as proof.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 08:27:51 AM »
this could possibly be voted on as early as next week, and hopefully it is.  The quicker they finish this, the better for everyone.  The problems come when they drag it out.  I knew that my fellow Soldiers would not care either way with this, especially when we are still fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Now they have the survey as proof.
The question is will they listen to the soldiers

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution