Author Topic: Easy fix or just trashed?  (Read 1497 times)

PJ

Easy fix or just trashed?
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
Ok so here is the story as short as I can make it; I wrecked my 08 Silverado about a year ago.  Dodged a car and smacked the left front into another car. Once all the work was done fixing it, I noticed that the two front tires started to wear quickly and also cup. Now my research had said the culprit was probably bent suspension. I rotated and balanced the tires as soon as I noticed the issue. It has been roughly 4 or 5k miles and the left front only is starting to cup again. Now has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, is there any remedy other than buying a new set of tires every 20k miles?

Thanks for any help!!

Offline pinmonkey001

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
Re: Easy fix or just trashed?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:41:05 AM »
Have you talked to a garage about it?  Most places will give you a free once over and quote.  From there you'd get a better idea of what needs to be fixed and how big/small of a job it would be.

PJ

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
The garage that fixed the truck went over it all and said it was all fine. I guess the thing that gets my attention the most is the fact that the wearing is delayed by a few thousand miles, but its consistent in the time it takes to start wearing as well as the cupping I see.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
I googled Silverado and cupping and found lots of hits.  It seems the model has had this problem for a number of years.   Have you tried talking to the service manager at a dealer to see if he has any suggestions?

Offline vegaskiller73

• Too good to be caught around Damian and Joey
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
Here is a good explaination of what are the causes of "cupping".
http://www.ehow.com/about_5509983_causes-cupping-tires.html

Is this what is happening to your tires? What make/brand/size of tires do you have? I'd be willing to bet that it has more to do with the suspension than anything else. Are all 4 tires doing the same? Or just the side where you wrecked it?

Offline Bigred

• Violating the Princess Bride since 1987
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
if your getting wear on the inside tread of the tire you have too much negative camber, if the wear is on the outside tread of the tire you have too much positive camber, both easily fixable by a shop.  It may be as easy as having it realigned or maybe you may need to replace parts of the suspension, a shop should be able to tell you.

If you are getting wear on both the inside and outside of the tire, then either your running with your tires underinflated or they have a really bad wobble (a wobble so bad it would be noticable by any one in the car, so thats probably not the cause).  If you are getting wear down the middle of the tire but not on the edges than your tires are over inflated.

Since you had an accident and the shop should have checked the alignment it may be that something is bent and needs to be readjusted.  If the shop you took it to left your car out of alignment due to something being bent I would take it to another shop thats better. 

PJ

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:59:55 PM »
Well to try and answer a few of the questions, the cupping is on the inside of the tires. When I first noticed it, both front tires were cupping pretty bad. I rotated the tires and had an alignment done and all went really welly for about 4 or 5K miles. About last week I heard the familiar hum that i heard when the other two tires started wearing, I checked and sure enough the left front tire was cupped on the inside and the right front was starting up. I think I will probably talk with my dealer and see if he knows anything about this issue. Everything on the truck is still stock (running the 265/65/18 option tires) and the garage that did the work checked all the front end parts as I specifically asked them to and was told all was in good shape. The only reason I am so concerned right now is because its almost time to get a new set of rubber, and if this issue is something more than skin deep it will be an expensive continuous fix.

Thanks for all the help guys, you have given me more info in the past day than I had gotten in a few months!

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:13 PM »
It could be as simple as your suspension is allowing your tires to bounce ... i.e., your shocks suck ... Unless, of course, the springs are shot - and, then it wouldn't matter if your shocks suck, or not ...
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution