Author Topic: Diabetes numbers expected to triple by 2050  (Read 3193 times)

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
Diabetes numbers expected to triple by 2050
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »
From CNN today:

Diabetes numbers expected to triple by 2050

If current obesity trends don't change, one in three American adults will have diabetes by 2050, according to a report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Friday.

Currently 1 in 10 adults has diabetes and the CDC estimates about 23.6 million people in the United States are living with the disease.

“Certainly the fact that diabetes prevalence is increasing and is likely to continue to increase into the future isn’t really surprising,” said Dr. M. Sue Kirkman, vice president of clinical affairs at the American Diabetes Association. “The absolute numbers in terms of the projections, are, of course, concerning and shocking.”

The disease is the top cause of blindness, lower limb amputations, heart attack, stroke, dementia and cancer, said Ann Albright, director of the CDC's Division of Diabetes Translation.

But there is some good news from this report: part of the reason that more people will have diabetes in 2050 is that people are living longer than they used to with the condition, a trend that will also continue, Kirkman said. Doctors are also diagnosing the condition earlier, Albright said.

Diabetic? Take this test to see how well you're managing your condition

Nearly 6 million don't know they have diabetes and 57 million Americans are pre-diabetic, meaning they are headed for the condition. In prediabetes, a person’s blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough yet to be officially diagnosed as diabetes, Kirkman said.

CDC researchers studied the rise in obesity in the United States in the study, published in the journal Population Health Metrics. They found that the number of Americans living with diabetes is expected to double and possibly even triple by 2050. The overwhelming majority of these people will develop type 2 diabetes, where the body loses its ability to produce insulin.

Proper management of type 2 diabetes includes a healthy diet and possibly medication – either oral pills or insulin shots. Physical activity is also important, Kirkman said.

Aside from ethnic background, risk factors include having a family history of diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease. The most common risk factor is simply being overweight.

Women with a history of gestational diabetes, a temporary form of the condition that sometimes occurs during pregnancy, are also at risk for developing type 2 diabetes later in life.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that everyone, even without other risk factors, should get screened by age 45. But if you are overweight and have a family history, you might want to get tested earlier.

The connection between diabetes, heart problems and stroke has been highlighted in much research, but scientists do not know the exact mechanism behind it, Kirkman said. One contributing factor is that high blood pressure and cholesterol levels are also risk factors for both diabetes and heart disease. Both women and men with diabetes are at elevated risk of heart attack and stroke.

Excess fat around the midsection is linked to a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, as the visceral fat wrapped around the internal organs can pose a problem, and it increases insulin resistance. Here are eight common diabetes questions answered.

The projected rise of diabetes among minorities is particularly concerning, Albright said said. Researchers found African-American, Hispanic, American Indian, and Alaska Native adults are twice as likely as white adults to have diabetes.

The cost of treating diabetes is also costly and is expected to triple, according to a 2009 report. Treatment requires constant monitoring - checking and recording blood sugar level several times weekly or daily, insulin therapy or even dialysis if diabetes leads to kidney failure.

Only about 5 to 10 percent of people are born with type 1 diabetes, which makes them unable to produce insulin, according to the American Diabetes Association.

Diabetes is at the heart of a lot of health issues, but these predictions do not have to come true, Albright said.

A large number of type 2 cases can be prevented, she said. A smart nutritious diet and moderate exercise, even just 30 minutes a day of vigorous walking, can help maintain proper blood sugar levels and help prevent type 2 diabetes.

Albright said the CDC has a plan in place to help reduce the number of new cases and to help improve lifestyle choices so people will be more likely to eat healthy and exercise. These prevention efforts specifically target communities where access to healthy food and safe places to exercise aren't available.

----------------------------------------

Pretty grim statistics. And when you take into consideration the rising costs of healthcare there's probably going to be a lot more of us in the poor-house.

Offline jmack

• Will draw for food
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • pixelmack.com
    • Visual & Creative Studio
Re: Diabetes numbers expected to triple by 2050
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »
as a type 1 diabetic, this really pisses me off. the majority of type 2 diabetics can reduce and virtually eliminate their disease. watch what you eat. exercise. get up off your ass and move... the result is a drastic reduction in blood glucose levels. combined with insulin absorption medication (glucophage, etc), type 2 diabetics can live long lives. I wish it was as easy for us type 1 diabetics...

/rant over

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
Hey Jeremy I didn't realize you were type 1.  So you do insulin shots every day?  Do you have to watch what food you eat also?
I know my wife was borderline type 2 while pregnant

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline jmack

• Will draw for food
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • pixelmack.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
i used to, now i have an insulin pump (24/7 insulin delivery @ 1.3 units/hour) and a dexcom monitoring system (checks and charts my bg levels every 5 minutes). Gestational diabetes is something else all together, and is unavoidable. I mostly watch what I eat, but as long as I can see the amount of carbs on a label i'm good to go (10 carbs = 1 unit of insulin).

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance on it but how does the pump work?  Do you carry it on you?  You have a port or womething like that?  Hope you don't mind my asking.

Offline BobChase

• Big Daddy Hero
    • 358 Fitness
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
as a type 1 diabetic, this really pisses me off. the majority of type 2 diabetics can reduce and virtually eliminate their disease. watch what you eat. exercise. get up off your ass and move... the result is a drastic reduction in blood glucose levels. combined with insulin absorption medication (glucophage, etc), type 2 diabetics can live long lives. I wish it was as easy for us type 1 diabetics...

/rant over

So Jeremy, based on what I read in the article I'm led to believe that Type1 is genetic/hereditary in nature as opposed to Type2 which for the most part is a result of lifestyle choices? I honestly don't know.

If that's the case I could understand the frustration.

Offline jmack

• Will draw for food
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • pixelmack.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:32:45 AM »
@ Randy: it works wonderfully, goes through a catheter in my side. Ask any questions you have, i'm happy to answer ;-)

@ Bob: experts suspect a combination of genetics with a possible environmental "trigger..." but the ratio is like 90/10, so you're basically screwed if you're predisposed.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »
OK so it's a separate unit that you attach a few times a day?  Or just when needed?

Offline jmack

• Will draw for food
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • pixelmack.com
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
a separate unit that holds insulin. i gat a steady "basal" rate of 1.3 units/hour. I deliver insulin as needed when I am high/am eating a meal via buttons on the machine. It delivers the insulin through a catheter that I need to replace every 3 days or so :-)

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »
Damn.  I guess it's like anything you get used to it. What do you do for swimming or anything like that?

Offline jmack

• Will draw for food
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • pixelmack.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 02:07:57 PM »
It's supposed to be waterproof, but I am paranoid and take it off. I take it off for jiu jitsu and any mma I do as well. I test by BG levels before starting, take my pump off, and have my dexcom continuous monitor nearby that wirelessly monitors my BG levels every 5 mins and beeps loudly if I go above or below a preset "safe" range

Offline Bill

• I beat blue ballz
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
Yeah type 2 is completely preventable and that's the dumbest part in all of this...  Eat smart, be active, live long and prosper...  Eat McD's while sitting infront of the TV for 10 hours a day and boom...  Type 2.

Offline BobChase

• Big Daddy Hero
    • 358 Fitness
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 04:34:08 PM »
Getting carbs under control will help immensely:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »
A cheeseburger, large fries and a large coke from McDs will already set you back almost 200g carbs.  That's not to mention that one meal alone is about 1200 calories.

I know/knew people that would run to McDs everyday to eat and get this.  One of them is hitting about 450 lbs.  I'm shocked as hell that he doesn't have diabetes yet.  I'm certainly no saint though, in fact I was eating bad until a few months ago (nothing like that though) but I knew when enough was enough and luckily I started being much healthier before I got really bad (my peak was 280).

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »
i never really look at the nutritional value of what i am eating, but have been blessed thus far, as i have not really gained any weight since i came into the army in 1997.  The only exception is deployments when i am taking protein, and then when i have gone home and stopped i dropped the 10 pounds (all muscle).  Maybe this time i will keep having protein shakes when i go home.  I need to for CF, but seeing as i am 31 now, i m guessing that father time is going to catch up with me real quick, and then i will get hit with a nasty surprise with something like this... happened to my grandfather.  And my dad gained weight in his 40s, but neither of them exercised... for me, it kinda comes with the job. lol.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution