Author Topic: The Do-It-All Dad  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
The Do-It-All Dad
« on: November 19, 2010, 02:00:42 PM »
  One misconception people have is that when a dad is the primary caretaker of the children there is a role reversal between spouses.  But it seems more like there is a shift in the weight of responsibilities, not a reversal.  I have been watching my daughters for over 6 months and have found that I still do the "man of the house" jobs, yet I have a whole added set of work to do.  The dishes, laundry and cleaning have fallen to me simply because I have more time for them.  On the nights I am not working my wife can enjoy some baby time, and I get to enjoy some baby free time, by volutneering to cook dinner or going to the store to buy milk.  On the weekeneds my wife helps more with the chores and handles more of the cooking.  I don't call that a role reversal exactly, more like roles of convenience.

It is not just the regular chores that are put on dad's shoulders though.  Recently, thanks to the vast (sometimes muddled) resources of the internet, I was able to fix a broken belt on our clothes dryer.  I was able to save $50-75 by buying the part and replacing it myself.  The catch is this took me a few weeks to finish.  Between all the regular chores, errands, baby watching and family parties to attend it seemed nearly impossible to drive out and pick up this $15 loop of rubber.  I was finally able to put it all back together this weekend, ending a month long stretch of drying clothes in the dining room.

What worries me is that we are about to close on a house that is in need of some work.  Although we do have a contractor for the major repairs and renovations, I will try to tackle a few jobs myself.  Most of them are simple patching and painting, but I decided to refinish the floors on the first and second floor myself.  My biggest concern is not if I can do a good job, more if I can get the job done in a timely fashion.

The most important part of being a Do-It-All Dad is being careful not to burn out.  Spreading yourself too thin will ultimately make your work suffer and will affect your personal relationships.  If you want to avoid those stressed out moments, be sure to comunicate with your partner to make sure you are both getting time to wind down.  Even in these tough times the best thing you can do for everyone is higher a baby sitter and have a night out together.

By Nick Adamski
http://www.examiner.com/stayathome-dads-in-chicago/nick-adamski

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution