Author Topic: Time to hit the "reset"  (Read 7882 times)

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
Re: Time to hit the "reset"
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 07:08:29 AM »
Great job Keet! Just don't think of this as a diet. Diets are something you do for a while then abandon. You're making a lifestyle change and one for the better.

A solution for feeling like crap after your cheats is to just not cheat. Subversively, I think that's probably the idea that Ferris is trying to promote. During the holidays I cheated quite a bit and was amazed at how lousy I felt. In the past week I got back on track with bad carbs (no bread, no sugar) and 6lbs flew right off.

I've always believed that one of the keys to successful weight loss was to monitor all of your food intake. Once you become conscious of what and how much you're eating it's eye-opening. Even when I felt like I was eating the right stuff (oatmeal for breakfast clocking in at over 800 calories) I saw just how far off I was on portions.

Lastly, body-weight squats for those knees. Don't listen to conventional wisdom, just do those squats. And work on stretching too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:11:20 AM by BobChase »

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
Great job Keet!  6 pounds in a week s amazing!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »
Thanks guys!

Seriously the more I think about these things, the more excited I get.  The analyst in me starts going into overdrive.

"What other adjustments can I make?"  "How can I tweak this?" "I wonder if I'll get better results if I do this?"  "What is the impact if I..." etc.

Supplements:
Potassium - 250mg with breakfast and dinner
Magnesium and Calcium 500mg right before bed
Policosanol - 100mg before bed
Alpha Lupoic Acid - forgetting dose, at least twice a day
Garlic Extract - I forget the dose, at least twice a day
Green Tea Extract - 350mg, 3 times per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, not before bed)
B-Complex (B1, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folic Acid, B12, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Choline, Inositol) - roughly 100mg of each, once a day
Krill Oil - 500mg - once a day

Entering the realm of TMI, but one of these pills is turning my urine almost a fluorescent yellow.  It's quite an entertaining byproduct of this whole thing.   :laugh2:

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »
one of these pills is turning my urine almost a fluorescent yellow.  It's quite an entertaining byproduct of this whole thing.   

i was taking a multi vitamin and the same thing happened to me.  There are quite a few vitamins out there that do it, but from what i have read it most commonly comes from excessive amounts of B-Complex.  Can you fins alot of these in a multi-vitamin as opposed to all the seperate vitamins?  Just a thought, seems like a lot to have to take every day.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »
I looked at combining what I could at a high level to begin (the calcium and magnesium was one change I made - going to combined).

Most multi-vitamins I found combine different dosages than I was looking for, or include things I'm not interested in.  They also seem to group by end result (heart health, cholesterol lowering, etc.) while I'm looking for items specific to weight loss (different timing, different dosage, etc.).

Once a week I put pills in an organizer...takes all of 5 minutes and eliminates the "what do I take with dinner again?".  So far it's not an issue, but yeah...if I could get it to 2 or 3, that would be great.

I'll be curious to see what comes with the partnerships Tim has with various companies (he's got kits to buy with various supplements to buy from bodybuilding.com) to see if they create the "PAGG Stack" or other such similar multi-vitamins.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
makes sense.  i still need to finish Tim's book.  kinda got side tracked by another book.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
Couple days post measure/cheat day, but here's the latest:

Down 4 more lbs for a total of 10.5 lbs in just two weeks.  Had some rough patches this week with adhering the updated eating habits since I had friends in and out of town all week. Had one night where it was really tough to avoid the beer, but I was good and stuck to water.  It's still a conscious choice to eat better while eating out.  Cheat day made up for it even though, overall, I didn't go as hog wild as last week.

I've been contemplating how I can enjoy more foods I miss during the week while keeping the overall impact lower (calories, fats, etc.) while keeping the glycemic spike.  I'm not going to sweat it if I end up plowing through 1/2 dozen donuts, but if I can minimize, then I should see more consistent weight loss.  I'm not concerned about it, just considering it.

This week saw a smaller breakfast, very light lunch and dinner.  But what a dinner -

Complements of a local microbrew and pizza joint.  Some amber, some ale, some house made marinara and awesome pizza.

Slightly tougher week, but overall still not bad, still not feeling hunger, still losing weight and inches.

Side note - I've upped the quantity of green tea I've been taking in every day.  I've been sitting around 700mg a day, but I missed the part where Tim said his research shows a hockey stick type result as the dosage increases (stays relatively level until the dosage hits 900-1000mg a day at which point its effectiveness increases dramatically).  So I've added green tea drinks as well as the extract to keep my intake over 1000mg per day.  Considering the lack of any real negatives of green tea consumption, I don't consider this an issue or risk.

Offline iDad

• Make my day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 6
  • Helping Dads,all over the www.
    • idadgraphics.com
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Norm
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »
Saw that picture made me realize, I haven't had dinner today..to late now never go to bed with a full belly..my moto

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:23 AM »
great job Keet.  It looks like the plan is working for you.  Keep up the good work.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 03:32:10 AM »
Week 4 ends with a day late check in.  I'm down another 4 lbs for a total of 14 lbs in just a month.  Minus the one week where I messed up the diet, I was on track to meet Tim's estimate of 20 lbs in 28 days. 

I've cut out soda completely, which I believe allowed my weight to drop this 4 lbs this week.  Honestly, just 3 months ago I would have laughed at you if you suggested I give up soda.  I just couldn't imagine not having that carbonated drink.  Now it's all about the green tea from Honest Tea.  Love that stuff.  Beer on cheat day still happens, though.  Not giving that one up (and it's called a cheat day for a reason!).

I already feel like I have much more energy, but now it's time to start the next phase!

I figured I'd give myself some time to adjust, psychologically, to the new eating plan.  On top of that, I knew I needed to get in a rhythm that my body could get used to before I started pushing myself.  So, after a month, I know what to expect with the food, I know the timing of the supplements, I don't anticipate any more surprises, so it's time to start adding the exercise so I can start building strength and endurance for my joining the soccer league!

So I've got a favor/request for you guys.  I've got minimal equipment but need to know what workouts you recommend I do around the house.

Have:
Tim's T-Bar from earlier in this thread
2 low-weight kettlebells
Therapeutic Bands (light, medium, heavy - no weight label)
Treadmill

I'm considering:
HIIT Workouts on the treadmill (sprint/walk of varying intervals) - focusing on barefoot running
Burpees
Turkish Get-Up

Offline BobChase

• Big Daddy Hero
    • 358 Fitness
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 05:42:05 AM »
Great work Keet.

Here's some exercises: http://www.daddyplace.com/index.php?topic=16216.0

Try to get on a regular schedule like 3on/1off or 2on/1off (recovery is just as important as doing the work), and keep the workouts varied.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:34:56 PM by Keith »

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
great work Keet.  14 pounds ia  lot... a big improvement.  I second Bob's recommendation with the link for workouts.  THey will get you fit quick, and take very little resources.  If yo do not have it, one recommendation would be to get a pullup bar for over a doorway, as a lot more workouts will open up with this.  You can find one for about $35 online. 

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
Congrats Keet!  That's awesome!  You're using the 4 hour body book right?  I just got that for my kindle

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 02:05:57 PM »
Sorry Randy, didn't catch the question.  Yep, I'm using Tim's book for all this.

As expected, someone's put together a PAGG stack to help reduce the number of pills. 

http://www.paggstack.com/

Combines the Policosanol, Alpha-Lupoic Acid, Green Tea and Garlic (Allicin)

This is great, really.  Fewer pills at any point is a good thing.  On the downside, Tim submitted a correction that stated you shouldn't take the green tea supplement before bed (even if decaf) as it could still interrupt sleep (I haven't noticed any issues, but I could be in denial).  Near as I can tell, the PAGG schedule should be:

Morning - AGG
Afternoon - AGG
Evening - AGG
Bed - PAG (no green tea, add Policosanol)

I've been running a modified schedule for the simple fact I can't afford the $100+ per month for all these supplements ($20 - $30 each).  I've been following the schedule for the green tea and garlic, with the Alpha-Lupoic Acid and Policosanol only before bed.

Also, burpees are my new swear word.  I hate them.  Not because they're difficult, I don't mind the challenge, I just hate that I'm sucking wind by the 3rd or 4th.   :laugh2:

Offline BobChase

• Big Daddy Hero
    • 358 Fitness
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
BUCK FURPEES!

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs