Author Topic: Time to hit the "reset"  (Read 7310 times)

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Re: Time to hit the "reset"
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »
Foot update.  My stubbornness has prevailed...no doctor visit.

The foot no longer has any sharp pain, though I'm keeping it taped for any activity whatsoever.  I figure, if I'm going to be dumb and not see the doc, the least I can do is try to prevent additional injury.

So far, so good.  Haven't had any issues with sharp pain, and I no longer have to ice it after playing (even if I play for 2 hours or more).  A relief, really.

Activity levels are staying consistent.  At least once a week, though the weeks I have my daughter we typically practice roughly 3-4 hours a week for her.  Add my 2 hour game and I'm still plenty active.  Dreading winter, of course, though I'm focused on getting as much out of summer as I can.  Once winter hits, I'll shift my focus to be about fitness.  I want to get good enough to compete on an adult "C" league team by next summer, so I can't afford to sit on my ass this winter.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2011, 12:06:21 AM »
glad to hear that you are doing better.  Good luck with soccer.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
What Keith said!  Go get em! 
I think I have some Achilles tendinitis in both feet.  Damn tendons ache.  I stretch them all day long.  Just ordered some supports for it

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »
So...update.

I'm playing on two teams this winter.  A c-league team (happened sooner than I thought...I'm addicted!) and the over-30 team.

Foot damage from this summer seems to be healed.  No pain no matter how I stressed the foot.  I still taped it whenever I played, though.  Just had this feeling that my foot would be more susceptible to injury now that it's been injured once.

Oh how prophetic...though not in a way I expected.

This last Saturday I was playing a c-league game.  I was on a breakaway run and was at the end of the field.  There's only a 3-foot space between the field and the wall, so I reached out my hands to catch myself on the wall.

Well...there's also a 3-foot concrete pad between the turf and the wall.  In case you're wondering, molded plastic cleats don't work well on concrete.

My feet slipped out from under me and all my weight came down, burying my left ankle into the wall.

Result?  Sprained.  Not a terrible one, and I have to think I can thank my tape job for that.  The foot is swollen and I have a nice golf ball-sized lump.  I DID go to the doctor (it hurt that bad) and got the x-rays done.  No fracture, but definite soft tissue damage.

So it's back to wrapping, icing and taking ibuprofen to help with the swelling.  Thankfully, I can walk on it, but I have to be careful with any kind of twisting motions.  Sort of critical for soccer, so I'm out for a couple weeks, at least.

Could have been MUCH worse, so I'm thankful.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 09:12:55 PM »
awesome with the  leagues.  How long did the doc say it would take for it to heal?

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
Glad to hear about the 2 leagues.  That's awesome!
But that sucks about your ankle.  Hope it heals up fast

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what damage was done, but not only was I able to walk on my ankle last night, I was able to get a light workout in.

My daughter has team practice Monday & Wednesday, and youth academy on Tuesday and Thursday.

Last night I taped it up and went to watch her practice and got there early enough to see just how bad it is.  I didn't kick the ball with my left foot, but I was able to run and just generally do what I consider a light soccer workout.  I was pretty impressed, overall.  I didn't feel any additional soreness afterward, either.

Not holding my breath and I doubt I'll play this weekend (certainly not in the c-league), but I'm glad I can get out a bit.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 09:09:04 AM »
When I was a child I would sprain my ankle all the time.  I don't know why it was so easy to do back then.  Fortunately for me though, that doesn't happen anymore.  Probably because I don't physically exert myself like I used too.

I'm glad that it was just a sprain though, shouldn't take too long to heal and like you said, you can already run on it.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »
Well, I'm back to playing in all games, already.  I still get pops every now and then that put me on the turf, but those are only when the foot turns in a couple specific ways.  It's only happened a couple times, though.

My step dad sprained his ankle 5 weeks ago and he's just now getting back on the turf, and only for limited playing time.  I really think getting back out there and working through it got me back a lot more quickly.

I'll still be taping the hell out of it, of course, but overall I'm VERY pleased to be back out there (even scored a couple goals this weekend, including one in my c-league game and a very near missed header).

Too much g*****n fun to be sitting on the sideline.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
Great to hear that you are back 100%

crissgill

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »
Long slow distances will burn fat AND muscle making you weaker. To illustrate my point, compare the physiques of sprinters vs. marathoners.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution