Author Topic: Effects of Playing Video Games with our Kids  (Read 1439 times)

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Effects of Playing Video Games with our Kids
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
Original research journal - http://jahonline.org/webfiles/images/journals/jah/feature3.pdf

Kotaku Article: http://kotaku.com/5748687/playing-video-games-with-dad-builds-better-daughters

The Brigham Young study, authored by Sarah M. Coyne, Ph.D., distributed questionnaires to 287 adolescents between the ages of 11 and 16 and their parents, polling them on a number of video game, behavioral, and family-related issues, with the aim to study the relationship between child behavior and parental co-play of video games. They wanted to see what effect playing video games with parents had on children.

Worth studying, really.  I don't doubt there is a benefit, if nothing else I'm doing something my daughter enjoys, with her.  That shared time alone should be beneficial, right?

Did playing video games with a parent have any effect on these factors?

For boys the answer is no. For girls, a definite yes.

Researchers found that girls that played video games with their parents (mainly their fathers - not many mothers questioned admitted they played video games) were better behaved, felt more connected to their families, felt less aggressive, and demonstrated decreased levels of internalizing, which can lead to depression.

In short, playing video games with your daughter can make her a happier, more well-adjusted person.

Ok, I had no idea THAT was the potential of just playing video games with my daughter.  Those with sons appear to not gain any additional benefits, but I still believe the shared time in something they enjoy is beneficial.

Another suggestion, and one that should make any daughter's father feel all warm and fuzzy, comes from the study's co-author Laura M. Padilla-Walker.

"We're guessing it's a daddy-daughter thing, because not a lot of moms said yes when we asked them if they played video games," Padilla-Walker said. "Co-playing is probably an indicator of larger levels of involvement."

So, dads, start playing games with your daughters...and tell your wives/girlfriends/significant others that it will be beneficial for them to play video games with your sons!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:28:24 PM by keetedw »

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
Re: Effects of Playing Video Games with our Kids
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
Agreed Keet.

I would think playing anything with your kids would be beneficial, not just video games.

The family does have a great time together playing RockBand and Kinect Sports. And yes, my wife plays too and she can kick some serious ass on the drums.  :BNB:

Sort of related, if anyone wants to fill in on bass to complete our group hit me up on a Friday night.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:06:25 PM »
Now I have a reason to give the wife to get a video game system!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Gobigorgohome14

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
Agreed Keet.

I would think playing anything with your kids would be beneficial, not just video games.

The family does have a great time together playing RockBand and Kinect Sports. And yes, my wife plays too and she can kick some serious ass on the drums.  :BNB:

Sort of related, if anyone wants to fill in on bass to complete our group hit me up on a Friday night.
Sounds like you have a great, and very well put together family night.
I would love to join you, but my system broke.
I bought my eldest a new Xbox, but that would be selfish to take it from him.
I think Baseball will suffice for now :biggrin:

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution