Author Topic: Guitar Hero is no more  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
Guitar Hero is no more
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »
From Joystiq:

Despite a recent cover story in EGM, United Front's True Crime: Hong Kong won't make it to retail. Activision's latest earnings report confirms the game's cancellation, as well as the end of the Guitar Hero franchise.

"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," Activision said in its financial statement. The statement goes on to confirm the cancellation of True Crime. "The company also will stop development on True Crime: Hong Kong. These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences."

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg went into a bit more detail on today's investor call:
"Despite a remarkable 92 rating on DJ Hero 2, a widely well-regarded Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, as well as a 90-plus rated release from our most direct competitor [Rock Band 3], demand for peripheral-based music games declined at a dramatic pace. Given the considerable licensing and manufacturing costs associated with this genre, we simply cannot make these games profitably based on current economics and demand. Instead, what we'll do is focus our time and energies on marketing and supporting our strong catalog of titles and downloadable content, especially to new consumers as the installed base for hardware continues to grow."
Hirshberg continued, saying that True Crime's development, "was't going to lead to a title at or near the top of the competitive open-world genre." To put things more directly, Hirshberg added, "To be blunt, it just wasn't going to be good enough."

If that weren't enough bad news, Eurogamer also reports that DJ Hero developer Freestyle Games has suffered "severe layoffs," though it's unclear whether the rhythm series has been affected by the alleged redundancies.

Harmonix was dumped and now Guitar Hero is gone.  Seems the music genre is close to being played out.  It's a fun genre, but really, there's not enough variety to justify a game every year.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Guitar Hero is no more
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »
Harmonix was dumped and now Guitar Hero is gone.  Seems the music genre is close to being played out.  It's a fun genre, but really, there's not enough variety to justify a game every year.

I agree with you totally.  Just keep the same game, but release a ton more songs for it!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Leukoi

• Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
GH World Tour was the last GH game I bought.  It had all of maybe 10 DLC songs.  Rock Band series has easily been a $500+ investment for me, given the ability to import/export songs, on top of all the DLC.  I plan to spend a lot more on Rock Band, simply because of the DLC. 

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
I agree...There's just no reason to keep making them. DLC content all the way!

Offline Adrian's Dad

• Cinema
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Cody
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:42 AM »
The Tony Hawk franchise has finally been put out of its misery with this announcement as well.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution