Poll

Would anyone be interested in putting together a DP Cookbook?

Yeah, sounds great
6 (75%)
Maybe, if enough people jump in
2 (25%)
Not really interested in it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: April 05, 2011, 10:19:05 PM

Author Topic: DP Cookbook  (Read 17142 times)

Offline Bloodpantha

• Did you trip on that? Sorry. Let me tuck that back into my pants.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 8
  • Reach Football, the new Generation of Halo Sports.
    • Deviant to the Heart
  • Children?: 3; 2 girls, 1 boy
  • First Name?: Andre
  • Xbox Gamertag: dcspantha35
DP Cookbook
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »
I've been checking the recipes section quite often since it's been added to the site, and lots of the stuff is sounding very delicious to eat. I was starting to think that maybe it would be a good idea to make a Daddyplace Cookbook. No idea on a title or anything yet, but I think it would do a couple things, one; bring new members to DP, and two; it could also bring another source of revenue to the site to help with the costs of running it. The only problem is that we'd have to get it together and published. That costs money, but figuring if anyone who wants to get involved could check around and get pricing from publishers, as well as us putting together a pot for the project, then it shouldn't be as hard to do. I'd gladly do this, but I'm not DP by myself, and I can't afford it by myself, which sucks. But I'd love to get this together for the site.

As far as the actual book, the recipes wouldn't have to be that hard, and if anyone is feeling inspired enough, they can put together recipes for full course meals. Maybe even some suggestions for when your stomach and wallet are both empty, improvisational meals. What do you guys think? I really want to do this for DP, but really need help.
Below is actually a sprite edit of Zero from the Megaman X series from Megaman X4 and beyond. The character I'm creating through the edit is called "Heat".

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Re: DP Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:06:50 PM »
This is a decent idea to raise some money for the site and spread the word.

Kindle publishing may be worth looking into.  Fit in some minor guidelines and you can get 70% of royalties for every book sold.  I realize it loses something in the digital format, especially the e-ink format (lack of good photos), but the simplicity and incredibly low entry cost, as well as the potential for distribution are pretty high (easily linked, easily shared, etc.).  Once you move into the physical product, I think your revenue decreases significantly (from potential 70% down to 10-30%).

Either way, there are some options for self publishing that could be a big benefit if we're starting with low order amounts

What idea were you thinking for the theme of the book?  A dad/parent theme with different sections for different scenarios seems like a great idea.
  • Date night with the wife/significant other
  • Meals for the whole family
  • Cooking on a budget
  • Cooking with dad - recipes kids can make with a little help from dad
  • Cooking for groups - teams, sleepovers, class parties

I'm happy to participate, though I'm not sure how creative I am with the recipes.  Also unsure of the content put up by people who are no longer members of the site.  I don't know if DP owns those recipes/that information because it was posted here or if we'd still need their permission.

Anyway, not a bad idea and I'd be happy to help however I could.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:31:20 AM »
Sounds like a promising idea.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:11:39 AM »
Sounds like a great idea!

I'm no cook so I don't know how much I can contribute to this, but I'll help in anyway I can.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Bloodpantha

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Deviant to the Heart
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:20 AM »
Cool to see that you guys like the idea. The recipes put up by people who aren't members any longer would probably best to be left out, they might not want them to be published, but the recipes would be seen here by any new members drawn in, so the site would have some exclusives, not a big deal. That would just be another reason for people to join.

As far as the cooking situations, I think we'd do well to cover all of them as best as possible Keet. I'll try to come up with an outline sometime soon, but I can't promise it to be done this week, work takes up a lot of my time, and the kids are another portion, as well as my music and writing.

I also hadn't even thought of Kindle publishing, that would probably be the best route to go starting. I do think however, even if we only did minimal number of copies, that a physical book wouldn't be a bad idea down the road.

The recipes could be as simple as putting together noodles and onions, or as complex as you'd like it to be. Maybe some recipes for sauces, soups, chili, and things of that manner. It wouldn't even necessarily have be fresh foods used, just maybe practical foods, things that aren't difficult to acquire to make the meals. Though with the recipes we would always suggest the best items to use as well as suitable substitutions.

I'm going to check out different cookbooks to get a few ideas for format. Who knows, maybe if this goes well, DP can do a series of different books ranging a wide variety of different subjects. I think that's about all I have for now, but I'm glad that you guys feel like it's a great idea. I'd been thinking about it for at least the last 3 months.
Below is actually a sprite edit of Zero from the Megaman X series from Megaman X4 and beyond. The character I'm creating through the edit is called "Heat".

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
Wonder what Chefdad would think about this?   

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Scott H.

• C'mon Boys, we need #6!!!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • And then there were 5
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
I think it's a great idea, especially if Chef contributes. I think he'd write about 95% of it! lol

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us that do.

Offline Bloodpantha

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Deviant to the Heart
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
I too would like to know Chef's thoughts.

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
Bah, I was online with him on xbox last night, too.  Should/could have asked then.  I'm sure he'll be on tonight, though.

Offline Bloodpantha

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Deviant to the Heart
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »
Don't get down on yourself, either way, he'll eventually see it and give his thoughts.

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline Chef Dad

• Let me show you my gall bladder. I have it over here in a jar. Oh wait that's an avocado. Hmmm, you may not want to eat that guacamole.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • damn irish, breeding like rabbits
  • Children?: 3
  • Xbox Gamertag: the irish fuse
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »
I've worked on a couple of cookbooks, my thoughts on this project would be;

1. What would you look for as a dad? Recipes that are fatty and awesome, recipes for the kids, stealthy healthy foods for the family, date night for the wife, BBQ glory? You are our target audience, what would get your attention?
2. I have a tendency to go big, I need your ideas to make this marketable.
3. I'd be happy to format the recipes but I would need help testing the recipes and taking pictures of said recipes. I'll give guidance on plating and taking pictures when the recipes are assigned.
4. This is going to be a lot more work than you think.
Nobody can eat fifty eggs. Except for Takeru Kobayashi

Offline Bloodpantha

• Big Daddy Hero
    • Deviant to the Heart
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
I honestly expected it to be an outstandingly big project, but what you've has brought somethings into perspective, and gives me time to think about how the book should be put together. Now that I have this, I'll actually be able to come up with some decent ideas. I guess we will have to assign certain roles to certain people, and it will take quite a while to get it all done, but it's a worth while endeavor I believe. I'll come up with some stuff and get back to you at least by next Wednesday.

The only other question now is who's in on this?

Action Shots

Achievements

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
Not much of a cook but I think a section on quick healthy meals to feed your kids after you pick them up from school would be great. 

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »
1. What would you look for as a dad? Recipes that are fatty and awesome, recipes for the kids, stealthy healthy foods for the family, date night for the wife, BBQ glory? You are our target audience, what would get your attention?

- Simple, quick, good (good being relative - taste good, healthy, etc.)
- One pot/One pan meals are a big win for the simplicity
- I don't think we want to try to do all things for all scenarios in the first go.  Maybe brainstorm a list and start whittling them down.

2. I have a tendency to go big, I need your ideas to make this marketable.

- I may be able to help here.  My daily job is to take requirements from "We want the world" to "We want these 5 items"

3. I'd be happy to format the recipes but I would need help testing the recipes and taking pictures of said recipes. I'll give guidance on plating and taking pictures when the recipes are assigned.

I can certainly help here.  I think getting the pictures right is going to be tough since we'll all be in different environments with different lighting and different cameras (can't imagine a point and shoot is going to cut it, but I could be wrong).  Might have to ask iDad if he is willing to donate some photoshop time to tweak lighting and such.

4. This is going to be a lot more work than you think.

- And I think this is going to be a lot of work...so....damn   :biggrin:

I don't believe this will be a quick process with all of us having daily lives and families, but I'm in to help however I can.  If we want to start with some brainstorming, I'm willing to look into setting up a conference bridge so we can all get on the phone.  Once that's done, I imagine we can use shared google docs to work through who's working on what and general tracking (approved recipes, photos taken, changes being made, etc.).

It'll be important to keep the end goal in mind as well.  Publishing.  How will we collect the money, will we self publish, what are the pros and cons, what about digital publishing, who (a dad or a shop) is going to do the final formatting, etc.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »
I agree with the other guys.    A quick and healthy section for kids would be a great section for dads.   Along with the one pot/one pan suggestion.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution