Author Topic: Model Rockets  (Read 2989 times)

AM Woody

Model Rockets
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »
Yesterday we were out shopping and I saw some model rockets.  I've always wanted to try it.  I picked up a kit that had everything I needed to get up and running.  I put it together this morning and my son, daughter and I went out to fire it off a few times.  When I got it I thought it would be something the kids would really enjoy.  Turns out, I think I like it better than they do.  It's a blast.  I think I found a new hobby.

Anyone else rockets?  I'm obviously new to it and I'm sure there is more too it than just hooking it up and launching them.  If you guys have any setups or anything cool like that to share, that would be awesome.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Model Rockets
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
I have thought about it before when I have went to hobby shops.    I just thought that $10 engines were too much for me to pay to fire them once.

What rockets did you buy?   Did they fire more than once?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
I'd like to try it with my son when he gets a little older.  Think it would be cool!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

AM Woody

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
I bought the rocket kit at AC Moore for $24.  It came with the launch pad and all the stuff the rocket needs.  Except the engines.  I bought 3 engines for $10 and later found you can get them fairly cheap online.  I found a few places where you can get 12 for $20.  We fired it off twice.  Each kid got a turn doing the count down and pressing the launch button.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
Model Rockets
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:53:38 PM »
That's cool. They do have parachutes for the rockets?

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:21:09 AM »
I never have either, though it does look like a lot of fun.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

AM Woody

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »
That's cool. They do have parachutes for the rockets?

Yea.  Any rocket kits that you get have everything that you need except engines.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
Ok.   Next time I go by Hobby Lobby I'm gonna pick one up.

AM Woody

Model Rockets
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »
They recommend a low powered engine fir the first launch.  I thought it wouldn't go very high.  Boy was I wrong.  If you dint have a huge clear area, you might want to stick with the fist launch recommendation.

I'm have a big field near the house so I'm going to see what some of the bigger engines can do.  Maybe I'll take some video.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
Take some video.  I would love to see it.

krononaut

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 11:56:52 PM »
When I was younger (about 12-13) I was really into model rockets.    Didn't have much parental supervision (more like they weren't interested at all) so I did most of the building and launching on my own.  Started out with the smaller rockets and had a blast.  Had the parachutes and everything.   That was fun for a while but I decided it was time to step it up to larger rockets.  Some of those kits were too expensive for my budget so I figured why not build a model on my own using stuff I had around the house.  It was an awesome design.  The first time I launched it with the smaller engines it didn't even get off the pad.   Didn't have the money to get the larger engines at the time so I had the "bright" idea that I could just tape 6 of the smaller engines together and use a stronger power source to launch all of the engines at once.   That little 9v battery would never do.   A lantern battery seemed to fit the bill.   

So it's late fall and of course the leaves are drying up and falling off the trees.  I setup the rocket and get ready for launch.  I of course had my safety glasses on just in case (you know safety first).  I do a dramatic countdown with my brother and flip the switch.   

Most of the engines kick off all at once as expected, however the engines end up sliding up the rocket a bit and getting stuck causing the thing to burst into flames on the launching pad.  Guess I should have used something stronger than duct tape.  Remember I said "most of the engines" kick off as expected.  Well the others end up igniting which sent the rocket flying off the pad.   It was actually pretty cool at the time watching this ball of flame flying in the air.  The coolness wore off really quick when the flaming ball instead of flying the direction we'd expected took a sharp turn and landed in a fairly large tree.  Did I mention it was late fall and the leaves were dry?   Well, the damn tree burst into flames and at that point I was in a panic.  I was trying to get the water hose over there but it wouldn't quite reach.   

Thankfully our neighbor came out and helped get the fire under control and eventually put out.   Then proceeded to tell my mother that her damn kids about burned the entire neighborhood down.  I don't remember if I got the belt for that adventure or not.   

I decided at that point to just save up my money and get the more expensive kits instead of trying to make my own.   Continued to have lots of fun with model rockets until I moved out to western Oklahoma.  Seems like this area is in a constant drought or in a burn ban any time I have time to go out and launch a rocket or two, so being the one who starts a county wide wildfire is not really something I'd like to experience.

My oldest is finally at an age where he can appreciate this hobby so I'm excited to work with him to build some models and use proper safety techniques so he can enjoy them as much as I once did.    I especially want to do this before he gets curious and decides to start doing some of this stuff on his own.   I really hope I can teach them to be responsible enough to not do some of the crap I did as an unsupervised kid.

Every time model rockets come up this story brings back fond memories of the flaming missile of doom and the lessons learned.

Hope you are able to get your kids to enjoy them as much as you do!

krononaut

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 12:00:12 AM »
Also...   Some of the modern rockets actually have sill cameras (not so expensive) and even video (pretty pricy), so I'm looking forward that!

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution