Author Topic: How do you discipline them?  (Read 3085 times)

dadoftwo

How do you discipline them?
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:15:28 AM »
Being a stay-at-home dad, majority of the household chores are taken cared of by me. My wife works as a government employee and I am left with our two kids, ages 3 and 5 at home. My wife complained that I spoiled our kids too much and she wants me to discipline them for their tantrums or misbehavior. Other than yelling, I couldn't think of anything else to teach them some lessons and I would never hit them. How do you discipline your kids?

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: How do you discipline them?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:55:56 AM »
Well Hit and Spank are two different things to me.   

We ground are children and of course for how long depends on what they did to get grounded.  I yell sometimes too, it's hard not too.   I also spank my kids when I need too, I really don't like to do it, but when my point needs to get across to them this is the way that I have to do it sometimes.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Tai89

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
Another good thing you could try is time outs. We have started having out kids go into time out by putting their noses on the wall. make sure if you do that you don't put them in too long. Usually a good time frame is about 1 minute for every year they've been alive.

Kenny

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
I think the type of discipline depends on age. Time outs don't seem to work for my older kids anymore so I am big on the grounding. Something else I do is punish them by making them write a long letter about what they did wrong. They are not allowed to get up until it is done. Sometimes I settle for an apology letter. I figure why not make them practice hand writing while I am at it. I do spank as a last resort, and I agree there is a difference in spanking and hitting.

Tai89

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
Good point. Age does make a difference. I don't have to worry about grounding my two youngest, but my oldest one we do ground on occasion. I like the letter idea. I think I might start using that.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
I figure why not make them practice hand writing while I am at it.

That is a GREAT idea!  One that I do believe I'm gonna do next time!   Excellent idea.

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
Yeah, Kenny, that's a brilliant idea.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:05:23 PM »
we are still in the timeouts ourselves, but then it is hard to gorund a 4 and 2 year old.  I do like the letter idea, and may do that as they get older.  Great idea Kenny      :plus1:

Kenny

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »
Thanks. There is only one thing to watch out for. My son wrote an apology letter but then realized it was generic enough to reuse. After he wrote it for me he got a hold of it and then gave it to his mother, then to his teacher. He was trying to recycle the same letter to see how many times he could use it. Well his teacher gives it to us at teacher conferences saying how proud she was of him for taking it upon himself to write an apology letter for misbehaving. When we realized it was the same letter he gave the both of us we were surprised. I wasn't really mad, actually it is a pretty good idea. I figured I might start carrying around apology letters to give the wife, lol. Still, thats not the point, can't let him get away with that. So now when he writes one we get rid of it.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
LOL   He sounds resourceful!    That's a great quality!

Offline plano tony

• Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • If it were that easy, everybody would be doing it
  • Children?: 3
  • First Name?: Tony
  • Xbox Gamertag: plano tony
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
I ground mine by taking away everything and anything electronic ... no phone, games, tv, radio, cds ... nothing.

Them: "I'm bored!"

Me: "Read a book"

Them: "Books are boring!"

Me: "Read a better book."

I don't necessarily ground them for a specific time period.  I ground them until the behavior is adjusted, and stays adjusted for 3 days.

Dirty room?  Grounded to books until 3 days after it's clean.  If it takes two weeks to clean it, they end up grounding themselves for two weeks and three days ...

Granted, for a 3 year old, books don't necessarily work - but, find some other activity (coloring, drawing, etc ... something which takes a brain).
If nobody is going to bleed to death within the next 12 seconds, calm down there, Cowboy.

franklin

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
As a man of color, and how I was raised we spank when necessary.  Because I don't have custody of mine and I am young (21) with a 3 year old and an 18 month old I don't spend enough time with them to do more than use a harsh voice.  My older one as he gets older will likely need a swat from time to time because he is not very nice to his mother even at 3 but I would never beat up my kids.

Spanking is different than beating so don't no one get it confused.

shaun

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
It depends on what I am punishing them for but my main method of punishment is to take away things they like. A few weeks ago my son had a tantrum and swore at me, I punished him by unplugging the TV for the weekend.

TrekkerDad

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
I have a preschooler and a toddler, so discipline technique depends on their mood, time of day, transgression, etc. My daughter is very smart and will usually change her behavior with a simple verbal warning. Let her have too short a nap or too exciting a day, and that changes. I always try a timeout first, and if that doesn't do it, i take something away for a day. Usually her favorite toy or blanket. If she's still not behaving properly, she'll get a spanking. Three to five swats with my hand. That almost always finishes it. My son, he's just 1, so it's a matter of stern voice or a slap on the hands. Of course, I try not to yell or lose my temper, but shoot, I've got kids - that's impossible!

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution