Author Topic: How to help kids with this  (Read 2487 times)

JayCeeS

How to help kids with this
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:55:37 PM »
Me and my wife are recently divorced cuz she cheated.

Problem I have is I know for fact she bad mouths me in front of our kids, I don't do this, not in front of them, how do I counter what she says so they don't grow up thinking I am some kind of prick?

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Re: How to help kids with this
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »
I think it'll depend on how old the kids are.  If they're very young, maybe try telling them that sometimes people say things they don't mean when they're upset.

Doesn't sound like you're doing the same, which is great.  Be calm, take it all with a grain of salt and try to dismiss as much of it as you can.  "Oh, you know daddy's not like that."

May not be a bad idea to do some google searching for how to deal with children during a contested divorce.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

JayCeeS

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 12:59:35 AM »
I don't do it in front of them, or even if their in the house, I don't want them within ear shot of such things, no matter how I feel she is their mom and should treat her as such, I would like to have the same courtesy.

It doesn't seem to effect them now, I just want to make sure it never does.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:39:09 AM »
Me and my wife are recently divorced cuz she cheated.

Problem I have is I know for fact she bad mouths me in front of our kids, I don't do this, not in front of them, how do I counter what she says so they don't grow up thinking I am some kind of prick?

I divorced my first wife for the same reason Jeremy!   I got custody of our 2 boys who were 2 and 4 at the time.

She also talked bad about me and hated the fact that I found someone else (of course it didn't help that the girl I dated and married to now for almost 7 years was 10 years younger than me).   My wife and I have never talked bad about her when the kids were around. 

We confronted her about talking about us, of course she said that she didn't, but we know better.   We told her it wasn't right and it was against the divorce agreement.   Eventually, when she noticed that it didn't bother us, she stopped.

Things are a lot better now and we can actually all be in the same room together with minimal problems.  I'm glad that it is the way it is now and hopefully your situation will improve as well!

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution