Author Topic: Storms '11  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Storms '11
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
We have been getting hit with a lot of storms today, especially tonight.    We have had golf ball size hail at my house and within 30 miles or so people have reported grapefruit size hail!

We have been getting blasted.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can talk about storms that we all get during this year in one thread.    Post pics of you get them.

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
Storms '11
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »
Here are some pics I took with my cell phone from the above mentioned storms.

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
Re: Storms '11
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:49 PM »
Damn Keith stay inside!  That storm is supposed to hit us tomorrow but only rain.

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Quagmire

• No, spanking is not wrong. I like it once a day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 5
Storms '11
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »
One of my friends from work lives in lawrenceburg, and he's been talking a lot about this year's crazy weather there in TN. Stay safe! That grapefruit hail is nasty stuff!

Wish we had some of that rain down here in Houston though. We're absolutely parched. Supposed to get some yesterday, but it never materialized.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:51:22 AM »
I hope all is ok at your house Keith.

We got some bad wind here a couple of days ago.   I'm going to have to find some time to clean this all up.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
This was issued for my town today:

"AT 1107 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR BLOOMSBURY...OR 9
MILES EAST OF EASTON...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH."

That's like 10-15 miles from here.  Took some pics of the clouds.  When I took this it was perfectly still out.  I came inside and the wind started and the skies opened up

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
I hope all is ok at your house Keith.

We got some bad wind here a couple of days ago.   I'm going to have to find some time to clean this all up.

:LMAO2:

Crazy weather down there.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
Everything is fine here at my house.  The hail didn't hurt our vehicles or anything, but just down the road most cars where all pinged up.  Several trees down and some flooding.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
great to hear everything is fine Keith.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 08:44:39 AM »
There was another bad tornado in Missouri this past weekend.  More severe weather.   

Everyone safe?  What type of weather have you all had lately?

Heard and interesting fact the other day.   On average, there is usually only 1 EF5 tornado in the United States every year, but during the bad weather a couple of weeks ago, there were 3 of them within 250 miles of each other.    Weird!

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25:20 AM »
We had a tornado warning in NJ again then it was changed to sever T-Storm warnings.  Seems all it has done the past month is rain

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »
I'm in earthquake land, not tornado land.

No earthquakes of note so far, though.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

krononaut

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:23:03 PM »
It was pretty crazy in central Oklahoma yesterday.  Thankfully the tornadoes hit in less populated areas.  A couple of miles to the south and we could have had another event just as bad as Joplin on our hands.

I've lived in Oklahoma all my life, and in central Oklahoma for around twelve years.   I was in OKC during the 5/3/1999 tornado and have been through countless storms.  However yesterday really set my nerves on edge. 

The  NWS was recommending around 11am that people avoid driving in the OKC area or anywhere near i-35 due to the potential tornado threat.   Several local businesses as well as the Gov. of OK were sending employees home early. 

I had the day off trying to get my alternator replaced and a dentist appointment that morning.  Had to go pick up the kid since it's the only car able to handle the car seats so I just took the entire day off.  I'm glad I did.

The Binger-El Reno storm dropped a tornado that was just miles north of us.  We had the sirens going off in town for well over an hour since there were so many storms forming and heading our way. 

We had all of the kid's shoes on, diaper bag packed, Gary England on the TV,  and GRLevel3 http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3/ up and running to watch the storm paths.   If a tornado started heading directly for us we'd get in our hidey hole.     

While the El Reno tornado was moving to our north some other storms were forming down near the Anadarko/Chickasha area that had us directly in it's path.  I'm typically pretty calm during this type of weather.  I live in central Oklahoma... it's life.   After listening to how bad the weather was going to be that day and seeing the reactions by the media and NWS I was actually pretty scared.  If I didn't have four young kids, a wife, home, and two cats I probably would have been out there with friends chasing the damn things.   Being stationary at my house with my family with potentially violent storms heading right for us really had my heart rate up.

Thankfully those other storms never became severe enough to develop a tornado and we ended up with a lot of rain and some dime size hail for around 2-3 minutes.  Of course during this time another tornado formed just to the south of us and was doing quite a bit of damage in the Chickasha area. 

I am grateful that we were lucky with this outbreak.   The El Reno storms were pretty close to my in-laws and we dodged bullets flying all around us. 

While this wasn't a disaster like we had in Joplin it's still scary as hell to happen so close.   I'm glad the storms hit in less developed and  rural areas.  Had they hit Northwest Expressway (north OKC) or Edmond things could have been much much worse.

However not everyone was so fortunate.  Several people lost their lives and I awoke to this heart wrenching story from just the north of us.   I hugged my kids especially hard after watching this on the news...

http://www.news9.com/story/14719106/search-continues-for-missing-piedmont-toddler

PIEDMONT, Oklahoma -- Search crews have expanded the search into two more counties for a Piedmont boy swept away by a tornado Tuesday.

Ryan Hamil has been missing since a tornado hit his neighborhood near Falcon Lake.  Law enforcement and volunteers have been searching the area around the lake, but more than 24 hours later there's still no sign of the three year old.  Crews are now expanding their search from Canadian County into Logan and Kingfisher counties.

Ryan, his mother Catherine Hamil, five-year-old sister Cathleen and 15-month old brother Cole huddled in a bathtub in the family's home when the May 24 tornado hit.  The massive tornado was so strong it ripped the children from their mother's arms.

Catherine told her sister, Jennifer Hill, she didn't remember much after that.

"I don't think she even remembers where she woke up," said Hill.  "She said that she had all the kids in there and she had grabbed Ryan's mattress and she laid down over them and put the mattress over them.  And she was listening over the radio and it was saying that it was over Sorghum Mill and she thought, okay, it's past us. A minute later it was on them."

Emergency crews found Catherine, Kathleen and Cole and rushed them to the hospital. Cole died Wednesday morning.  Catherine, who's five-months-pregnant, and Kathleen, both had to undergo surgery.

Here were the paths of the tornadoes...

[attach=1]

To the north of us...

Code: [Select]
STORM 2... BINGER-EL RENO-PIEDMONT-GUTHRIE

PRELIMINARY DATA...
EVENT DATE: MAY 24, 2011
EVENT TYPE: TORNADO
EF RATING: AT LEAST EF-3
ESTIMATED PEAK WINDS (MPH): UNKNOWN
INJURIES/FATALITIES: UNKNOWN/7
EVENT START LOCATION AND TIME: 8 WNW BINGER 3:30 PM CDT
EVENT END LOCATION AND TIME: 4 NE GUTHRIE 5:35 PM CDT
DAMAGE PATH LENGTH (IN MILES): 75 MILES
DAMAGE WIDTH: UNKNOWN

To the south of us....
Code: [Select]
STORM 3... CHICKASHA-BLANCHARD-NEWCASTLE-MOORE

PRELIMINARY DATA...
EVENT DATE: MAY 24, 2011
EVENT TYPE: TORNADO
EF RATING: AT LEAST EF-3
ESTIMATED PEAK WINDS (MPH): UNKNOWN
INJURIES/FATALITIES: UNKNOWN/1
EVENT START LOCATION AND TIME: 2 SOUTH OF CHICKASHA 5:09 PM CDT
EVENT END LOCATION AND TIME: 5 S WILL ROGERS AP 6:00 PM CDT
DAMAGE PATH LENGTH (IN MILES): 30 MILES
DAMAGE WIDTH: UNKNOWN

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 06:35:39 AM »
Scary story.   Thanks for sharing.   

These type of storms are scary no matter how strong they are.  The stroms that hit here several weeks ago didn't appear to be too strong on radar, yet they were dropping tornados like crazy (for around here).   This year has been terrible for severe weather and that's why I wanted to create this thread to discuss them.

Thanks for your story Kron!

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
Scary stuff.  I used to live out by Kansas City and was watching the storms pass over the town I lived in yesterday.  Old friends were posting how they were watching 4 funnel clouds at a time develop and how they were taking cover.  Mother Nature is pissed off.
Glad you guys are OK

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution