Author Topic: Anyone other than Bob lifting?  (Read 1944 times)

The Oxcart

Anyone other than Bob lifting?
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:29:17 AM »
Just a general question. I spend quite a bit of time lifting and thought I'd see what others are doing.

hailiesdaddy820

Re: Anyone other than Bob lifting?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:30:05 AM »
Im trying to get back into shape. While my wife was pregnant with  our daughter I packed on 37 lbs and I was pushing 200 lbs. I have never weighed that much. About a month ago I started trying to get back in shape after doing nothing for 3 year and close to 200 lbs. In the last month I lost 15 lbs and hope to lose 15 more. I am trying to get back in shape to try out for baseball next spring. I am lifting as well to bulk up.

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:48:52 AM »
i have been doing a lot of running (training for half and full marathons) and my lifting has such fallen off the radar.  I really need to get back into CrossFit, but have been extremely busy, and i keep telling myself each week i will start again, but it always falls through.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
I keep meaning to start back up.  Been trying to lose weight and get in shape so I can stop playing recreational soccer and start playing competitive.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
I train for strength (80%-95% 1RM, 3 x 5, 5 x 3) 4 times a week. 1 lift per day of back squat, deadlift, front squat and shoulder press, then it's usually a short CrossFit metcon for 5-15 min. 1 day per week is a longer 20 min metcon. After that it's skill work: handstands, cleans, snatches, rope climbs, ring work. Time spent in the gym is no longer than 1hr/day.

As soon as my calf heals I'll begin to add more sprinting to get ready for a ToughMudder race in November. Right now the extent of my pure cardio work is cycling a few times per week.

hailiesdaddy820

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »
I train for strength (80%-95% 1RM, 3 x 5, 5 x 3) 4 times a week. 1 lift per day of back squat, deadlift, front squat and shoulder press, then it's usually a short CrossFit metcon for 5-15 min. 1 day per week is a longer 20 min metcon. After that it's skill work: handstands, cleans, snatches, rope climbs, ring work. Time spent in the gym is no longer than 1hr/day.

As soon as my calf heals I'll begin to add more sprinting to get ready for a ToughMudder race in November. Right now the extent of my pure cardio work is cycling a few times per week.
I would love to pick your brain about some strength building techniques and excersises when you have time. I have never really had formal training and just do what worked for me when I was in competitive sports in high school. Of course that was8 years ago. I am trying to build lean muscle so I can compete again in competitive sports.

The Oxcart

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »
I have trunks for legs so I've decided to use them for calorie burning. I currently do a half hour of uphill walking and then do a chest-intensive circuit. I used to do a lot of the percentages and stuff but I'm really just too lazy to focus on it. I just lift until failure, usually 6 sets on my chest. Then I do tri press / curl as a combined, shrugs and side raises combined, single arm cable fly / standing upper rows, and lat pull down in between my chest sets. Takes me about an hour and half, three days a week.

I gained a ton of weight when my first baby came because not only did I have a new kiddo I started seminary a week afterward. So I was sedentary for most of the day, eating greasy cafeteria food. Last May I got fed up and lost 85# until this past May. Now I'm up 15# but I'm putting on some really good mass.

The Oxcart

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »

I would love to pick your brain about some strength building techniques and excersises when you have time. I have never really had formal training and just do what worked for me when I was in competitive sports in high school. Of course that was8 years ago. I am trying to build lean muscle so I can compete again in competitive sports.

A book I think is really helpful is Strength Training Anatomy by Delavier. It breaks everything down by body group. Has lots of tips on lifting for body type and injuries.

Offline BobChase

• Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels
    • 358 Fitness
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Bob
  • Xbox Gamertag: TheBigCieez
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »

Robert, one of the best ways to build strength is to do so in a linear progression fashion. How many lifts you perform in a day is going to depend on your workload. Since I've got to get through a demanding CrossFit workout after my strength work, I will do a single lift. If you're not doing anything else, 2 would be fine. The goal is to work up to and hit a new personal record (higher weight) every session. That is the key to getting stronger. You push your muscles to a point that they've never been and they adapt and get stronger. If you continually lift the same weight you plateau and stall.

A simple program would be to use a weight at 75%-95% of your 1-rep maximum for a particular movement and perform ascending sets of 3 sets of 5 reps or 5 sets of 3 reps. 3s and 5s are your money ranges for getting strong (reps in the 6-12 range will build some strength and add more size. >12 is more for muscular endurance)

Without a doubt the best exercises for building pure strength are the back squat and deadlift. You can move more weight with these than any others and more weight equates to a larger release of testosterone, HGH and other critical hormones. They're also the most functional movements you can perform. Getting up from a chair: squat. Picking something up from the floor: deadlift.

Using the %'s above and a 100lb 1RM back squat as an example a hypothetical program would look like this:
Week 1: 5 x 3
55-60-65-70-80
Week 2: 5 x 3
55-60-65-70-85
Week 3: 5 x 3
55-60-65-70-90 (2)

So on the last set the trainee fails on the last rep and only gets 2. The next week they would use the same weights to get that last set of 3. Or let's say week 4 comes and they feel they just can't get 3 @ 90#, they could then start to work the 5s.

Week 4: 3 x 5
55-65-75
Week 5: 3 x 5
55-65-80
Week 6: 3 x 5
55-65-85

Continue on in this fashion until the 3's are 5lbs less than the 1RM. At this point perform a new 1RM test (with a proper ramp-up in weight). The next week after the test either take the week off or do a half-volume week. Then the following week pick back up with the new %'s.

There are a number of programs that follow this basic philosophy: Starting Strength, Wendler 5-3-1, Greyskull LP. 2 sources that I use for exercise ideas and proper form are Mike's Gym (http://www.mikesgym.org) and Catalyst Athletics (http://www.cathletics.com/)

Whatever program you follow though there are 2 rules that are critical for success:
  • Eat good food
  • Get plenty of rest (8-9 hours sleep per night)

I know that was a lot, but I got on a roll... :beercheers:

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution