Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
Re: IPad 2
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 09:58:46 PM »
If she's not gaming on it, it can be a great desktop replacement.  Just add a docking station, and she can use a regular monitor, keyboard and mouse, and when she wants to, she can just undock and take the laptop with her.

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »
I told her all of those, but she still didn't want one.  You know women, they want what they want.  :)

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »
I told her all of those, but she still didn't want one.  You know women, they want what they want.  :)

Indeed!

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
So downloaded flip book, but it is taking me awhile to figure out Facebook on it,  you have to go through numerouspages to see the updates

mccoym

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
I want an Ipad pretty badly.    I really like the way that DP news feeds looks on there.

Can you edit pictures on them?  I mean if you were a photographer could you do most of the edits on them?

I saw this review of photogene today. Might be what you're looking for.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/03/daily-ipad-app-photogene/

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »
That is a really nice app and for what it does, it's pretty cheap.

Thanks for the info.

New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Quagmire

• No, spanking is not wrong. I like it once a day!
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:17 PM »
I want an Ipad pretty badly.    I really like the way that DP news feeds looks on there.

Can you edit pictures on them?  I mean if you were a photographer could you do most of the edits on them?

If she's doing professional-level photography then probably not.  But if it's just stuff that she shares or posts to Facebook or something, then yes.  I've got an app for my iPhone called photoshop express.  I'm sure it'll work not he iPad as well.  Has a lot of basic photo editing functions, such as effects/sharpen/reduce noise/crop/exposure adjust/etc.

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
She would be using it mostly for professional work.  I was just wanting to find her a more "comfortable" way of doing her work instead of sitting at the computer all day.

Offline itsallbs

• Daddy Jr.
  • Liked: 10
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Brian
  • Xbox Gamertag: itsallbs
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
I'm a fan of makeuseof.com for software recommendations.  Here's a start

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-free-apps-ipad-business-tool-mac/

As for the wife not wanting to utilize a desktop vs laptop vs ipad I totally understand.  We tried one of those tiny underpowered "lifestyle" PC's from Sony before netbooks were the craze and it was pocketbook size but way underpowered and slow.  I think the desire for the ipad has something to do with the novelty and intuitive part of the touch screen, it's also relatively light.  People just love it, including myself  :laugh2:

If it's an issue of processing speed/power the ipad has programs built specifically for the ipad so most programs if not all will run smoothly.

Finally apple vs android, the ipad just seems to get everything right without much "work."  I'm a big time PC advocate but apple is slowly making it's way into my home as I'm slowly shying away from gaming.  My latest purchase from a dying laptop was a mac mini just to try it out and I'm pretty satisfied with it for daily tasks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:52:16 AM by itsallbs »

Offline jmack

• Will draw for food
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 0
  • pixelmack.com
    • Visual & Creative Studio
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
i picked one up, along with a new air for my wife

it seems pretty flimsy after using my macbook pro for so long, but it is nice to have email running full time next to my "real" computer.

I expect to use it almost exclusively to test websites and develop apps on, rather than use personally. maybe to sync with the cloud to get movies and games for Jayden (e.g. so we can go out to dinner in peace)

I'd also like to know about any free apps/games using the motion sensor that i could have fun with!

Offline Keith

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »
How does DP look on it?   :)

Offline itsallbs

• Daddy Jr.
  • Liked: 10
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Brian
  • Xbox Gamertag: itsallbs
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
i picked one up, along with a new air for my wife

it seems pretty flimsy after using my macbook pro for so long, but it is nice to have email running full time next to my "real" computer.

I expect to use it almost exclusively to test websites and develop apps on, rather than use personally. maybe to sync with the cloud to get movies and games for Jayden (e.g. so we can go out to dinner in peace)

I'd also like to know about any free apps/games using the motion sensor that i could have fun with!

Hey Jmack the first app utilizing the motion sensor that I can think of is "metalstorm" and it's free!

krononaut

IPad 2
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »

Few off the top of my head.

Netflix and HBO Go (both require subscriptions) are great for watching movies/videos. My tv provider has an app to watch tv and setup recordings on my dvr (att uverse).  Dropbox is cool for syncing files between your pc and mobile devices. I use rdp to VPN to work if I'm on the road. You can login to a windows box, do your dirty work, and be done. Works on the iPhone too.

My little kids love Angry Birds and fruit ninja.

Pandora is great for music.

Most big news sites have apps.

Skyview is pretty slick. Just point it to the sky and it tells you what stars/planets you're looking at.

GarageBand is fun if you are musically inclined. Lets you creat music tracks on the go.

Really what most others have said, find a site with top app lists. Google top "iPad apps 2011" or 2012 and you can find some gems.

Good luck.

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution