Author Topic: Fsck M$  (Read 1645 times)

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
Fsck M$
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
Hopefully this will serve as a cautionary tale for some of you.  And hopefully there are things I'm just not aware of that could have prevented all this.

My gamertag was "recovered" to someone else's xbox.  First, consider how easy this is to do.  Type in a screenname, click "recover".  Seriously, that's it.  The password I'm not 100% on, but it appears if it's saved so you don't have to enter it, you won't after it's been recovered.  I could be wrong, but failing that, I'm not sure how they got my password.

So, gamertag associated with someone else's xbox and they ran up $125 in charges on my stored credit card (It appears you MUST have stored payment information, having a Live subscription forces that) purchasing MS points (10k of them).

So, while at the office, I see these emails from M$ for payment confirmation.  I called Xbox and said, "hey, WTF?  I'm in the office and didn't authorize these."

What am I told?  "We need system info, so call us back when you have that."

At this point, the 10k points were still on my account.

I go home (late, due to work), and it's too late to call M$ back.  I get the info and call first thing the next morning.  I give the system info and they say, "Ok, this will go to escalations, it'll take about 25 days".  At this point, not only are the 10k points gone, but all other points I had on my account are gone as well.  Not sure what'll take 15 days (from when it happened), one look at my active downloads and I see what they purchased with the points and they it says, "Assigned to another device".  Should be pretty clear it wasn't me.

I also submitted disputes with my credit card company for the two charges I didn't authorize and was notified I don't have to pay them until the inquiry is wrapped up (if they find I still owe).

So, what was M$'s current response to all this?  My account has been suspended.

Attempting to edit payment options both on the xbox and online have failed.  Guess I get to call them back and get this $hit sorted out.

If the games weren't so great, I'd be tempted to ditch...though it's not like Sony has had the best track record either.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
Re: Fsck M$
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:40:12 AM »
They don't seem to care about you.  I bet there is so much of this crap going on they don't know what to do.   I recover my gamertag a lot.   I move it from one xbox to the other so the password is required, but your right, that's ok.   Just gamertag and password and then it's done.   It's very nice and easy to move your gamertag from one xbox to another if it's not being done in a malicious way.

Hope you things get "recovered" soon.   :)

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline BigCöx

• Well, I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • Sloan's Daddy - 12/17/07
    • BC on FB
  • First Name?: Matt
  • Xbox Gamertag: c0dek
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »
I'm in almost the same boat too - woke up the other morning to find out someone had bought about 5k MS points 15 minutes before I woke up. As best I can figure out, they did it thru xbox.com since I'm a dummy and didn't change my Live ID password when another site I comment on was hacked and usernames/pws were stolen. I immediately changed the password, disputed the charges with my bank, and contacted MS. They gave me the 20+ day spiel and locked my account down, but they did give me a 30 day code that I could use on a new account to play while I wait, or add to my account when it's unlocked

AM Woody

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 01:13:59 PM »
This is one of the biggest reason why I don't leave my credit card with Microsoft.  It seems way to easy to hack these accounts.  I hope you guys get everything figured out.

Offline BigCöx

• Well, I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • Sloan's Daddy - 12/17/07
    • BC on FB
  • First Name?: Matt
  • Xbox Gamertag: c0dek
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
Got my XBL access back today, at least they threw me 4 free months of service, I'm now paid up thru April 2013!

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
A week shy of two months and this is still going.  I called in today and the rep I talked to expressed SHOCK that it wasn't resolved.  Said he'd escalate it to his supervisor.

I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, I fired up a temp account with the "$1 for 1 month of gold" deal they had.  Cancelled the auto-renew as well, so at least that was cheap.

Only complaint (beyond the obvious) is that everything I unlock in Battlefield 3 multiplayer will be on this temp gamertag instead of my default...so I'll have to do it again.

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution