Author Topic: Endomondo (Running App)  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
Endomondo (Running App)
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:44:18 PM »
So for you dad's who are tech junkies/enjoy running, like myself, I have found an awesome new running app. I downloaded it for my I-Phone and my BIL downloaded it for his Android phone (not sure which but they share software), so I know that both smart phone's offer it. The name of the app is endomondo and the best part about it is... it's free! LOL. I tried the app out for the first time this morning and these were some of the features I really appreciated:
- I can listen to my music while using the app.
- It kept my phone from going to the lockout screen, allowing me to monitor progress at a glance.
- A voice over announced once I'd hit every 1 mile and my pace.
- I can see my friends that use it and log in through facebook (like me). BTW Keith Eisenberger....Chill, you are making my 2 miles look like a warm up!  :LMAO:
- I can track my work outs, set new routes, join challenges, create challenges, etc. through the website that sync's directly to the app.

In short, it's a great app for tracking progress!

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
Re: Endomondo (Running App)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »
Sounds like a great app I'll have to look it up! Thanks for the tip.
Keith makes all of us look like snails

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 50
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
  • First Name?: Keith
  • Xbox Gamertag: kde79
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
Sorry about that guys, I can just not maintain a slower pace, I find myself going faster, however after reading the book by John Bingham, I may slowvdown a bit from time to time.

In reference to he endomondo app, I have been using it for awhile now (heard about it from Tony).  It is a great app, I ave it for android, my only issue is that I use that, and also a garmin watch for pace, and the further you go the more disparity here is in distanc between the two devices.  Ie the 10 mile run that I went on had a difference of 1/2 mile.  But this is more of a satellite issue, than app issue.  The garmin uses various satellites, whereas the phones typically only use one (I believe).  Overall a great, FREE app.

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:57:45 PM »
So after continuous use, I am forced to admit that this app is NOT perfect. I, of course, knew it wouldn't be but I wanted to give it a shot before critiquing it. I was able to handle the "auto pausing" on my straight out and straight back runs...I figured it had something to do with loss of satellites; I get that. However, today I decided to try the app on my 1/2M track at work. I knew there may be some issues because it's a track made by the National Guard (not a known road), there is very poor signal strength, and there are several trees that at points canopy over the track. With that said, I was shocked at the amount of data loss. I ran 2.5M (5 laps on a track that has been measured numerous times) and the app only registered 2.11M. On the other hand, I was simply able to go into the website (which offers live tracking of info logged by the app) and delete the workout, then manually enter the information...

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
  • Children?: Daughters- Quinn (11 yo), Greta (4 yo), Lucy (2yo), Son- William (8 yo)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
Instead of deleting the entire workout, just edit the milage (or whatever else you need to edit). I need to do this after each workout as it will have me going much further than I actually did. It has to do with the accuracy of the satellites. My understanding is that it will only track one, so it has no way to fine the distance like a gps watch can.  I still use it because of the auto update on the site once you are finished running.

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »
Instead of deleting the entire workout, just edit the milage (or whatever else you need to edit). I need to do this after each workout as it will have me going much further than I actually did. It has to do with the accuracy of the satellites. My understanding is that it will only track one, so it has no way to fine the distance like a gps watch can.  I still use it because of the auto update on the site once you are finished running.
DOH! Why didn't I notice the option to edit!?  :LMAO:

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26:17 AM »
Could have saved yourself some time, lol. 

Offline BigCöx

• Well, I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • Sloan's Daddy - 12/17/07
    • BC on FB
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Matt
  • Xbox Gamertag: c0dek
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:51:01 AM »
I added it recently and am doing 5k walks 3x a week (to start with). I'm not really a running junkie, but I'm doing a 5k walk for American Cancer Society's Making Strides/Breast Cancer research in two weeks, another 5k walk in November, then Warrior Dash in January, so I'm trying to get in shape/build stamina. To be honest, the walk isn't a problem, but if I tried to jog or run it, there'd be some issues. I've tried a couple apps/programs/etc, but this is the first one that actually keeps my interest, especially when Jessie starts dropping some peptalks on you!

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
HAHA, Yeah that was my first time sending pep talks. Shortly there after I sent one to my BIL while he was out running. Apparently Android also lets people know what the person is listening to. Since I knew he was listening to Lil' Wayne, I sent him a nice little "Lil Wayne sucks" pep talk!  :LMAO:

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
I will have to start sending you guys some pep talks when I "see" you out running and walking

Offline BigCöx

• Well, I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 4
  • Sloan's Daddy - 12/17/07
    • BC on FB
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Matt
  • Xbox Gamertag: c0dek
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:37:21 AM »
HAHA, Yeah that was my first time sending pep talks. Shortly there after I sent one to my BIL while he was out running. Apparently Android also lets people know what the person is listening to. Since I knew he was listening to Lil' Wayne, I sent him a nice little "Lil Wayne sucks" pep talk!  :LMAO:

LOL - since I was out with my wife and daughter I didn't have any tunes on this time...

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Hey fellas, just wanted to let you know I am still using this app regularly....well as regularly as I run or walk! haha. I'm at 83 miles right now and my new goal is to have 100 miles covered before September (started using the app last September). I realize that there are those who can RUN 100 miles in a month or two but I will be satisfied with doing it in one year! haha.

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »
Nice job Jessie keep it up!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Big daddy Eis

• Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • I'm back, again.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
Awesome job Jessie. Keep it up

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »