Author Topic: New Tiger Cub Scout  (Read 3206 times)

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 55
  • Don't Panic!
  • Children?: 2
  • First Name?: Randy
New Tiger Cub Scout
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
Well today my son joined the local pack as a Tiger Cub Scout.  And I'm now the official Asst Den Leader.  Going to get OUR uniforms this weekend!
Looking forward to it and Tommy is so pumped up!

Every day, from here to there,funny things are everywhere

Offline Jessie

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 26
  • First Name?: JB
Re: New Tiger Cub Scout
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »
That's awesome Randy! I was a Cub Scout for about a year and I loved it! My dad was also my scout den leader.

Offline Frobozz

• Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 68
  • First Name?: Mitch
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »

Offline Keith

• I have Civil War balls; they're blue and gray
  • Administrator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 77
  • Need any help? PM me.
    • DaddyPlace.com
  • Children?: 4 -- Tyler, Tanner, Kaydence, and Kambria
  • First Name?: Keith
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:04:07 AM »
That's great Randy.   I KNOW Tommy will love it and I'm sure you will too.   When does the camping start?

Great Deals for dads on child products, check out Daddy's Deals
Looking for baby names?  Check out the Baby Name Wizard book
New Dad and have questions?  Check out Be Prepared - A Practical Handbook for New Dads.  Recommended by dads.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Nevada Dads do it with Kleenex and Lotion
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 52
  • Submariners Do It Deeper
  • Children?: One (17yo) Son - Jeremy
  • First Name?: John
  • Xbox Gamertag: SubVet688
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
That is great Randy! You two are going to have such a good time.

This is Jeremy's 8th year in scouts and I have been there the whole way as his Den leader first and now as an adult leader in Boy Scouts.

When he gets old enough you will have to explain to him that to become a Boy Scout he will have to eat his first Brownie.

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »
That's great Randy.   I KNOW Tommy will love it and I'm sure you will too.   When does the camping start?

He'll be able to go camping as long as a parent is with him and for a maximum of three nights. There are usually Cub Scout Adventure Camps put on by the Area Council in the summer for this. Also depending on how active his pack is they may have an occasional overnight camp out. We did it once a year in cubs. In cubs it is also more of a family affair with siblings and moms and all that The real camping out doesn't really start until Boy Scouts. In boy scouts its all boys with a few adult leaders that basically keep them from doing anything REALLY stupid. Stupid is allowed though for learning purposes, as long as there isn't too much blood and/or severe injury.

One of the first things they teach boy scouts is first aid, especially focused on cuts and burns. They do love their fire and there sharp things.  ~o)

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »
Well our first official pack meeting is Oct 3rd which is a campfire.  Have to get OUR uniforms before then.  Maybe tonight.  Then our den meetings start.  First one is on Oct 8th. 
According to the schedule the first camp out is not until next year in June but I'm sure something could be added before then. 
I was a Cub Scout and Webelo, got just about every award you can get and won the pinewood derby.  Scouts I made it as far as Tenderfoot.  Too much working and not enough camping for me at that time.  Wish I would have stayed with it.  I think being an Eagle Scout is a pretty impressive accomplishment.  Plus it looks good on a resume.  I hope he sticks with it

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »
It all depends on the Troop. There are troops that camp once a year at a Council organized week long summer camp and that is it, then there are troops like ours that camp once a month, every month but December. You have to look around and see what you like. Remember regardless if your pack feeds a specific troop, you don't have to go to that troop.

Sorry you may already know this stuff, but I thought I might put that out there for you and any other dad that might benefit.

Jeremy isn't so hot on advancing, but he sure does love the camping and the camaraderie. I love doing it with him too. It's great watching him learn to be a man out in the woods, making mistakes (a lot of them hilarious) and learning from them. That is one thing I love about our troop and I think boy scouts in general. A boy can make mistakes and is expected to, and he is not under so much pressure to posture for peers, because they all are experiencing the same thing and out in the woods there is no one to impress.

I am really excited for you Randy. You two are just starting on a truly great father-son experience.

Please post pictures of both of you in your spanking new uniforms!

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »
I welcome all advice!  been a long time since I did scouts.

Offline keetedw

• Nos Audietis!
  • Global Moderator
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Liked: 34
  • Children?: 1
  • First Name?: Keet
  • Xbox Gamertag: KeetAK
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
I was a cub scout, then boy scout as a kid.  Didn't really get too far as it cut into my baseball time in the summers.  I remember it was fun, though.

My daughter did brownies for a few months before deciding it was cutting into her soccer.

Good luck!

"Some people feel the rain.  Others just get wet" Dylan/Marley

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
My daughter was a Daisy and now a Brownie.  She loves it.  we went last night to get our uniforms.  Apparently every scout in the area went the same day.  had to order a few patches they didn't have in stock like the den patch and the scouting patch.  Also didn't have a leader shirt for me so I had to order that too.  Son loved the uniform and wore it out of the store.  Waled past a mirror and looked at himself and says "Yep this looks good on me" LOL. 
Now to attach all the patches before next Wednesday which is the first pack meeting we'll be a part of which is a campfire.
As a leader I have to take all these safety courses.  Took an online one yesterday that was on the scouting website.  Also have to take a 3 hour course that is next Tuesday night. 
Here's a pic of him in the store yesterday.  Shirts a bit big but he'll be wearing it for at least 3 years

Offline Ramblin' Dad

• Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
Yep that's one proud Tiger there.  :)*

Little dude is stylin'. They are so much fun at that age. Look out though. I too started as an assistant Den leader my first year. Then the leader left and I stepped up. The rest is history.

Be sure to take a lot of pictures as he progresses. It's fun to see them grow into and then out of that first uniform shirt.

Just had to share one of Jeremy, the same age, from seven years ago.  :biggrin:

Offline z_randy

• hurricanes suck
  • Assistant Admin
  • Big Daddy Hero
  • Don't Panic!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
Great picture!  Tommy really wanted me to be part of the den so I don't mind.  Glad someone else volunteered to be the leader before me though :-)
I fully expect to take some other roles in the pack as he stays with it

Sitemap Multimedia Forum
Daddy's Deals DP Daily News Blogs
EBooks Donations Contact Us
Daddyplace Constitution